Random Media v.4 (Comedy Optional, Interesting Optional)

How do you feel about Vraelomon?

• Long live The King.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I didn't vote for him.

Votes: 90 67.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

"Given that the crack is so massive I would assume they would have to tear down the whole thing to make it safe. I mean if anyone in America is willing to rig the whole thing and reinforce it with steel I-beams then I guess it could be saved, but it would delete all your money in a flash. "

Yeah, it would be hard to find construction people who'd be willing just to enter that building, let alone renovate it. It would be way cheaper to dozer it down and build the same building from scratch.

BLOOD FOR THE TORNADO GOD
:lol:

Really awesome story, Arv. I grew up in a small town that used to be a fortress against natives, right at the country's borders. The walls were torn down when they eventually built train tracks as the natives were driven off, but some years ago they discovered that an old abandoned house downtown was actually one of the barracks from back then, reconverted into a house. It still looks relatively sturdy 200 years later.

Kl0YA.jpg
2cuJo.jpg
1_I-D.jpg

"Given that the crack is so massive I would assume they would have to tear down the whole thing to make it safe. I mean if anyone in America is willing to rig the whole thing and reinforce it with steel I-beams then I guess it could be saved, but it would delete all your money in a flash. "

Yeah, it would be hard to find construction people who'd be willing just to enter that building, let alone renovate it. It would be way cheaper to dozer it down and build the same building from scratch.
Like I said, I don't know much about houses, but my first thought when I saw that crack was that the foundation under the section of the house on the right might've collapsed. My understanding is when that happens, you're in deep trouble. We've got an old barn on our property that's in tough shape. My dad's always wished he could restore it, but he says it's no longer worthwhile because the foundation is crumbling, and you'd have to jack up the whole barn and put a new foundation underneath it. It might end up getting demolished at some point in the next couple of years.

hCQzlLyrQTipql7vnZCRMPan2nEjmpw8Aahyk82RCDWOO8zuJQsUcuMzZNF4lGKA7FCPurFWbiEnxI9_P6CoPQYiSFanwKduW-tY9yoyi4wRyueBryOwMPClp96dGxk1dIHN6SpQ-Mk3IhKi3d8LrrPkQpcVEcrnEu_2rPT2YkBC_WV2T2oVn1F9GzRgpdZs7WFbJxRvm8LUpq6cSx--CfYBtvDFnqpw8jJlek8wTq76cudnbQpPAsWewF7GIOY8X38svyQMtYQ_om12Antx1BdH1yb3sml3NLCxHCknv_X-XTevUx0-KtvLvpZdrtYu-GZNnt9Ji3Vu3oclO4zdKg0jD4iiK9sKcknuPG4L-Ch8lWL1LI4Vjc7FybivU0PTZTOfa1ZJ0oHLAkrhwVE-ae-AP2tT5a7qJRdJbMcj1grHvdufZ1Q0RjuyfTj-_1LuKWt6OrsCHKOJ6r1_ZrsFuxDkRYJWPqz1HhGoKLmX6ILZWkYV1m2m-np0fFxSSp0gDspIvCkk3xYeK7x7cN6VKj0S8UBxDAt2fjS3d1dgx7ei1G_lDXwnl9gL9FRLfMVGcWfTbatI-nxtNlvcpDIS6RkdaLGiX6n-2qwpwGqCRCJJ0uVOH1dsc4e2r9wAgGBQatQLXwSbkx5bZAc-tA3bZ1ZUxRz7wfZTbkixN7igT1JUvc0KcI_Dlpviyw4ptfA1yAy2fBhClhWZocmYdh3Y88kUNnjF9QGQUGdo_Dol26n64b-uUNG3bnc=w1311-h983-no

Note the hand-hewn beams and the rafters that still have bark on them. My god, the work the went into building one of these back then...

Why not just build a new barn ten metres away, using what material you can recycle from the old one?
We'd like to put up some new buildings, but I'm guessing they'll use more modern designs and new materials. We'll probably save some pieces from the old barn, though (like that big beam in the foreground), in case we ever want to use them for something.

Funnily enough, (and speaking of random media), that barn, and the others that used to be with it, were apparently the subjects of a painting once by a local artist. I never knew about it until a neighbor lent us a newspaper clipping from 1976, with a tiny little black and white picture of the painting. I'd love to see the painting in person. Hell, if it's any good, I'd love to have a print of it on my own wall, or in the office at the farm. Lord knows where that painting is now, though. I haven't even found much about the guy on the internet.

edit: I did find this bit just now:
John Thomason was born on 14 December 1903...

I was contacted by a gentleman from Rochester, New York who also has several of his paintings and Monroe Community College in Rochester, New York also has a large collection of his work.

Thomason’s is sometimes confused with John William Thomason Jr., a career Marine Corps officer who was also a writer, artist, and illustrator. To further confuse identification, both men studied at the Art Students League in New York City.
Apparently there's also a John R. Thomasson, also an artist, who is alive today. Unbelievable.

Channel recommendation. Some autistic(?) Japanese guy with extreme attention to detail makes knives out of weird materials showcasing a lot of chemistry and craftsmanship. Videos are meticulously clean and he also inserts some absurd jokes in some.

Back
Top Bottom