Ranked mode sucks, and heres why

Users who are viewing this thread

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif
No we do one way or another.

Go vote then. You want less people leaving? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen. You want shorter queues? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen. You want a less toxic MP experience overall? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen.
We have no real influence on the development of the game, all we can do is discuss it within the community and hope the developers pay attention to it. Most players dont clan stack, theres a few that do, but now because this replaced Skirmish completely, if I wanted to play with my friends, I'm actively ruining other peoples games and ranks. So either I feel bad playing the game solo, or feel bad playing with friends.

An addition to your first point:
People make alt accounts through family sharing because they don't want to lose their rank on their main one, they also possibly make them to play against players below their rank.

The 6th point that I would add is that it shouldn't be possible for more than 2 people to play together, but as someone else pointed out, TW may simply let 6 men stack to find games against another 6 men stack and everyone will be happy.
Yep, family sharing should be removed.

There are penalties (or at least they were planned), but it seems like they are not working atm.
I think that was never actually implemented, and if they were, they were turned off at some point,and if I'm STILL wrong, theyre not strict enough, since this is the biggest problem ranked has right now.

Yes and no. Thats the point of ranked mode.
But normally theres a benefit to ranked mode, as it is right now, it simply replaced normal skirmish, and is forcing everyone to play ranked. The benefit being skill based matchmaking, putting 2 teams of equal skill up against eachother. This is not skill based in any way.

Tried to queue a few matches like 10 minutes ago, 4 min queue times and both servers crashed on entry. ?‍♂️

The fact that I got 4-5 skirmish against Varadin and his guys, I'll bite on that one, after I get rank I'll be playing people like me (no I haven't) but the fact that I get random players with random names on my team who beat A division guys like nothing, I don't know what to think about that.

I will only agree with this. I was under impression they are going to leave "public" skirmish and just add ranked on top of it, not replace it.
Why would they have two versions of the same game mode when they don't even have the population to consistently fill one? Aren't people already complaining about the queue times?

Why would they have two versions of the same game mode when they don't even have the population to consistently fill one? Aren't people already complaining about the queue times?
Ppl are complaining more about people dodging games than queue times. People dodge games because of clanstacks. Seems like a simple solution here.....

I will only agree with this. I was under impression they are going to leave "public" skirmish and just add ranked on top of it, not replace it.
Yeah I thought regular skirmish was intended by the developers as casual and they would make a competitive mode on top of that.. It won't work anyways considering the playerbase population

I thought regular skirmish was intended by the developers as casual
As far as I remember, Skirmish is what TW had always wanted to force into becoming the premier competitive game mode for Bannerlord. Have they said anything recently to suggest that they've changed their stance on that?

If it cant support a public and a ranked gamemode, it shouldnt have added the ranked version of it. The casual playerbase is much more important to the games life than the competitive base.
Same with adding Battle after Skirmish, they cant co-exist and have a healthy community.

As far as I remember, Skirmish is what TW had always wanted to force into becoming the premier competitive game mode for Bannerlord. Have they said anything recently to suggest that they've changed their stance on that?
The fact nobody plays it, everyone complains about it and TW refuses to do anything about it speaks for itself.

Even if skirmish is supposed to be that way, you still need a non-ranked skirmish to ease-in the new players and for experienced players to test out new strategies without fear of losing MMR and just generally chill.

If it cant support a public and a ranked gamemode, it shouldnt have added the ranked version of it. The casual playerbase is much more important to the games life than the competitive base.
Same with adding Battle after Skirmish, they cant co-exist and have a healthy community.
Was the casual player base ever playing skirmish in the first place? IDK if the EU situation has been different, but the 4 times I've tried queueing skirmish in NA in the past year, at what should have been NA prime time, I couldn't find a single match after waiting in queue for hours.

The couple times I've launched the game recently, the NA battle server always seemed to be pretty full, far fuller than the TDM servers ever seemed to be.

That suggests to me that the community wasn't joking when they were saying that the game mode they wanted to play was battle all along.

Skirmish and Battle don't need to co-exist. One of them should have never existed in the first place, and it wasn't battle.

If battle had been in the game since the very beginning, the game probably wouldn't be in as sorry as a state as it's been, population-wise.
The game should have shipped with skill-based matchmaking, to separate the warband veterans from actual new players in 'competitive' game modes from the very beginning, when the game would have had the player base for skill-based matchmaking to have actually been functional. Now there aren't even enough people playing to actually be separated by skill levels.

The fact that they waited until now to add it is kind of weird. Maybe they were hoping to take advantage of the recent surge of players coming for battle mode to start populating skirmish mode again.

Last edited:
Was the casual player base ever playing skirmish in the first place? IDK if the EU situation has been different, but the 4 times I've tried queueing skirmish in NA in the past year, at what should have been NA prime time, I couldn't find a single match after waiting in queue for hours.

The couple times I've launched the game recently, the NA battle server always seemed to be pretty full, far fuller than the TDM servers ever seemed to be.

That suggests to me that the community wasn't joking when they were saying that the game mode they wanted to play was battle all along.

Skirmish and Battle don't need to co-exist. One of them should have never existed in the first place, and it wasn't battle.

If battle had been in the game since the very beginning, the game probably wouldn't be in as sorry as a state as it's been, population-wise.
The game should have shipped with skill-based matchmaking, to separate the warband veterans from actual new players in 'competitive' game modes from the very beginning, when the game would have had the player base for skill-based matchmaking to have actually been functional. Now there aren't even enough people playing to actually be separated by skill levels.

The fact that they waited until now to add it is kind of weird. Maybe they were hoping to take advantage of the recent surge of players coming for battle mode to start populating skirmish mode again.
Its usually a good mix of both here, most casual players just dont stick around for very long.

Might also have to do with the drop in and drop out options of custom servers. If you start a skirmish game you're pretty much locked in it.
Battle is probably better, if it gets tweaked, definitly is if the class system vanishes. I dont mind, skirmish isnt the worst in the world, battle has issues but is also fine. As long as one is the champion, I'm not bothered.

Theres too many reasons why multiplayer numbers are low, everyone sorta shares some of the blame on this. Lack of battle didnt help thats for sure, but most competitive players from warband wouldve dissapeared because of the combat.

Theres too many reasons why multiplayer numbers are low, everyone sorta shares some of the blame on this. Lack of battle didnt help thats for sure, but most competitive players from warband wouldve dissapeared because of the combat.
True, but competitive native players weren't the only people that wanted battle. Battle was also very popular for casual native players, and it was the game mode of choice for the NW scene, whether it be for pubbing, group fighting, or organized line-battles.

Honestly, from the illustration of competency that TW has shown in developing MP, it wouldn't be surprising if they simply just did not have ranked matchmaking ready until now. Even if true, the priority should have been to make the combat at least as good as Warband and to release custom servers asap. There's no doubt that cRPG and later Mercenaries (which need custom servers to even start proper development) had a great deal of influence on how popular Warband multiplayer was and how communities formed from and around these modules.

True, but competitive native players weren't the only people that wanted battle. Battle was also very popular for casual native players, and it was the game mode of choice for the NW scene, whether it be for pubbing, group fighting, or organized line-battles.
True, what I expected them to do was limit Battle to very large scale fights and keep Skirmish as their competitive gamemode, but they cant enforce this without having an incredibly active role in the community. If they get a dedicated competitive team(organizers not playing) they can shape the scene however they like.

Back
Top Bottom