Users who are viewing this thread

Compatible version
We will return to it once 1.6.10 is released, since it is supposed to happen soon and since 1.5.10 seems to have constant updates. So once 1.5.10 is stable "stable" and 1.6.10 is out (which might require huge overhaul).
It would be nice to have you back.

We will return to it once 1.6.10 is released, since it is supposed to happen soon and since 1.5.10 seems to have constant updates. So once 1.5.10 is stable "stable" and 1.6.10 is out (which might require huge overhaul).
1.6.10?

You mean like 1.6.0 or like actually 1.6.10? Because I'd say with the current rate of progress, 1.6.10 is... Uh... Yea.

I couldn't possibly survive 5 minutes without RBM in 1.6.0. The useless armour, the slow ass weapons, the unrealistic damage NPCs deal when I'm literally in full plate, and not being able to use two handers as one handed with a shield sounds like a nightmare.

1.6.10?

You mean like 1.6.0 or like actually 1.6.10? Because I'd say with the current rate of progress, 1.6.10 is... Uh... Yea.

I couldn't possibly survive 5 minutes without RBM in 1.6.0. The useless armour, the slow ass weapons, the unrealistic damage NPCs deal when I'm literally in full plate, and not being able to use two handers as one handed with a shield sounds like a nightmare.
Sorry. I meant 1.6.0. Just updated it.

Oh and btw, the bows and crossbows are a tad... Too inaccurate. At least that's what it feels like. I mean, the arrow drop off is difficult enough to deal with as is, but with the accuracy is pretty much making archery a bigger pain in the arse than it needs to be. Maybe you could adjust it a bit or something? Thanks!

Oh and btw, the bows and crossbows are a tad... Too inaccurate. At least that's what it feels like. I mean, the arrow drop off is difficult enough to deal with as is, but with the accuracy is pretty much making archery a bigger pain in the arse than it needs to be. Maybe you could adjust it a bit or something? Thanks!
Nvm, I see you responded to my previous message on Nexus.

• Version 1.9.3​

• AI module: Improved melee formations in field battles. Soldiers in formations will behave more like people, they will poke each other, attack and retreat instead of attacking like robots. Phalanx, pikewall, shieldwall is more viable, battles are longer.

• Version 1.9.3​

• AI module: Improved melee formations in field battles. Soldiers in formations will behave more like people, they will poke each other, attack and retreat instead of attacking like robots. Phalanx, pikewall, shieldwall is more viable, battles are longer.
I don't know what you did exactly but shieldwalls became so much better, they can actually hold their ground for a very good time now and i've seen troops attacking when the opportunity arose and returning to block in the formation when under pressure, amazing update man!

I don't know what you did exactly but shieldwalls became so much better, they can actually hold their ground for a very good time now and i've seen troops attacking when the opportunity arose and returning to block in the formation when under pressure, amazing update man!
According to our tests with all the modules 500 legionaries vs 500 legionaries went from 2.5 minutes (some 1.5 minutes in vanilla) to 10 minutes. And few dozen good men can hold hordes of looters or other low tier units now.

According to our tests with all the modules 500 legionaries vs 500 legionaries went from 2.5 minutes (some 1.5 minutes in vanilla) to 10 minutes. And few dozen good men can hold hordes of looters or other low tier units now.
Exactly as they should be, i made a few tests here, shieldwall was the absolutely worse tactics before (maybe only circle was worse than it) but now they were able to hold heir ground against other shieldwalls, charging enemies and even managed to hold for like 6-8 minutes against an army of the same size with only two-handed weapons (which would massacrate them in seconds in vanilla)... just wow

Were you able to do these latest changes because of the recent removal of many internal modifiers?

Hi, just wondering if there's future plans for changes to the cavalry AI?

As it stands (1.6.2, latest nexus files as of this post), Infantry AI is feeling really good. They're so much better at fighting within their formations compared to vanilla, it feels like a real battle. Cavalry though, they very quickly lose their formations after the initial charge (normally at an enemy cavalry formation on the same flank), and turns into a scattered clusterfook of horse riders all over the map.

So yeah, are there plans for Cavalry AI? Or any thoughts on it to share? Personally, I think the cavalry AI should have a greater emphases on regrouping & re-charging as a formation, instead of the scattered fighting that happens most battles.

Keep up the good work, I can't go back to vanilla after using RBM for a while now.

Hi, just wondering if there's future plans for changes to the cavalry AI?

As it stands (1.6.2, latest nexus files as of this post), Infantry AI is feeling really good. They're so much better at fighting within their formations compared to vanilla, it feels like a real battle. Cavalry though, they very quickly lose their formations after the initial charge (normally at an enemy cavalry formation on the same flank), and turns into a scattered clusterfook of horse riders all over the map.

So yeah, are there plans for Cavalry AI? Or any thoughts on it to share? Personally, I think the cavalry AI should have a greater emphases on regrouping & re-charging as a formation, instead of the scattered fighting that happens most battles.

Keep up the good work, I can't go back to vanilla after using RBM for a while now.
There is a limit to what we can do with cav AI. We can make them to stick together more in melee, this is obviously bad for charging and kinda does not make any sense. We can make them scatter (they mostly do this when they fight other cav), which makes sense but is kinda annoying. Or we can do something in between. So we made light cav do the scaterring and heavy cav do the behaviour in between.

Only other way is via "scripting" the specific AI moves, however we have very little control over their "lower level" instinctive behaviour, so for example they would probably be less efficient at charging then in comparison to just hitting "charge" button, which is not exactly wanted. So current behaviour is most efficient one we could do at this point, we could do nicer looking behaviour, but it would perform worse on the battlefield.

1. Skill of the warrior is much more important than weapon it self. Damage, speed and handling of weapon is significantly affected by the weapon skill, for now applies to melee weapons. Damage stat of the melee weapon have reduced effect.
  2. Damage with couched lance is strongly dependent on skill. Ballistic damage of the lance is the same no matter the skill, but weight added to the lance by the rider is skill dependent.
  3. Melee weapon skill scaling: swords - low base damage, highest skill scaling; axes - moderate base damage, moderate skill sclaing; polearm - high base pierce damage, low pierce skill scaling, moderate base cut damage, moderate cut damage scaling with weapon skill, couched lance low base damage at moderate speed, high scaling of damage at moderate speed with skill; maces - highest base armor piercing damage, lowest skill scaling.
  4. Throwing weapon skill scaling: Strength (and speed) of throw is based primarely on skill, if you want to deal lot of damage with javelin (or throwing axe) and if you want to throw heavy javelins you need high throwing skill. 10 (5 in case of axe) bonus m/s speed is added to throwing weapons, this speed is not added to the final calculation of damage, this is to make AI throw from further range (just in case you were wandering why you throw like olympic athlete) but the kinetic energy is still correct (so 35 m/s javelin have kinetic energy of 25 m/s javelin).
  5. Bow and crossbow reload rate: Bow and crossbow reload rate was changed to pseudohistorical speed (double speed to be precise), this is set in the combat module config under RealisticRangedReload. By default this is set to 2 - bows will have reload rate of 3 seconds, light crossbow will have reload rate of 7.5 seconds and heavy crossbows will have reload rate of 15 seconds, this reload speed will be significantly reduced by your skill with each respective weapon. When set to 1 - bows will have historically accurate reload rate of 6 seconds (this is how long it takes from quiver IRL), light crossbow will have reload rate of 15 seconds (goats foot lever) and heavy crossbows will have reload rate of 30 (windlass) seconds, this reload speed will be significantly reduced by your skill with each respective weapon. When set to 0 (or any other number than 1 or 2), reload rates will be like in vanilla and there will be no scaling. We believe that value of 2 is best for gameplay of RBM, vanilla reloads are just too fast and make ranged units very OP, realistic behaviour of 1 is on the other hand quite slow and crossbows especially become very atypical since they will fill role of hybrid infantry that will be more relevant in melee than in ranged combat, however if you want historically accurate experience feel free to try it.
  6. Bow drawing speed: When you unlock new bow with your skill, it will have draw speed of roughly 3 seconds, you can increase this speed further by training with the bow (skill scaling), when you have 50 more skill than is required to unlock the bow you will reach 2 seconds drawing speed, your drawing speed will further improve with more skill past that point.
Added in newest patch for beta branch.

Edited

Last edited:
I really like the mod. However, I have noticed one thing. The Azerai (and maybe the Kuzhait?) appear to be massively overpowered for some reason. I'm playing with the "Serve as a Soldier" mod as a Cataphract in the Southern Empire, and it seems like it is absolutely required that we outnumber the Azerai by at least 2 to 1 to even pull off a pyrrhic victory.

I fought in one battle last night where we outnumbered the Azerai by something like 1300 to 600, and we only barely scraped by with 100 men left. We actually lost another battle where we outnumbered them 700 to 400.

Any idea why this is? Or what I could do to try and mitigate the issue?

One concern that I do have right now with RBM is that there seems to be more compatibility issues.

On the Nexus Mods forums, I think that RBM may no longer be compatible with Calradia Exapnded Kingdoms because RBM no longer provides a separate equipment module they said.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

For now what I have been doing is my own XML edits and I think when combined with the Open Source Armory RBM patches should do the trick.

Good work on the mod - hopefully someday mods like Eagle Rising will also be compatible as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom