Here is a solution I have in mind to solve the Rambo problem.
It's based on the morale system of the game "War of Rights" but adapted to Bannerlord Captain mode.
Here is what you need to know about how the system works if you're not familiar with it: https://steamcommunity.com/app/424030/discussions/0/1744479064004856409/
So in War of Rights
which is a game with no bots, the main game mode is skirmish mode (it's a battle mode with 150 players). It's based on a morale system. If the morale of one team goes down to 0, the team loses the game.
What's making morale loses in a team is when players die:
- Out of line state : If a player dies alone out in the open, then the team takes 100 % of morale loses of one death.
- Skirmishing state: If a player dies in formation with his team mates nearby, but they are not forming a line, the morale lose is 60 % of one death.
- In formation state: If a player dies in a line formation, the morale lose is 20 % of one death.
This system works very well and makes people work together.
It could be adapted to the Bannerlord
captain mode. It wouldn't affect the morale of the team, but time of respawn of the captain player.
Right now, a captain that dies 1 km away from his regiment has the same time of respawn as if he dies shoulder to shoulder with his troops.
The system I'm explaining here would change this this way:
(time values are examples and I'm exaggerating those to help the explanation)
- Not commanding state: If a player dies alone far away from his regiment, then he would have to wait 2 minutes to be able to respawn.
- Disorganized state: If a player dies near his troops, but he's not in formation (like 2 to 10 meters) then he would have to wait 30 seconds to be able to respawn.
- Commanding state: If a player dies in formations with his troops (shoulder to shoulder or 1 to 2 meters away form the formation) then he could respawn instantly.
What would be the benefits of this system ?Adding time of respawn for the players who are ramboing will make them unable to command their troops for a long period of time. It will give a huge advantage to the opposing team and they will have plenty of time to take flags or/and to attack the regiment that is not controlled.
With this system players will still be able to scout and to leave their regiment behind. They can take a look at where the enemies are, but if they get too close to them, they have a chance of being taken down. If so, the opposing team knows that they have the advantage for a certain period of time.
On top of this, I have a suggestion: when the player is in "Not commanding state" (far away from his troops) then he shouldn't be able to command them. (It would be RP too as if the player is far away it seams normal that the troops can't hear him)
Adding this system with the futur improvements of AI that will be added, Captain Mode will be a plaisent game mode that will focus on the commandment of the troops and the individual combat skills will not play a such decisive part as now.