Users who are viewing this thread

Compatible version
I put he mod in modules folder, activated it but when i launch the game it crash with this error;
3SvP8je.png

@Philozoraptor

Thank you for the work you put into creating such a mod.
I was wondering whether it requires a new start or is compatible with previous game saves?
I had tried it a week or so ago with an established campaign, but the game crashed during pre battle deployment when I was reassigning troops. I am going to give it a try again, but this time with a new campaign.

@Philozoraptor

Hi there,

I finally started a new Sandbox Campaign with both RBM and RBCM, no crashes so far after multiple minor battles.The battles lasted longer than vanilla ones and were a whole lot more enjoyable and gratifying.

I have a question though: I joined a tournament and the damage levels were very low, which made the tournament excessively long. The damages were mostly 1-2 HP for sword hits!
In vanilla tournaments, a one on one fight for me was usually over within 3 to 4 hits! which was just maybe too quick, but with RBCM it lasted a very long time to wither down that whole HP pool with 1 to 2 HP damage per hit.

Was that intended or is it just my game that's happening?

Thank you,
APC.

@Philozoraptor

Hi there,

I finally started a new Sandbox Campaign with both RBM and RBCM, no crashes so far after multiple minor battles.The battles lasted longer than vanilla ones and were a whole lot more enjoyable and gratifying.

I have a question though: I joined a tournament and the damage levels were very low, which made the tournament excessively long. The damages were mostly 1-2 HP for sword hits!
In vanilla tournaments, a one on one fight for me was usually over within 3 to 4 hits! which was just maybe too quick, but with RBCM it lasted a very long time to wither down that whole HP pool with 1 to 2 HP damage per hit.

Was that intended or is it just my game that's happening?

Thank you,
APC.
Enable the unit overhaul or play with fair tournament armor mod.

Do you have to start a new game?
By the way, The Unit Overhaul, does it only affect tournaments or also battles?

Last edited:
Since i tried this mod i cannot imagine there will be no overhaul for the vanilla version.
Astonishing great... comparing to the momentary weak development stage of the 'original'.

I just want to ask as I already inquired on the mod itself but also just wished to ask here for greater ease of accessing messages, what's the best way to deal with damage values for this mod to try to bring things to a realistic point. IE, I have 101 body armor of maille but I get torn apart in melee in seconds by just 3 looters with realistic player damage. These are the settings I'm using in the mod but I'm scratching my head on what to adjust to get to the point where maille or lamellar should be able to mostly just ignore low tier weapon damage, as part of the issue is that bannerlord has this exceptionally annoying and stupid flinch on damage mechanic instead of allowing you to tank hits you know you can tank and clobber the guy with the opening which is the entire point of good body protection, reducing the times you actually need to parry. Although I don't think this mod has anything to do with flinch responses, but hey, if that's ever added int he future that'd be great too.

I just want to ask as I already inquired on the mod itself but also just wished to ask here for greater ease of accessing messages, what's the best way to deal with damage values for this mod to try to bring things to a realistic point. IE, I have 101 body armor of maille but I get torn apart in melee in seconds by just 3 looters with realistic player damage. These are the settings I'm using in the mod but I'm scratching my head on what to adjust to get to the point where maille or lamellar should be able to mostly just ignore low tier weapon damage, as part of the issue is that bannerlord has this exceptionally annoying and stupid flinch on damage mechanic instead of allowing you to tank hits you know you can tank and clobber the guy with the opening which is the entire point of good body protection, reducing the times you actually need to parry. Although I don't think this mod has anything to do with flinch responses, but hey, if that's ever added int he future that'd be great too.
You mean that you have combat module installed and activated? Looters will do very little damage to you if you have 100 armor, unless you are wearing no gloves or something like that (because they can cut of your hand with no armor on it). Are you sure that you dont have mod conflict? In general its good to keep your distance from enemy if it outnumbers you but you should be able to trade blows with looters since you are gonna 1-2 hit kill them and they are gonna deal like 3-7 damage.

You mean that you have combat module installed and activated? Looters will do very little damage to you if you have 100 armor, unless you are wearing no gloves or something like that (because they can cut of your hand with no armor on it). Are you sure that you dont have mod conflict? In general its good to keep your distance from enemy if it outnumbers you but you should be able to trade blows with looters since you are gonna 1-2 hit kill them and they are gonna deal like 3-7 damage.
unknown.png

Here's my load order, I don't think it has a conflict considering that the shields, weapon length, etc all seem to work (the new stance system too which feels like it needs a retooling but is pretty good as a base to work off, reminds me of Kingdom Come). If I have damage set to only 25% to player it's obviously not very hard, but with realistic, full damage set a bunch of bandits rip me to pieces and leave me with very little health unless I just shield up. Could try to delete and have the mod generate a new config file and see if that changes things. But just a hit to the head with a sickle takes out a solid chunk of health even with an 88 armor helmet.

Part of the issue is also that while initial damage may be small, the stunlocking when getting hit means that even more hits follow up and cancel attacks which is certainly annoying in dealing with them. I've been playing warband a fair bit (warsword conquest) and it's jarring to hop back into bannerlord in many ways.

EDIT

looking at it the config file was working fine I think, issue is just that while it doesn't look like much, 6 damage is actually quite a lot and swiftly adds up when getting stunlocked from damage flinching resulting in you getting ground down. Things are tolerable at 75% damage reduction settings, but that doesn't equate to damage for everyone wish is my issue as I don't like to play as a superhuman exclusively. Scratching my head as to how to adjust the damage settings to make it so that low tier weapons basically do squat to good armor and force grinding fights in melee to achieve anything realistically. MCM values work pretty nicely in that if you set damage soak/damage mitigation to both 1.3 for say, cutting, this renders a lot of damage very much moot and can be cranked up from there as well. Trying to get these results feels difficult or impossible though. Turning armorthreshold for example to 1.9 still results in pretty consistent 4-7 damage per hit with a looter hammer, potentially as much as 13 from what seemed a lucky strike, not sure what it hit though (something torso, arm armor is a bit less but it's still quite high). Can you push it past 2 and/or is armor multipliers a better thing to adjust?

Last edited:
unknown.png

Here's my load order, I don't think it has a conflict considering that the shields, weapon length, etc all seem to work (the new stance system too which feels like it needs a retooling but is pretty good as a base to work off, reminds me of Kingdom Come). If I have damage set to only 25% to player it's obviously not very hard, but with realistic, full damage set a bunch of bandits rip me to pieces and leave me with very little health unless I just shield up. Could try to delete and have the mod generate a new config file and see if that changes things. But just a hit to the head with a sickle takes out a solid chunk of health even with an 88 armor helmet.

Part of the issue is also that while initial damage may be small, the stunlocking when getting hit means that even more hits follow up and cancel attacks which is certainly annoying in dealing with them. I've been playing warband a fair bit (warsword conquest) and it's jarring to hop back into bannerlord in many ways.

EDIT

looking at it the config file was working fine I think, issue is just that while it doesn't look like much, 6 damage is actually quite a lot and swiftly adds up when getting stunlocked from damage flinching resulting in you getting ground down. Things are tolerable at 75% damage reduction settings, but that doesn't equate to damage for everyone wish is my issue as I don't like to play as a superhuman exclusively. Scratching my head as to how to adjust the damage settings to make it so that low tier weapons basically do squat to good armor and force grinding fights in melee to achieve anything realistically. MCM values work pretty nicely in that if you set damage soak/damage mitigation to both 1.3 for say, cutting, this renders a lot of damage very much moot and can be cranked up from there as well. Trying to get these results feels difficult or impossible though. Turning armorthreshold for example to 1.9 still results in pretty consistent 4-7 damage per hit with a looter hammer, potentially as much as 13 from what seemed a lucky strike, not sure what it hit though (something torso, arm armor is a bit less but it's still quite high). Can you push it past 2 and/or is armor multipliers a better thing to adjust?
First of all, make sure you are configuring the config in the documents folder not in the mod folder (that does nothing once config in documents is created). Secondly, I think there is specific blunt modifier in the config that affect only maces (or other blunt damage sources like rocks). Armor modifier will affect the guaranteed blunt trauma damage - higher modifier less damage. Thresholds affect how much damage is needed to fully penetrate the armor - higher threshold = more damage needed to penetrate. Blunt factor modifies what percentage of the damage is turned into blunt trauma when it is fully blocked by armor (so again affects guaranteed blunt trauma damage).

Also MCM is probably in conflict with RBM combat module, try to disable it and test the game without it to find out.

I am also playing on realistic damage settings. Looters with blunt weapons (clubs and hammers) still do considerable damage (10-20 pts) to lightly and medium armored characters (i.e. gambesons, leather, hide, light mail armor), especially if they manage to surround their adversaries. BTW the AI still prefers overhead strikes, so you usually get knocked down from a head trauma in the early-mid game, when good helmets are still not affordable.

Besides, if you have a body part that is less armored than the rest, you will get lots of DMG on this body part. Especially in crowded melee. Sometimes It may seem that enemies are targeting the least protected part ON PURPOSE. However, I think that the AI is not so good. So, it is a stupid idea to ride into combat with no leg protection or with unprotected head. It almost guarantees a one-hit kill even from the weakest foes.

What really bothers me is stun locking when being hit with an anti-shield weapon (while blocking with a shield). Since enemies don't get tired and just spam attacks, there is little I can do, even with high skills and good equipment. And even cheap tier 1 hatchets are considered an anti-shield weapon.
Duels with bandit leaders are almost impossible to win, since almost all of them are armed with axes or slashing polearms (mid and top tier slashing polearms are still too OP IMHO).

Last edited:
I am also playing on realistic damage settings. Looters with blunt weapons (clubs and hammers) still do considerable damage (10-20 pts) to lightly and medium armored characters (i.e. gambesons, leather, hide, light mail armor), especially if they manage to surround their adversaries. BTW the AI still prefers overhead strikes, so you usually get knocked down from a head trauma in the early-mid game, when good helmets are still not affordable.

Besides, if you have a body part that is less armored than the rest, you will get lots of DMG on this body part. Especially in crowded melee. Sometimes It may seem that enemies are targeting the least protected part ON PURPOSE. However, I think that the AI is not so good. So, it is a stupid idea to ride into combat with no leg protection or with unprotected head. It almost guarantees a one-hit kill even from the weakest foes.

What really bothers me is stun locking when being hit with an anti-shield weapon (while blocking with a shield). Since enemies don't get tired and just spam attacks, there is little I can do, even with high skills and good equipment. And even cheap tier 1 hatchets are considered an anti-shield weapon.
Duels with bandit leaders are almost impossible to win, since almost all of them are armed with axes or slashing polearms (mid and top tier slashing polearms are still too OP IMHO).

Simply removing a lot of two handers would be an interesting consideration for a future modding choice as there is frankly zero justification for their presence in the general historical vibes bannerlord goes for, the Swabian anecdote being trumped up nonsense with no metallurgical or archeological evidence to back it up on Talesworld's part. Really should just exclusively be dane axe as the only form of two handers, with all else using any variety of one handed weapons and shields, pikes, some crude bills, etc.

Part of it is certainly with the issue that Tales devs are just obsessed with trying to differentiate playstyles of factions too much, when for realism's sake everyone is going to use more or less the same loadout. It makes trying to strike a balance in faction strengths a headache and results in such things as the "big axe faction" or "big sword faction" dominating the melee. One of the other issues too is that Bannerlord gutted the far greater utility of the old stat system, so now there is actually not much differentiating a knight from a peasant in terms of combat ability. So just anyone with a two hander, even in **** armor, is a pretty serious threat while in Warband a two hander with only 100 weapon skill in two handed is chump change that'll get cut down in no short order by players or high WS bots. I really, really prefer the old system because of this, and Bannerlord just feels like a significant improvement in only 1-3 zones of gameplay while being woefully inferior to the prior iterations in all other regards, especially in actual combat.

First of all, make sure you are configuring the config in the documents folder not in the mod folder (that does nothing once config in documents is created). Secondly, I think there is specific blunt modifier in the config that affect only maces (or other blunt damage sources like rocks). Armor modifier will affect the guaranteed blunt trauma damage - higher modifier less damage. Thresholds affect how much damage is needed to fully penetrate the armor - higher threshold = more damage needed to penetrate. Blunt factor modifies what percentage of the damage is turned into blunt trauma when it is fully blocked by armor (so again affects guaranteed blunt trauma damage).

Also MCM is probably in conflict with RBM combat module, try to disable it and test the game without it to find out.
I was talking MCM values as in Warband. In any Warband module you can just pop open module.ini and change the armor soak/armor reduction values to say, armor_soak_factor_against_cut = 1.5, and suddenly those pesky silly arming swords doing so much damage goes right out the window and turns melee into a grind with good armor. Trying to find that same kind of balance of armor effectiveness with the config settings is proving difficult to strike, as I don't even feel that good returns when cranking armorthreshholdmodifier up to say, 2, and not feeling that drastic of a change.

Back
Top Bottom