Realm of the Falcon: Guide to Names

Users who are viewing this thread

LaudatoSi

Recruit
Hey all!

So I don’t even know if anyone will ever see this, but just In case anyone is interested, here is an informal and basic guide to the nomenclature of the Realm of the Falcon troops. If anyone has any linguistic questions, don’t hesitate to ask as I’d be glad to answer them.

adj. = adjective
n. = noun
oblique = non-nominative (i.e. not the subject or predicate nominative)

Cavalry:
  • Aepele Fealcan
    • Aepele = orthographically regularized form of æþele (noble, adj.). The letter thorn (þ) is often misread as p due to orthographic similarities. Thorn is pronounced as the unvoiced th sound (i.e. the th sound in the word thing).
    • Fealcan = oblique/plural form of fealca (falcon, n.); Fealcan is more recognizable as modern English falcon than is fealca; in Old English, fealca was the base form.
  • Light Renweard
    • Renweard = house guardian (n.). Ren- is a standard reduction of the prefix regn-; this reduction occurs in many Old English nouns. Regn- can mean, among other things, mighty, esteemed, etc. Weard means guardian and is the ancestor of modern English ward. Ren- + weard together is an Old English word for house guardian.
  • Renweard
    • Same as above.
  • Sceotend Fealcan
    • Sceotend = archer (n.). The base verb sceotan means to shoot. The -end suffix is what’s known as the present active participle suffix, akin to modern English -ing (e.g. to buy → buying, to shoot → shooting). So sceotend literally means something like shooter/one who shoots; the normal rendering is archer. Sceotend fealcan can then be taken as archer falcon/shooter falcon/falcon that shoots.
  • Frod Sceotend Fealcan
    • Frod = wise (adj.)
Infantry:
  • Widumann
    • Widu is an accepted form of wudu, which means either wood as in lumber or wood as in a forest. There is the attested word wudumann which means woodsman or hunter, so I would say that widumann should be taken as woodsman. Mann simply means man as in human; for man as in male person, the word wer is used.
  • Bearwesmann
    • Bearwes = oblique form of bearu (grove, n.). I can’t say for certain whether this inflected form would have been natively used in a compound word, but regardless, it’s easily recognizable as meaning grove man/man of the grove/man of the forest.
  • Frod Bearwesmann
    • See above.
Archer:
  • Geong Scytta Fealcan
    • Geong = young (adj.). This is the ancestor of modern English young. Old English g regularly changes to modern English y (e.g. OE ger → ME year; OE giestrandæg → ME yesterday)
    • Scytta = archer (n.). This is another word for archer. Grammatically, it’s different in that it doesn’t stem from a verb like sceotend does. Scytta may specifically denote a specialized archer since sceotend technically just means one who shoots and so could apply to anyone who happens to be using a bow/ranged weapon. This interpretation makes sense as this troop is specifically in the archer tree.
  • Scytta Fealcan
    • See above.
  • Scytere Fealcan
    • Scytere = archer (n.). As far as I know and can tell, there is no difference between this word and scytta.
Noble:
  • Ridere Fealcan
    • Ridere = rider, knight (n.).
  • Frod Ridere Fealcan
    • See above for these three words.

And there we have it! Again, feel free to ask any questions (technical or otherwise) that you may have. Hope you enjoyed it/weren’t bored to tears!

Hey all!

So I don’t even know if anyone will ever see this, but just In case anyone is interested, here is an informal and basic guide to the nomenclature of the Realm of the Falcon troops. If anyone has any linguistic questions, don’t hesitate to ask as I’d be glad to answer them.

adj. = adjective
n. = noun
oblique = non-nominative (i.e. not the subject or predicate nominative)

Cavalry:
  • Aepele Fealcan
    • Aepele = orthographically regularized form of æþele (noble, adj.). The letter thorn (þ) is often misread as p due to orthographic similarities. Thorn is pronounced as the unvoiced th sound (i.e. the th sound in the word thing).
    • Fealcan = oblique/plural form of fealca (falcon, n.); Fealcan is more recognizable as modern English falcon than is fealca; in Old English, fealca was the base form.
  • Light Renweard
    • Renweard = house guardian (n.). Ren- is a standard reduction of the prefix regn-; this reduction occurs in many Old English nouns. Regn- can mean, among other things, mighty, esteemed, etc. Weard means guardian and is the ancestor of modern English ward. Ren- + weard together is an Old English word for house guardian.
  • Renweard
    • Same as above.
  • Sceotend Fealcan
    • Sceotend = archer (n.). The base verb sceotan means to shoot. The -end suffix is what’s known as the present active participle suffix, akin to modern English -ing (e.g. to buy → buying, to shoot → shooting). So sceotend literally means something like shooter/one who shoots; the normal rendering is archer. Sceotend fealcan can then be taken as archer falcon/shooter falcon/falcon that shoots.
  • Frod Sceotend Fealcan
    • Frod = wise (adj.)
Infantry:
  • Widumann
    • Widu is an accepted form of wudu, which means either wood as in lumber or wood as in a forest. There is the attested word wudumann which means woodsman or hunter, so I would say that widumann should be taken as woodsman. Mann simply means man as in human; for man as in male person, the word wer is used.
  • Bearwesmann
    • Bearwes = oblique form of bearu (grove, n.). I can’t say for certain whether this inflected form would have been natively used in a compound word, but regardless, it’s easily recognizable as meaning grove man/man of the grove/man of the forest.
  • Frod Bearwesmann
    • See above.
Archer:
  • Geong Scytta Fealcan
    • Geong = young (adj.). This is the ancestor of modern English young. Old English g regularly changes to modern English y (e.g. OE ger → ME year; OE giestrandæg → ME yesterday)
    • Scytta = archer (n.). This is another word for archer. Grammatically, it’s different in that it doesn’t stem from a verb like sceotend does. Scytta may specifically denote a specialized archer since sceotend technically just means one who shoots and so could apply to anyone who happens to be using a bow/ranged weapon. This interpretation makes sense as this troop is specifically in the archer tree.
  • Scytta Fealcan
    • See above.
  • Scytere Fealcan
    • Scytere = archer (n.). As far as I know and can tell, there is no difference between this word and scytta.
Noble:
  • Ridere Fealcan
    • Ridere = rider, knight (n.).
  • Frod Ridere Fealcan
    • See above for these three words.

And there we have it! Again, feel free to ask any questions (technical or otherwise) that you may have. Hope you enjoyed it/weren’t bored to tears

I was actually genuinely curious about this and tried looking it up individually, then I came across your post much thanks!

Back
Top Bottom