Users who are viewing this thread

Gingy

Recruit
Does anyone know what the ranks argument does in module_factions.py or how it's structured?
Using module system 1.171
Been looking through mods and I don't see any of them using it,

factions.txt - I've been looking at these to know if it's being used, I might be wrong
fac_neutral Neutral 0 16777215
. 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.100000 0.000000 . . .
0 fac_innocents Innocents 1 11184810
. 0.000000 0.000000 -0.050000 0.000000 0.500000 . . .
0 fac_merchants Merchants 1 11184810

It is, as SupaNinjaMan wrote, a vestigial feature from the M&B versions 0.7xx and earlier - you could earn faction reputation from quests and earn stipends from being a retainer. Instead of being a vassal holding land and such, you used to get paid by advancing in ranks. It is now deprecated and not getting used anymore.

And yes, plans are there to utilize it, we only don't know yet with what :lol:

Upvote 1
I was curious about these too. It's nice to see someone else asking :smile:
How do you use these? Only operation contains "rank" is "party_get_attached_party_with_rank" and i'm not sure whether or not it's related to these.

Upvote 0
There is no direct way to use it. The idea would be a workaround via Python at the process and header file which grabs the data and sticks them in slots. It is nothing big which couldn't be done with other methods but it might be more comfortable to add some entry directly at a troop tuple which gets then processed automatically instead of handling it manually in another script. The question now would only be: Which info could be useful to store there? :lol:

Upvote 0
I was trying to learn their usage so i can include a way to edit them in the text file editor i am making. No ingame access means it's useless to edit them in the text files.
And what does that emoji mean (:razz:)?

Upvote 0
It is, as SupaNinjaMan wrote, a vestigial feature from the M&B versions 0.7xx and earlier - you could earn faction reputation from quests and earn stipends from being a retainer. Instead of being a vassal holding land and such, you used to get paid by advancing in ranks. It is now deprecated and not getting used anymore.

And yes, plans are there to utilize it, we only don't know yet with what :lol:
If you have to think of a use, then you don't need it. :smile:
I don't know what you guys are doing with the module system and the process scripts, but maybe you could use the rank list for... names of informal ranks. That is, names you are being called depending on your progress (like level) by that faction lords. You need to sprinkle the usage through the lord dialogs.
Or if you are strategic AI fans, it may be a priority list of centers for conquest, which has some weight in the marshall AI decisions.

Upvote 0
And what does that emoji mean (:razz:)?
It's some emoji to poke one's tongue out at so.
If you have to think of a use, then you don't need it. :smile:
Yes, we are fully aware of this. It got on the list 'would-be-possible-in-case-we-find-good-use-for-it' when we noticed it a few days ago, without putting any energy into it yet. Theory talk if you want to name it such ^^
I don't know what you guys are doing with the module system and the process scripts, but maybe you could use the rank list for... names of informal ranks. That is, names you are being called depending on your progress (like level) by that faction lords. You need to sprinkle the usage through the lord dialogs.
Or if you are strategic AI fans, it may be a priority list of centers for conquest, which has some weight in the marshall AI decisions.
Using it for ranks would be the most obvious option, I however think that the systematic in TLD works very well for that. The priority list of centers for conquest sounds like a very interesting idea. It would require some knowledge about the AI decission making, so one would need to take some time for it to get it done properly. Will keep it in mind, thanks!

Upvote 0
It would be more latter one, so something which can be useful for everyone. A Community Module System is planned to do at a later step which fixes some bugs and enhances it a bit. It would also contain the new Modding Guide which I am writting down at the moment, integrating information snippets from across the whole Forge (and asking K700 for the rest).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.
Is the script that recursive mentioned, 'party_get_attached_party_with_rank, or ':attached_party_rank' related to ranks in factions? Or are they used for something else?

Code:
# Inside "game_event_simulate_battle" in "module_scripts"
# center defeated block
(party_get_num_attached_parties, ":num_attached_parties",  ":root_attacker_party"),
(try_for_range, ":attached_party_rank", 0, ":num_attached_parties"),
    (party_get_attached_party_with_rank, ":attached_party", ":root_attacker_party", ":attached_party_rank"),

(party_get_num_companion_stacks, ":num_stacks", ":attached_party"),                 
    (assign, ":total_size", 0),

(try_for_range, ":i_stack", 0, ":num_stacks"),
        (party_stack_get_size, ":stack_size", ":attached_party", ":i_stack"),
        (val_add, ":total_size", ":stack_size"),
    (try_end), 

. . .

Upvote 0
They are used for something else, there are no faction ranks in the code.
The "rank" of attached parties is an index useful for going through the attached parties, just like in that code. Attached parties are typically parties resting in (=attached to) a town or a castle, or parties assisting some other party in battle. It's not newbie stuff.

Upvote 1
Is the script that recursive mentioned, 'party_get_attached_party_with_rank, or ':attached_party_rank' related to ranks in factions? Or are they used for something else?
The "rank" of attached parties is an index useful for going through the attached parties, just like in that code. Attached parties are typically parties resting in (=attached to) a town or a castle, or parties assisting some other party in battle. It's not newbie stuff.
I remembered those stuff after MadVader mentioned it. Attaching and detaching parties are not used much beyond what MadVader said. Only other use i can say is combining parties without moving their troops between parties. Freelancer uses it for that purpose. I used them on a warband co-op project to combine server and client parties for a single party coop movement around world map. It's not that hard, mostly it doesn't offer many uses unless you're creating something different.

Upvote 1
Back
Top Bottom