Realistically joining a battle/siege already in progress. And leaving a battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

You approach the seige, the besieging army let you through the gates to help their opponents.

I'm sorry... how invested in some bizzare honor code do you have to be for that to happen?

Simply put, every time a fight is joined, you shouldn't all be put in a starting area, with all your allies, to fight the enemy, who've all been reset to their original place.  Rather, you should join a battle already in progress, and the map should be accounted for so that, if a battle goes on for long enough, another army could join.

If we're talking a castle, Allies could join the defenders a strategic moment, to charge in with cavalry at the flank of the army that's currently invested some of their forces in the walls. It might actually be a reasonable plan to send out cavalry just before a siege for that very attack.

As for on the field, well, it's much the same thing. Reinforcing an ongoing battle. They might be standing off, you might spawn in and reach them whilst they're on top of eachother. It'd just make stuff more interesting.

What this'd need, though, is a good system for running away.  Because a group of light cavalry really aught to be able to get away from the legion of heavy infantry, right, it's a very simple concept. I've got skirmishers, I don't need to invest in a bloodbath. This (as much as I hate it in M+B when your speedy company needs to get slaughtered by an infantry brigade because you weren't paying attention when you traveled and are now in an unwinnable, inescapable conflict you can't avoid without loosing an unreasonable number of troops) will be even more important if an army can show up midway through battle and you just need to get out before they reach you, or you intend to strike a key target/whittle down the enemies through several hit+run attacks. If you can get far enough away from the enemy, maybe hide, or whatever, then you should be able to get out.
If we could ever remove the tiny borders of the battle map, This'd be especially interesting for traders/farmers, where you've got something more like a chase scene than a  battle.

Agreed.
If my allied is being besieged, I shouldn't be able to walk into the castle.

A the same time I should be able to attack the siege camp, thus prompting a battle where my allies could sally forth as I attack from he rear.

Back
Top Bottom