Ranked mode sucks, and heres why

Users who are viewing this thread

Greedalicious

Grandmaster Knight
Played it for a couple of hours, the issues are obvious, heres some of them.

1. It makes people care way too much and theres no actual benefit to it.
The matchmaking has no actual impact on the game, it doesnt seem to team people based on their rankings, atleast not yet, and theres no way for people to see what rank their teammates are. No transparancy in team assignment, like say, at the start of the game, show the players, and add up the MMR of each and maybe divide it by 6, so we can actually see how balanced the teams are.

People are dodging matches that they know they wont win, or atleast win easily, which means the lobby fails, and we're booted out, sometimes having to wait the whole warmup timer unless we pay attention to the scoreboard. Its just wasting time.

I consider myself pretty patient with new players, but even I start behaving more tryhardy when its ranked mode, I dont want to lose, and seing non competitive players on my team is basically a guaranteed loss at the moment. Thats fine, I'll deal, but its making the community more toxic, and I feel really bad for anyone joining Skirmish now thinking they'll be put in fair teams. Theyre not, nothing about this system is fair.
For the first time I've accepted vote kick polls on afk teammates, even if theyre just afk for a few seconds at the start. Thats already enough to throw a round with every cavalry player tapped into the Speedforce.

2. Less games, more queues
Because of all the abandoners, we're kicked out and left to queue again. Less games, less fun. I think I got to play about 50% of my matches because someone would just leave in the warmups. I dont like wasting time (ironically thats what I'm doing by posting this but hey)

3. Forcing people to play ranked is not a good idea.
Even if the system was perfect, and you'd only play people at your skill level, you're forcing people to play in a way where if you dont do your best, you're trolling. You cant experiment, you certainly cant learn, and if you do, you'll be yelled at or votekicked by your teammates, that play ranked the way god intended, to win.

I also dont understand the idea of removing deaths from the stats, but now showcasing your rank on the main menu. I'd imagine people being more worried about displaying their low rank than deaths...

4. Without a side swap, the match result is invalid.

You need to play both factions and both sides if you want an accurate result, otherwise you can get screwed by faction imbalances. This also makes people more likely to dodge a match if the faction isnt in their favor.

5.No punishment for leaving
Is there any? Sure as hell doesnt seem like there is, since it happens constantly.

This is my matches so far today
Match 1: Player dodged
Match 2: 1 player dodged right after the match started, more players left, win 3-0. Spent most of the match running in circles.
5 minute queue time
Match 3: Dodged (due to ping issues so I kinda get that)
Match 4: Decent fight, won 3-1.(not super close)
Match 5: Lost 3-0. Not even close to a fight. Our team had atleast 2 unranked, dont think theirs had any.

So out of 5 matches, 1 match had the other team score a single round.

Didnt even touch on family sharing, group queues, and class limits, too much to go through and I dont want to sit here all day writing up a proper document for something that everyone is aware of by now.

yesterday i have spent 1h30 to seek a skirmish.
Result : i've made 7 draws and no skirmish because each time someone left....

Would've prefered to just have a hidden ELO ranking for team balance rather than something that people just want to grind up - sure, that keeps them playing, but it also raises toxicity levels as Greed outlined.

I don't think the "match doesn't happen when player leaves" is really fixable*, unless you'd wanna shuffle teams on match start, but that would cause issues with group queues so probably not.
* The only fix here are leaver penalties which apparently just don't exist or at least aren't communicated anywhere.

I don't think I know anyone that wanted a ranked mode. People want custom servers, have wanted them for close to three years now. Ranked is just another misplaced development priority. You can make it as good as you want, it's not what people want from the game.

Go vote then. You want less people leaving? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen. You want shorter queues? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen. You want a less toxic MP experience overall? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen.

Go vote then. You want less people leaving? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen. You want shorter queues? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen. You want a less toxic MP experience overall? Ban clanstacking from ranked and it will happen.
It's not even the problem of clanstacking. I have been looking for a skirmsih game for more than 1h30 tag solo against other solo player. Sometimrs i wait for more than 10min just to tag a game. But whenever i tag, you need only 1 leaver and then there is no match at all, before we couldn't played a lot because of the lack of player but now we can't play at all.

Why did TW even release ranked mode? Who asked for it? There aren't enough players for it to be balanced to begin with. I got into a game after queueing for 20 minutes. Half of the team left after 1st round.

You don't get punished for leaving the game and no one else can replace the players that left the game. That's just stupid. TW should punish those that leave and allow others to replace their place. They should also separate ranked and normal queue.

An addition to your first point:
People make alt accounts through family sharing because they don't want to lose their rank on their main one, they also possibly make them to play against players below their rank.

The 6th point that I would add is that it shouldn't be possible for more than 2 people to play together, but as someone else pointed out, TW may simply let 6 men stack to find games against another 6 men stack and everyone will be happy.

Be patient. You cant expect a ranked matchmaking to work instantly. By now the vast majority of casual players is still unranked.

Wannabes dodge matches bc they are butthurt about their ranking. That won't last. In the long run, they can either quit the game or accept that they are mediocre. Give it a week.

And you can still experiment or troll. It's public. Ppl who care about public ranking in a non-monetised game have lost control over their lifes. Think of ranking as a tool for better matchmaking in the future. Then again I agree it might be better to hide it to other players to reduce the level of toxicity.

The point "not enough players for matchmaking" is invalid. Taleworlds can't just summon players. Only chance to get new players into their matchmaking is by avoiding instant butchering. So ranked matchmaking is a basic requirement if you they want to stick to queuing. Ofc we all wished for more and earlier private servers, but let's not forget that tw finally gave in on that point. Bannerlord is finally developing in the right direction.

Is anyone getting in any skirmish games? I've tried queuing multiple times and never get in a game.

The point "not enough players for matchmaking" is invalid. Taleworlds can't just summon players. Only chance to get new players into their matchmaking is by avoiding instant butchering. So ranked matchmaking is a basic requirement if you they want to stick to queuing.
My man there isn't ENOUGH people to play ranked matchmaking. If someone rage-quits the game, no one is joining back in to replace it due to their stupid system, the game is trying too much to do a system like CS:GO while it obviously doesn't have the players for it. The new system is completely wrong and the fact you think they will change is baffling.

Is there any? Sure as hell doesnt seem like there is, since it happens constantly.
* The only fix here are leaver penalties which apparently just don't exist or at least aren't communicated anywhere.

Multiplayer​

Game Modes
  • Added a Ranking System:
  • The number of points you gain or lose with each match depends on the average ratings of your team and the enemy team. If your team has a lower average rating than that of the opponent and you win, you gain more points compared to a game where the average ratings between the teams are more balanced. And if you lose against a higher average rating team, you lose fewer points.
  • Players are now able to reconnect to a game after a disconnect. Players that weren't part of the match from the start can't join and replace a disconnected player mid-match.
  • If you leave a ranked game, you can't queue for matchmaking games for a duration of time that increases every time you leave. You will also lose ranking points even if your team ends up winning.
  • If you leave the game while in the warm-up phase, the game gets cancelled and everyone is returned to the main menu. As a leaver, you carry the penalties already described above.
There are penalties (or at least they were planned), but it seems like they are not working atm.

Be patient. You cant expect a ranked matchmaking to work instantly. By now the vast majority of casual players is still unranked.
Yeah but with a handful of braincell u can make it at least as much enjoyable as it used to be.
The thing is: To design it the way it is right now you actually have to think "How can I make this annoying as possible for as much players as possible?"
These are basic game design decisions and issues which should be resolved in early conception. Nothing that should surprise you after realsing such a feature.

Thats said:

1. It makes people care way too much and theres no actual benefit to it.
Yes and no. Thats the point of ranked mode.

2. Less games, more queues

3. Forcing people to play ranked is not a good idea.
I think Skirmish is not a casual gamemode. They should leave it that way, clearify that it is ranked / rename "Matchmaking" to "Ranked matchmaking" or something like that and also just host 3 Skirmish custom servers.

4. Without a side swap, the match result is invalid.
Thats basically right, but right now this is the best thing you can do. Otherwise the "average" time would be 40min per match. It's really likely that someone will quit every game. Punishment or not.

Thats the major problem right now.
Otherwise it could be somehow enjoyable at least. But obviously they would need to fix their X new crashes they added with the recent patch.

I think you miss the update
  • The number of points you gain or lose with each match depends on the average ratings of your team and the enemy team. If your team has a lower average rating than that of the opponent and you win, you gain more points compared to a game where the average ratings between the teams are more balanced. And if you lose against a higher average rating team, you lose fewer points.
So basically doesn't matter if you are ranked or not you still play against the same player.
Wannabes dodge matches bc they are butthurt about their ranking. That won't last. In the long run, they can either quit the game or accept that they are mediocre. Give it a week.
Well from now on, you can't play cause people are leaving. When a game is starting, you just play against a strong stack of player to get destroyed. With the point just above, you will play with the same player no matter your rank. So what's the point to start a skirmish to wait 20min to either get back to a draw or destroyed ?

The point "not enough players for matchmaking" is invalid. Taleworlds can't just summon players.
It is, before you could at least play a game, it could 3v3, 3v5... and people could join and leave, but the whole point was, you were playing. Right now you can't since there is either not enough player or someone is leaving so no more game at all.
Only chance to get new players into their matchmaking is by avoiding instant butchering. So ranked matchmaking is a basic requirement if you they want to stick to queuing.
Still the same point as the first doesn't matter if you are ranked or not you still play against the same player. So you will never get new player in the matchmaking because they will be disgust by the fact they can't even hit a single guy.

I only play Captain... Had 5-minute warm-ups 3 times in a row today... with a draw. With the general low player count, it's impossible to play... In a few days, there will be no players at all. too bad...

HTF do we play non ranked

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

So basically doesn't matter if you are ranked or not you still play against the same player.
it may not yet be implemented, but as far as i remember that was the goal.

Maybe i'm just lucky, but i didnt have problems finding a match. 2/3 are draws, but i still enjoy the casual play in warmup (like the casual player i am). And as i mentioned before, im sure this is nothing but a phase. Sooner or later toxbois will realize that they have to gid gud if they want good ranks.

it may not yet be implemented, but as far as i remember that was the goal.

Maybe i'm just lucky, but i didnt have problems finding a match. 2/3 are draws, but i still enjoy the casual play in warmup (like the casual player i am). And as i mentioned before, im sure this is nothing but a phase. Sooner or later toxbois will realize that they have to gid gud if they want good ranks.
maybe people are'nt toxic just cause they crit this broken system, 11 years into devolpment. Making matches require full players for cap was bloody pointless. Feck the stupid ranking system rather just be able to play a match

Back
Top Bottom