Range of crossbows

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkAnd

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Anyone can tell me what was the max range of crossbows?
I heard that they have smaller range than bows, but are more powerful than them, I have a small theory whitout any sources and proves that a crossbow in fact have bigger range than a bow.
However, they needed to be shoot at very high angles to fall whit the weight of the bolt and kill, and since the bolt is lighter than an arrow, it would be nearly useless while the arrow is heavier would be more effective.
NOTE: This is just a ****ing theory whitout any proves.

The average 1500 year crossbow shot bolts that actually travelled beyond range of most longbows and were most efficient because they were allot easier to use (the ones with the cranks for the pullback that is) because it took very strong archers to pull back a longbow.I don't know the exact distance but crossbows turned out to be more superior.But bows beat them in speed that i know. :mrgreen:

Depends on the crossbow and how you compare them. A 500 lb draw crossbow will have an effective range of about 400 yards. In comparison, a 100 - 150 lb Longbow has a maximum effective range of 300 yards. Comparing like against like a longbow will generally outrange a 100 - 150 lb crossbow by quite a distance.

You also can't just shoot the crossbow at a high angle as you would a bow. The crossbow bolt isn't designed for flight, it's designed to transfer as much power to the target as possible. A bow on the other hand is designed for flight, and would usually be fired in an arc rather than a flat trajectory. Try to fire a crossbow in an arc and the bolt won't do much more than bruise anyone it lands on.

Archonsod said:
You also can't just shoot the crossbow at a high angle as you would a bow. The crossbow bolt isn't designed for flight, it's designed to transfer as much power to the target as possible. A bow on the other hand is designed for flight, and would usually be fired in an arc rather than a flat trajectory. Try to fire a crossbow in an arc and the bolt won't do much more than bruise anyone it lands on.

That is correct.

as i know heavy crossbow bolts are heavier than arrows. As Archonsod said crossbows and bolts are designed for maximum energy transfer and penetration, range was a secondary issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom