Reading the Console Reviews coming in is simply mind boggling

Users who are viewing this thread

Out of curiosity I thought I would peruse some of the Console reviews of the last few days.
Scores like 9 ( out of 10 - check )
Diplomacy, Relationships, Depth, Battles, Sieges, Trade, Economy, Kingdom Management, Crime, AI, etc, all gushed about.
Sounds fantastic.

I don't know about you but I'm buying my PS5 straight away to play that version of BL instead of stupid PC !
What an idiot I've been.
i don't know what review are you reading, but take me to the universe you're living on this fantasy

I always enjoy the flimsy argument that because reviews are mostly positive, it must mean the game is superb. It's funny because the people who say that actually believe it. :lol:
On the other hand, if the reviews were going the other way, it would be taken as indisputable proof that the game sucks.

At the end of the day, people do seem to be enjoying the game despite all its flaws. That's not a bad thing. The more successful Bannerlord is, the better chance that other game developers decide to jump into the genre and make their own better versions of it. At the very least it proves that this style of game can sell. The worst case would be if the game was a flop because that would likely mean the end of the Mount & Blade genre.

I don't see positive reviews as much as a surprise honestly.
Most of the people didn't played older mount & blade titles. To those that played, the flaws and shortcomings are much more evident. We come to expect details and systems to be fleshed out, build upon, and expanded greatly. Instead we get kind of "more of the same" but with some things missing and others added, just not the way we were expecting them to be.
To those that didn't played, they are probably having a blast, just like I was having first time I've played warband and I don't blame them for that...
There isn't anything quite like this game still..

On the other hand, if the reviews were going the other way, it would be taken as indisputable proof that the game sucks.

At the end of the day, people do seem to be enjoying the game despite all its flaws. That's not a bad thing. The more successful Bannerlord is, the better chance that other game developers decide to jump into the genre and make their own better versions of it. At the very least it proves that this style of game can sell. The worst case would be if the game was a flop because that would likely mean the end of the Mount & Blade genre.

Not necessarily, no. I mean, I'm sure some people would, but it's the same people think reviews are the end-all-be-all on the positive end, so same mindset in the end. People who understand reviews are not definite evidence would not think that way, not for good or bad reviews.

Oh yea, people are enjoying the game. I don't think anyone has ever really tried to argue that? I also don't think anyone wants to take away from their enjoyment either.

I always enjoy the flimsy argument that because reviews are mostly positive, it must mean the game is superb. It's funny because the people who say that actually believe it. :lol:
Personally I don't think it's superb. I don't think it's abysmal either though.

It's not as good as it could be. But it could also be worse. In the end I am happy that it exists, so I guess things are on the positive side.

Personally I don't think it's superb. I don't think it's abysmal either though.

It's not as good as it could be. But it could also be worse. In the end I am happy that it exists, so I guess things are on the positive side.

I also don't think it's abysmal, I don't think anyone really does. It's just not very good at all, and it should have been.

These poor consoles people are mostly not drenched by the long years of negativity of for example this forum, their lives are not ruined by false promises (or expectations ...). Perhaps it changes over time? Perhaps you need 1000 hours played to see that the game is ... bad? :mrgreen:

You can already start to see the comments from console players on the same cracks/issues that have been highlighted to TW time and time again since the start of EA.
For sure, no doubt, the first couple of hours of a new playthrough are great, but once you to around that time you own a town or two - you've seen it all.

"How dare those console peasants enjoy a game that I've spent a better part of last 6 months spreading vitriol about!" - someone on this forum, probably.

FVdCx.png
The worrying thing is that most of what it says here isn't actually true.

"Bannerlord invites players to weave their own tapestry of ambition and be whomever they like in their own Game of Thrones..." No it doesn't. It's nothing like Game of Thrones, except in that it involves swords.
"... letting them wage war..." Ok, I'll give you that one.
"... engage in diplomacy..." Really? I mean, yeah you can say hello to people, but that's about it. I suppose you can buy or sell things from them as well (at much worse prices than you'd get in the nearest town). Is that diplomacy?
"... fight in arenas..." Yes, but you can't go anywhere with that. It's not a career path. There's no progression there and they're always the same, no matter how many you do.
"... trade illicit goods... " Only in one specific quest - and that doesn't have much effect on anything. You can't actively engage in smuggling networks or anything.
"... be a town alderman..." No you can't. They just made that up.
"... and absolutely everything in between..." Like what? What exactly is there in between these other things? Nothing!
"... one of the most ambitious PS5 games to date." Well, that's a pretty sad indictment of PS5 games, then. It might be an ambitious game, but hardly any of those ambitions have been realised, unfortunately. Therein lies the disappointment.

Console player here - I have put in 70 hours since release and haven't started to get bored yet. In fact I just keep discovering new features in the game like a town that just rebelled for example. The comments about this game lacking content are just laughable. I got my monies worth 30 hours of gameplay ago.

I am a console player as well and I keep finding new strategies and ways to play the game. I love it. The graphics are very good. While the multiplayer function has been buggy to say the least, the campaign and sandbox are incredible and I would love to see this game advance and succeed. If this game were to have another version come out, I would definitely buy it.

The worrying thing is that most of what it says here isn't actually true.

"Bannerlord invites players to weave their own tapestry of ambition and be whomever they like in their own Game of Thrones..." No it doesn't. It's nothing like Game of Thrones, except in that it involves swords.
"... letting them wage war..." Ok, I'll give you that one.
"... engage in diplomacy..." Really? I mean, yeah you can say hello to people, but that's about it. I suppose you can buy or sell things from them as well (at much worse prices than you'd get in the nearest town). Is that diplomacy?
"... fight in arenas..." Yes, but you can't go anywhere with that. It's not a career path. There's no progression there and they're always the same, no matter how many you do.
"... trade illicit goods... " Only in one specific quest - and that doesn't have much effect on anything. You can't actively engage in smuggling networks or anything.
"... be a town alderman..." No you can't. They just made that up.
"... and absolutely everything in between..." Like what? What exactly is there in between these other things? Nothing!
"... one of the most ambitious PS5 games to date." Well, that's a pretty sad indictment of PS5 games, then. It might be an ambitious game, but hardly any of those ambitions have been realised, unfortunately. Therein lies the disappointment.
Hence mind - boggling.

This is easy to explain. They are blinded and high on novelty. Not having much actual knowledge and experience about M&B in it's entirety, that includes mods, also adds to that.

Just gotta wait. Eventually, they will come to the same conclusions.

"How dare those console peasants enjoy a game that I've spent a better part of last 6 months spreading vitriol about!" - someone on this forum, probably.
I can already see the tears on the console's players eyes when they're told that their opinion is wrong, oh what a tragedy.

How surprising. You get out of the bubble of all the entitled cry babies on this forum and their is positive support and something other than negativity.

Maybe, just maybe, the game isn't the problem. Maybe it's the army of entitled candy asses on this forum that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom