Rambo-Cav in captain mode

Is Rambo-cav gameplay a problem for captain mode ?

• No i quite like it. It reward good skills, and i'm ready to wait the end of the fight

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No this is a problem, cavalery going one by one is totally stupid, and it takes forever

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • I don't care with your silly questions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I know that if you were mechanically skilled at the game you wouldn't be posting in two threads trying to change the meta of captains mode just because you got dunked on by skirmish teams. Sad!
I wasn't even part of those games!!! ? ?

I'm not in the captains league (or any league). I've got a child on the way - you think I have time to take part in that anymore?

Bloody hell... I don't even remember ever seeing these people in captains mode or skirmish (or any other mode). They probably play US. Nothing to do with me - just giving my feedback on how the game mode can be improved.

Oh man...

Last edited:
Rambo players were a huge issue in Napoleonic Wars' captain mode as well. Those bloody morons ruined countless games for me as well as for many others. That said, the real issue is those absolute madlads who keep parking their whole cavalry unit near the far side of the map and just use them as extra lives.

Rambo players were a huge issue in Napoleonic Wars' captain mode as well. Those bloody morons ruined countless games for me as well as for many others. That said, the real issue is those absolute madlads who keep parking their whole cavalry unit near the far side of the map and just use them as extra lives.
Agreed. The issue isn't what is good or bad. I couldn't care who won some bloody league on an imbalanced beta of a game. It is what is captains mode and what isn't.

Parking your units and using them as lives is 100% not the intention of the game mode; and that alone should prove why it needs to change.

What i would do, i would increase Spear type weapons damage against a horse.
I fought rambos and the most irritating was hitting his horse like 5 times and he could still run away.

It's all but fixing consequences... The core problem - skill gap - needs to be adjusted on purpose. Design choice must be made.

You can not have a balanced game mode when you have tryhards facerolling everyone for ****s and giggles.

Personal skill shall be negated/balanced out in any massive multiplayer mode. There shall be instruments for countering a rambo.

There are 10% players who are good enough to pull out ramboing, so, they think it's a good and "fun" thing.

The rest 90% are the goddamn playersbase that will freaking quit because of BS like this.
Players like you are who gave us the wonders of bannerlord mp. You claim to be 90 percent of the player base, they implement your nerfs so the game can be ruined so you can get a decent k/d number on screen, then you leave forever and the 10 percent are still here.
Exactly. And not just in captain but all game modes
At one point Spears were "op" so they were nerfed badly. If you make Spears good, people who are better at video games are still gonna kill you.

At one point Spears were "op" so they were nerfed badly. If you make Spears good, people who are better at video games are still gonna kill you.
"...increase Spear type weapons damage against a horse".

Rambo without a horse turns into a sheep. They need a horse to tank damage for them.

Last edited:
What i would do, i would increase Spear type weapons damage against a horse.
I fought rambos and the most irritating was hitting his horse like 5 times and he could still run away.
the point is to encourage cav players to use their AI units, not to nerf cav in general, also you have to consider skirmish and cav vs archer engagements

"...increase Spear type weapons damage against a horse".

Rambo without a horse turns into a sheep. They need a horse to tank damage for them.
Horses don't tank at all. Unarmored horse is a two hit kill. They've been nerfed to death, the only thing now is to make it so that infantry can run instead of walk so that cav can get buffed and be fun again

I know that if you were mechanically skilled at the game you wouldn't be posting in two threads trying to change the meta of captains mode just because you got dunked on by skirmish teams. Sad!
The problem with this is that Ramboing is not the intended way the game mode is meant to be played. You really have to step back for a second and think about it. I'm the first to admit Skirmish style players have found a great way to really fk with the captain mode. Captain players are mostly interested in playing the mode as it was intended, the grievances with Ramboing is not about skill (all though hats off to very skilled 1v1 skirmish players) the grievances is that the mode has been warped by players exploiting weak ai so it is no longer able to be played as it was intended.

Surely you can to at least some degree understand what is being said here? And if you stand back and look at the big picture you can see that the mode is a shell of what it is supposed to be. Maybe you have never played Total War or even played Bannerlord in single player before, but captains is really quite closely aligned with that style of gameplay rather than the Skirmish Fps style.

Once again kudos to the 1v1 ability of many rambos, but it would be great if they could at least try and play the game mode as was intended, or if they are super into 1v1 fights, then Skirmish or tdm is always waiting

Cheers

Once again kudos to the 1v1 ability of many rambos, but it would be great if they could at least try and play the game mode as was intended, or if they are super into 1v1 fights, then Skirmish or tdm is always waiting
Winning is fully intended, you can't ask that everyone who plays the game use suboptimal tactics just to fit some kind of RP meta. The issue is 100% with the game mode and the balancing, especially the absolute uselessness of the AI. If your army of ~100 troops has no way to counter 6 horsey bois, the game is broken.

It's not even "amazing 1v1 skill" really, it's just that all the AI die like kittens, so the gamemode essentially boils down to Skirmish where you start by attacking your opponent's respawns directly. Until AI can become competent at not dying immediately, it will always be irresponsible to let your AI fight at all! Unless of course you are even worse than they are.

Last edited:
I thought SP was all about exploiting dumb AI anyway. It is that way in Warband, probably in Bannerlord SP (have not played it), warhammer SP (look at LegendOfTotalWar) and warhammer MP has it to some extent. Like certain ranged units having a hard time shooting and switching to melee weapons, so you just charge them, they switch to melee weapon, you fall back (Bone Giant). Or attacking a unit with a unit for it to drop attack order and then fall back. Stretching the micro of the other player.

For example. In Warband you could make an inf formation break up if you shoot and killed maybe 3 or 4 units. They would then charge you hill, stacked with archers. Or exploit the fact the AI loves to target you. So you would just draw away half their cav force.

the point is to encourage cav players to use their AI units, not to nerf cav in general, also you have to consider skirmish and cav vs archer engagements
Exactly. Not everything in game is stats and reach. If the bots are not made smarter some change in the design must be made or both.

Ranked devisions/leagues will change it drastically because in my case I can wreck almost a whole squad with one life lead by unexpirienced player. On the other side if I'm with spear unit the only chance to be obliterated is 3-4 clan premades to target me specifically because the bots are dump as **** and they can easily exploit their facing directions and weapon switch.

But if 1-2 expirienced cav players meet a team with 3 newcommers is bad very bad. Think the ranked will change that in positive way because not everything is premade and clan parties. Vast majority of players are on their own and it's not fun to lose because someone don't know or don't want to learn how to play properly. MP must be Ok and playable for everyone if TW want a future for this game.

The problem with this is that Ramboing is not the intended way the game mode is meant to be played. You really have to step back for a second and think about it. I'm the first to admit Skirmish style players have found a great way to really fk with the captain mode. Captain players are mostly interested in playing the mode as it was intended, the grievances with Ramboing is not about skill (all though hats off to very skilled 1v1 skirmish players) the grievances is that the mode has been warped by players exploiting weak ai so it is no longer able to be played as it was intended.

Surely you can to at least some degree understand what is being said here? And if you stand back and look at the big picture you can see that the mode is a shell of what it is supposed to be. Maybe you have never played Total War or even played Bannerlord in single player before, but captains is really quite closely aligned with that style of gameplay rather than the Skirmish Fps style.

Yeah but its not just that they are good at 1v1. Skirmish players are superior mechanically in a variety of aspects and I don't think you could simply say that they are good at 1v1's by the way they are good at killing a large number of bots very quickly and not dying.

Let me tell you why you can't beat "Rambo". It's because in order to beat it you have to be on the same general mechanical skill level as the rambo'er in question. If you, for example, had a competitive level skirmish player with an archer squad, they would easily be able to absolutely ruin the day of 1-2 or perhaps even 3 "Rambo" cav by sniping them off their horses in short order. Even if the archer unit was focused for this reason, it would cause greater damage than loss to the Rambo cav in question, or force them to ignore the unit completely. In other words:

Rambo is not a "meta" nor is it an infallible strategy. It is a strategy that ONLY EXISTS DUE TO THE MECHANICAL INCOMPETENCE of Captain's mode players.

Rambo does not work as well, if at all (to the extent you could call it the meta) against two teams of roughly equal mechanical skill.

Rambo is not a "meta" nor is it an infallible strategy. It is a strategy that ONLY EXISTS DUE TO THE MECHANICAL INCOMPETENCE of Captain's mode players.

Rambo does not work as well, if at all (to the extent you could call it the meta) against two teams of roughly equal mechanical skill.
True.

Different ranks/leagues will adjust that in some cases.

Yeah but its not just that they are good at 1v1. Skirmish players are superior mechanically in a variety of aspects and I don't think you could simply say that they are good at 1v1's by the way they are good at killing a large number of bots very quickly and not dying.

Let me tell you why you can't beat "Rambo". It's because in order to beat it you have to be on the same general mechanical skill level as the rambo'er in question. If you, for example, had a competitive level skirmish player with an archer squad, they would easily be able to absolutely ruin the day of 1-2 or perhaps even 3 "Rambo" cav by sniping them off their horses in short order. Even if the archer unit was focused for this reason, it would cause greater damage than loss to the Rambo cav in question, or force them to ignore the unit completely. In other words:

So basicly what you're saying is: git gud

Anyone can understand the point you're making. Will it help anyone? No. That's why, for the sake of the casual players without massive ego's, TW should do something about it. The enormously talented and mechanically skilled skirmish players can keep playing skirmish and nobody loses anything. Whats the problem?

Anyone can understand the point you're making. Will it help anyone? No. That's why, for the sake of the casual players without massive ego's, TW should do something about it. The enormously talented and mechanically skilled skirmish players can keep playing skirmish and nobody loses anything. Whats the problem?
Here is who it will help: the developers. The developers are reading the complaints of the Captain's mode players who are phrasing and presenting their arguments in a manner that paints the game of Captain's mode as a mode that is intrinsically flawed due to the intrinsically unbalanced mechanics and parameters of the game. This is not true.

The mechanics of Captain's mode are more or less balanced aside from a few quirks of the AI. The skill differential between Captain's mode players and Skirmish mode players is what lends the false assumption that there is an imbalance with the game mechanics.

And here is the problem with the argument that I have seen parroted here many times by several different people of "this is a casual gamemode, please save us from the big mean skirmish players!".

If this is indeed a casual game mode, then why does there exist entire clans and teams which play this game mode exclusively?

If this is indeed a casual game mode, then why does there exist several tournaments which have cash prize pools which are actually greater in value than any skirmish league tournaments?

If this is indeed nothing but a casual game mode, then why does there exist among many members of your community a sense of pride in which they brag about the tournament exploits of their Captain's clan, and a type of braggadocious swagger as they describe themselves as a "competitive Captain's mode player" ?

Are these factors not the antithesis of what you would expect from a "casual" game mode?

Here is the truth of the matter. You Captain's mode players who are so eager to denigrate competitive Skirmish mode players by tossing out the cheap accusation that we have oversized ego's are truly, and ironically the ones with the massive egotistical complex. You want to call yourselves good at something, competitive players in this Captain's game mode, and you succeeded in your endeavor up until the point that you faced true skill.

Skill is not something that can be accumulated from mindless mosh-pits of inf fights, or learning how to time your swing on horseback to kill brainless AI. It's something that is garnered over months and years of grinding. When I am an archer, in an average "casual" RaT party pickup (which people play non-seriously for fun), I am facing a team of six other thinking, strategizing, human beings who are giving me #1 prioritization trying to kill me. Between them, on average, exists 6000-7000 skirmish games where they have likely outplayed tens of thousands of archers over tens of thousands of situations, these archers also being thinking, strategizing, human beings trying to kill their opponent and not die. In addition to this, a facet widespread in the actual competitive Bannerlord community, exists the fact that the six people I am facing likely have between them, on average, 10-15 thousand hours in Warband, often competitive Warband, where they faced an even higher level of competition and strategy than Bannerlord has ever offered during its existence (and probably ever will). During this period of competitive play, they killed tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of archers between them, meaning they outplayed archers over hundreds of thousands of potential situations, and here I am, with a bow, and I have to avoid these six players and outplay the multitude of strategies they can bring against me with this experience, and I certainly do not have a squad of bots to save me. You Captain's mode players, in your facile complacency, expected to be able to go toe to toe with these individuals who have spent veritable years sharpening their skills off of each other, more akin and less than kind to a flintknapper, breaking off pieces of their soul, struggling through the cognitive dissonance of loss, and having the courage -- or the plain stubbornness, to face the same situations over and over again until they become less of a man and more of an edge fit to cut through any competition that faces them.

And you all have proven that you will never be as effective competitors as they are. Do you want to know why? Because you have MASSIVE egos. When a true competitive skirmish player takes a loss, they swallow their pride, admit their defeat, and then have the courage to face their vanquisher again and again until they have improved enough to claim victory. You on the other hand, as a community, have taken the coward's route, the route of women, and instead of admitting you were bested and taking a deep look at the problems you have as players, you instead blame the game and make forum threads like petulant children demanding that the game be fixed.

You don't even know what you want. There is no manner that you can patch this mode and still have it be a skill-based mode that is not entirely dependent on faction matchup and luck, that you will ever be able to best the superior competitors that will come from actual multiplayer modes. You are glorified singleplayer players and I petition that your entire game mode should be moved to the singleplayer menu, so people do not confuse it with an actual multiplayer PVP experience.

Sad!

Maybe if you spent your time actually pvping instead of prancing around with AI then this wouldn’t be an issue. I would be mad if people from a completely different scene came over and dominated my tournament as well. How about you stop moping and groping and stop thinking ur little tactical Napolens while pressing ur f1 f2 buttons and maybe learn rmb. You are only complaining because you are getting shafted by clans that don’t play your mode :grin:

In summary, to counter Rambo just be a better Rambo. (you can’t because you spent all your time roleplaying with AI)

Back
Top Bottom