Random Pausing Help Meh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday out of nowhere my laptop started pausing for 5 or so seconds every 30 seconds to a minute. I've restarted it and that didn't help so I went online looking for a solution, one person recommended turning off the laptop, taking the hard drive and ram out for a few minutes, then turning it back on. I tried it and it is slightly better now with it only pausing during gaming now but that's when I actually care about it pausing. I have no idea what to do and need you're ever so insightful advice.

krik said:
Yesterday out of nowhere my laptop started pausing for 5 or so seconds every 30 seconds to a minute. I've restarted it and that didn't help so I went online looking for a solution, one person recommended turning off the laptop, taking the hard drive and ram out for a few minutes, then turning it back on. I tried it and it is slightly better now with it only pausing during gaming now but that's when I actually care about it pausing. I have no idea what to do and need you're ever so insightful advice.

I have the same freezes on my desktop ibm compatible.

It's the the system hard drive slowly dying in my case thanks to Windows and its intelligent disk usage (it's always reading something)

ancalimon said:
It's the the system hard drive slowly dying in my case thanks to Windows and its intelligent disk usage (it's always reading something)

If the hard drive is the problem with the OP (seems like it may be) then you can just download any program that will basically clean it and remove junk off of it. I got some program called 360amigo that came for free with some AV I got for free for buying some computer part :grin:

Actually works pretty good and I still have it installed since it tells me how long it took to boot into windows and even lets you change the order in which things load (plus you can delay things on start so you boot even quicker).

So just get something to wipe all the **** from my HDD? I'm also worried that it's from an incident a week or so ago where my dog kicked the laptop onto the couch and my hard drive came loose, Toshiba laptops are supposed to be good about stopping corruption to data on HDD's but maybe it corrupted a registry file or something. I kind of doubt it was my actual hard drive breaking as the problem didn't show up for a few days after that incident.

Hard drives aren't to great against impact so hopefully that didn't do anything extreme to it.

Bad sectors might have appeared on your hard drive.

Download a utility that finds and fixes or marks bad sectors from your hdd vendors site (if that vendor has such a utility)

I used the Dos version of a utility burned to disk which I downloaded from Seagate in order to fix one of my hdds with bad sectors and it work wonders (in 6 hours)

Or you can get Hdd Regenerator. It's the best utility to fix your bad sectors.

But still...  It seems like there could be a problem with your hdds connection to your computer. Or the head of the hdd might have been damaged in which case you are going to need a new hdd or better yet SDD. In any case backup your important data to another medium.

Ran a registry cleaner, something like 400 errors I cleaned. I'm gonna go try and run a game that was ****ing up now, hopefully that fixed it.

Archonsod said:
ancalimon said:
Download a utility that finds and fixes or marks bad sectors from your hdd vendors site (if that vendor has such a utility)
What, like Windows' disk check? ...

It never worked for me. It can't really properly fix bad blocks in my case.  On the other hand HDD Regenerator really fixes bad blocks if they are not "that bad".

Registry cleaner helped a ****ton, it's still there but only very slightly and only on games with higher requirements. That gives me hope that the hard drive isn't broken at the least.

krik said:
Registry cleaner helped a ****ton, it's still there but only very slightly and only on games with higher requirements. That gives me hope that the hard drive isn't broken at the least.

Check the connection of your hardware on the mainboard. Maybe the cable of the hdd is loose for example.

Unplug and check the connectors. Then put it back in firmly (but not too hard).

Also, run a chkdsk through command prompt running off of a flash drive or something.

Start > type "cmd" > press enter > type "[insert flash drive letter]:" > type "chkdsk C: /f" > press enter

Last time I had HDD problems it fixed them temporarily.

Has it been confirmed that it IS the HDD that is the issue or has everyone excluded all other options already?

What OS are you even using? Age of the computer? How much free space on the drive? Fired up task manager in case there's  some software running which hogs the cpu on regular intervals?

J said:
Has it been confirmed that it IS the HDD that is the issue or has everyone excluded all other options already?

What OS are you even using? Age of the computer? How much free space on the drive? Fired up task manager in case there's  some software running which hogs the cpu on regular intervals?

No, it's not necessarily confirmed. But really, if the entire computer locks up suddenly it couldn't be his CPU unless he's on a single-core without multithreading support. The next obvious culprit would be his GPU, but I doubt he'd be having normal FPS on a GPU that isn't capable of putting pixels on the screen. The next step would be RAM, but I have a hard time believing a RAM stick that takes longer than 500ms to access a bit of data would be functioning at all.

His hard drive seems like the most likely case. It's already the slowest component of any comupter, combined with the fact that a system would lock up when waiting for the hard drive to return data to the system (because it's malfunctioning). It probably is having massive seek times compared to normal, or has to process through corrupted data as someone stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom