rank the factions from best to worst

Users who are viewing this thread

devilkingx2

Regular
not including mod factions(or else dark knights would be #1, followed by elves and demons) or player faction(because that one is usually the best but can be the worst in the hands of a noob)

you can(and probably should) explain your reasoning

I'll go first:

1. khergits - unless you're sieging or on very specific(and uncommon) terrain, cavalry > things that are not cavalry

2. nords - if you are sieging, huscarls are the hired blades of sieging

3. rhodoks - great for siege defense with their crossbows of doom, and they have the real life anti-cavalry weapons: spears(too bad they aren't too useful at anti-cavalry in game... still better than normal infantry though)

4. swadians - I thought they were useless and generic, then I lurked this forum, and found out that the knights are useful, this is one of the 3 factions that only seem to exist so you can have somewhere to make your kingdom without losing out on anything or having too much trouble.

5. sarranids - like the swadians, except with far better geography, and less useful only useful troop

6. vaegirs - I can't even think of what they have unique, I heard something about archers, but rhodoks and khergits already have faaaar superior ranged troops, so I don't see the point. for a while I wondered why they were in this game, as with the swadians, I settled on the fact that talewords realized they needed us to have a place to start your conquest of calradia, other leading theories are they ran out of ideas, there are only so many specialties/weapons/styles/useful variations, or they didn't put too much effort into this one, and it's "quality" reflects that

alright, you guys go

rhodoks crossbowmen are also very good in melee. Ignore infantry unless you have some mod.

Vaegirs run out of idea? They were present in the first version of the game! They were just Swadians against Vaegirs while Nords were just sea raiders and Khergit were black khergit bandits, no trace of Rhodoks and of course Sarranids. Problem is that khergit horse archer are quite good (less damage but better armor), so they have the best "cheap archer"? No, Nords have it. Also infantry without shield mean not very good on siege.

Not sure if serious. Ranking Vaegirs as worst? That's hilarious. Even in SP, that's hilarious.

(MP) The Vaegirs do every single thing better than the Sarranids except for cav maneuverability, which is more than just a simple statistic. It's an acquired skill that is facilitated by the horse, so Vaegir cav can still beat Sarranid cav in maneuverability in the case of a skill gap. Vaegir cav seems to have better power strike as well.

(SP) Vaegir troops are more competent at all levels than their Sarranid counterparts, until you reach the highest tiers of cavalry troops. Vaegir cav is fine in the field, but Sarranid mamlukes don't whip out two-handers against ranged troops so they have better survivability.

Khergits get ripped to pieces by massed archers in SP with some supporting infantry, by the way. Swadian infantry is rather powerful and well-armored, and they have well-armored crossbowmen to boot. Rhodok infantry gets screwed at the Veteran Spearman tier, because they only use two-handed polearms. Nords get the shaft for ranged troops, but it's better than before where they didn't have any archers at all. Both Rhodoks and Nords lack cavalry, and that dictates how you employ them on the open field.

Time to stop bull****ting, though. I'll just list 'em.

1) Swadians
2) Vaegirs
3) Nords/Rhodoks
4) Sarranids/Khergits

Orion said:
Not sure if serious. Ranking Vaegirs as worst? That's hilarious. Even in SP, that's hilarious.

(MP) The Vaegirs do every single thing better than the Sarranids except for cav maneuverability, which is more than just a simple statistic. It's an acquired skill that is facilitated by the horse, so Vaegir cav can still beat Sarranid cav in maneuverability in the case of a skill gap. Vaegir cav seems to have better power strike as well.

(SP) Vaegir troops are more competent at all levels than their Sarranid counterparts, until you reach the highest tiers of cavalry troops. Vaegir cav is fine in the field, but Sarranid mamlukes don't whip out two-handers against ranged troops so they have better survivability.

Khergits get ripped to pieces by massed archers in SP with some supporting infantry, by the way. Swadian infantry is rather powerful and well-armored, and they have well-armored crossbowmen to boot. Rhodok infantry gets screwed at the Veteran Spearman tier, because they only use two-handed polearms. Nords get the shaft for ranged troops, but it's better than before where they didn't have any archers at all. Both Rhodoks and Nords lack cavalry, and that dictates how you employ them on the open field.

1) Swadians
2) Vaegirs
3) Nords/Rhodoks
4) Sarranids/Khergits

+1

You can't say what faction is BEST, because they are all good and bad in some situations. But here's my opinions:

Khergits (easy to get loads of cav, which is totally op in open plains against AI)
Swadia (the most tankiest cavs and crossbows for siege defense)
Vaegirs (archers)
Sarranids (good cav)
Nords (good inf for siege defense/assault. If you can fight in woods/mountains, you roflstomp any enemy)
Rhodoks (crossbows for siege defense)

Vaegirs (archers and mediocre cav)
Nords (jav cav, jav inf, armored archers)
Sarranids (fast and agile horses, fast archers, tank inf with long spears)
Swadia (good cav, awlpike infantry)
Rhodoks (strong shields, as long as you don't see any siege crossbows on enemy side), no heavy armor unless going for elite tier

Nords (jav cav, jav inf, armored archers)
Swadia (good cav, awlpike infantry, crossbows)
Vaegirs (archers and mediocre cav)
Rhodoks (strong shields, cleavers, crossbows, pikes, no heavy armor unless going for elite tier)
Sarranids (fast and agile horses, fast archers, tank inf with long spears)

Nords (jav cav, dismounted cav is the best dismounted cav in the game, javs, armored archers, javs, axes, javs, best short sword in game, best infantry stats in game and javs)
Sarranids (2nd best infantry in game (if not the best), fast and agile horses or very heavy tank cav)
Rhodoks (strong shields, cleavers, crossbows, pikes, no heavy armor unless going for elite tier)
Vaegirs (archers and mediocre cav, scimitars, javelins, bardiches)
Swadia (good cav, awlpike infantry, crossbows)

Just remember, all the factions are in pretty good balance, the advantages aren't that big.

sotamursu123 said:
You can't say what faction is BEST, because they are all good and bad in some situations. [...] Just remember, all the factions are in pretty good balance, the advantages aren't that big.

Totally agree with that "which is best" is map-dependent in MP.

sotamursu123 said:
Khergits (easy to get loads of cav, which is totally op in open plains against AI)
Swadia (the most tankiest cavs and crossbows for siege defense)
Vaegirs (archers)
Sarranids (good cav)
Nords (good inf for siege defense/assault. If you can fight in woods/mountains, you roflstomp any enemy)
Rhodoks (crossbows for siege defense)

In SP, you end up appreciating units that can effectively take castles (i.e. Huscarls and Sharpshooters) because you'll win any field battles against the AI under 1:1 numerical conditions with a leveled up army, regardless of factions involved. I would really rank Nords/Rhodoks as easiest to play with in SP once you've passed the opening stage, therefore.

Not like this topic hasn't been discussed 10000 times. :p

Orion said:

you're right, it was stupid to dare rank them lower than the sarranids, but they certainly aren't better than the nords, khergits or rhodoks

Khergits get ripped to pieces by massed archers in SP with some supporting infantry,

never seen infantry that wasn't sea raiders or hired blades do anything but die to cavalry, massing any good archers will be an effective force for the 15 seconds before you just send your cavalry to destroy them, killing khergit HAs however isn't so simple

by the way. Swadian infantry is rather powerful and well-armored,

so are huscarls, hired blades, sea raiders, etc.

and they have well-armored crossbowmen to boot.

I thought only rhodoks had crossbowmen?

Rhodok infantry gets screwed at the Veteran Spearman tier, because they only use two-handed polearms. Nords get the shaft for ranged troops, but it's better than before where they didn't have any archers at all. Both Rhodoks and Nords lack cavalry, and that dictates how you employ them on the open field.

you've got to use them where they're useful, generalist factions are useless in this game because of that whole just going to another faction's kingdom and recruiting their troops thing,  nords have the best infantry that's why you use them in sieges, rhodoks have crossbows that's why you use them when defending sieges, and khergits are a cheap cavalry army, since cavalry is so superior to everything else in normal battles, that makes them best for field battles, a jack of all trades faction isn't so useful when you can readily change troop composition

1) Swadians
2) Vaegirs
3) Nords/Rhodoks
4) Sarranids/Khergits

...interesting choices

Have you ever seen kergit horse archers against mamelukes or swadian Knights?
It's hilarious, they just get tickled when arrows hit them, archers just run around shooting useless arrows and Knights chasing them :grin:

Back
Top Bottom