SP - General Rebalanced Culture Traits

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I'm proposing that each culture be rebalance to have 2 effects that make the culture and adds a viable strength that is fun and interesting.

Sturgia
+20% speed in snow
+15 Vigor skills for infantry in Shieldwall formation

This would make the faction have better shieldwall formations then other cultures which they should unless there is a Nord culture added.

Battania

+20% speed in forest
+15 vigor skills in forest battles

This would simulate that they are better fighters in the woods and use ambush tactics. Think about the Germanic tribes at The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest and why they did to the Romans.

Vlandians
+20% experience for troops
+15% charge bonus damage for cavalry

This would emphasis the strength of their cavalry charge

Empire
+20% building
+15% morale for troops

This would emphasis the discipline of their troops and steadiness of their military traditions.

Khuzait
+10% campaign movement
-15% food consumption

The less food consumption would simulate hunter traditions and foraging.

These are just some thoughts on how to make the cultures a bit more interesting as they are pretty bland at the moment.

Just FYI, you'll never notice +15 Vigor skills. It is a miniscule bonus to attack speed and damage for those weapons. The Khuzait bonus would become really powerful as well, several times more powerful.than it is now.

Also, you forgot Aserai.

One bonus or another can be changed or balanced, but the suggestion is very good. I buy this idea!

I left off the Aserai as they have 2 bonuses and are pretty decent, it is the other factions that needed attention. As far as the numbers used they would be of course subject to balance, but should be enough to make an impact in the right situation.

For example if Battania was fighting the Vlandians in a forest battle, the bonus should be enough to give them the upper hand in both field and simulated battles to win if their armies is about evenly matched.

Adding speed in snow and forests doesn't make sense. I would make sense not having penalties and adding penalties to other factions. This would make their native territory more easy too defend and more difficult to attack.

Cultures having some type of bonuses and penalties is too much of an arcady mechanic.
I would propose to ground this penalties on actual stuff and not out of thin air.
For example, I propose that horses should get speed penalties in snow, desert, forests and mountains. The effect of this would be cultures like the khuzaits will get more penalized since that they rely more on horses.

Basically the culture pros and cons should have a materialize cause. But for example food consumption kinda doesn't need to have a materialized cause because it can actually be a factor derived from a culture or tradition standpoint (foraging...), although, in deeper mechanic, different unit types and different regions could affect it. If this bonuses are actually embeded in unit types for example, it would make mercenaries a very could mechanic.

I also suggest that spotting range penalties should be added as well, following the same logic, native cultures don't get the penalty.
Eg: reduced spotting range for all cultures in forests except for battanians

etc, etc

Back
Top Bottom