Rambo-Cav in captain mode

Is Rambo-cav gameplay a problem for captain mode ?

• No i quite like it. It reward good skills, and i'm ready to wait the end of the fight

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No this is a problem, cavalery going one by one is totally stupid, and it takes forever

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • I don't care with your silly questions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

It sounds to me like the Captain people want personal combat skill to matter less
Or they want tactical ability to matter more. The problem is the AI and how ineffective the bots are. The bots should be dangerous. The good news is, if Taleworlds fixed this in Captain mode, it would also make single player battles better.

It's all but fixing consequences... The core problem - skill gap - needs to be adjusted on purpose. Design choice must be made.

You can not have a balanced game mode when you have tryhards facerolling everyone for ****s and giggles.

Personal skill shall be negated/balanced out in any massive multiplayer mode. There shall be instruments for countering a rambo.

There are 10% players who are good enough to pull out ramboing, so, they think it's a good and "fun" thing.

The rest 90% are the goddamn playersbase that will freaking quit because of BS like this.

Rambos need to be addressed, with clans in now 2 players can literally wreck the other team behind the lines with no way to stop them, this needs to be sorted as at the moment it isnt fun watching your xbows be murderd easily by 1 players with 9 lives....

cavalry needs the same amount of troops as heavy infantry and buff AI speed, in "follow me" order they should stay at your side in max speed, that would fix rambo behavior

It's all but fixing consequences... The core problem - skill gap - needs to be adjusted on purpose. Design choice must be made.

You can not have a balanced game mode when you have tryhards facerolling everyone for ****s and giggles.

Personal skill shall be negated/balanced out in any massive multiplayer mode. There shall be instruments for countering a rambo.

There are 10% players who are good enough to pull out ramboing, so, they think it's a good and "fun" thing.

The rest 90% are the goddamn playersbase that will freaking quit because of BS like this.
What I find frustrating about this is typically I can handily defeat another player in 1v1 (I do have 3000+ hours of experience to draw on) - however cav players will quickly realise this and just chase after my bots.

Or alternatively.. they just don't quit and I spend half a game round literally fighting the same player over & over until he runs out of bots to spawn to.

It's just boring. Everything about it.

What I find frustrating about this is typically I can handily defeat another player in 1v1 (I do have 3000+ hours of experience to draw on) - however cav players will quickly realise this and just chase after my bots.
Are you pretending that you can 1v1 a high level skirmish player in a typical inf mosh pit

Are you pretending that you can 1v1 a high level skirmish player in a typical inf mosh pit
High Level....? Only about 50 people actually play skirmish. This isn't DOTA. ?

For reference though I was referring to just regular games of captains mode. It wasn't meant to be a flex - just a point; people using this strategy target the bots not the players. My days of M&B clans, tournaments and training to play are long past - too old and too little time.

Last edited:
And you would lose to every single one of them
I'm confused - I thought you played skirmish?

?

Dude... let's keep the baiting to a minimum shall we. I am very happy and confident with my skill level at this game. If you feel you need to puff up your chest and compare e-penis; you can keep me out of it.

Sounds like a problem that wont be fixed like any other problem MP has. TW doesnt have the manpower to fix Skirmish, Captain and TDM.

The captain mode problems sound even more complicated, since you have to balance out missing skill of the real players, without making the bots to strong, while keeping classes balanced.

Easiest solution would be to "git gud" and take on the rambos personally, but I can see that this approach defies the point of the captain mode.

Sounds like a problem that wont be fixed like any other problem MP has. TW doesnt have the manpower to fix Skirmish, Captain and TDM.

The captain mode problems sound even more complicated, since you have to balance out missing skill of the real players, without making the bots to strong, while keeping classes balanced.

Easiest solution would be to "git gud" and take on the rambos personally, but I can see that this approach defies the point of the captain mode.
The problem is more complex then that though. It is not a simple matter of 'git gud'. let me envision a scenario for you.

I am playing archers, a lone cavalry player comes in with his heavy glaive or lance or whatever. I kill him or dehorse and kill him; but the chances of me doing that before he has killed 1-2 bots are slim. It takes several arrows/sword thrusts to kill a horse; and he is much faster then me - I can't cover everyone.

30 Seconds later he comes in again... I kill him again; but again he has killed 1 or 2 bots. Maybe 3-4 if I mess up or was distracted. I can't kill him fast enough.

30 seconds later he does it again... and again.. and again. I might kill him 5 times in a row without a scratch but it doesn't matter. My entire squad (and ergo all my respawns) are dead...

There is a misconception that it takes a very skilled player to pull this off - it doesn't. They don't need to fight the players; just the bots. I can kill an enemy player X many times; but if I lose 2 bots for every enemy player I kill like this; I will still lose the war of attrition. The problem is there is no punishment for dying like this - normally if you die; you are out of action for a few vital moments. Enough for the enemy to gain an advantage - but in this scenario there is no way a player can punish the rambo player as all his spawns are safely tucked away.

In summary there is no risk in this play. The worst that can happen to you is losing a single bot/life.

The solution to this problem is either to make such 'strategy' impossible - or increase the risk. I am not suggesting it - but consider if you only had 1 life each round (no respawns). Suddenly the risk/reward for this strategy is completely upturned and you would pretty immediately see it die off. This is an extreme example but you can see what I mean.

Last edited:
It's imo a huge factor. Personal skill also gets rewarded in SP a lot so I don't see this crying getting anywhere.
Literally just explained that this 'strategy' if anything removes personal skill. Targeting bots and avoiding player conflict is not player skill. (or at least not conventional skill you might see in skirmish).

If player A kills player B five times without dying you might say player A is the more skilled player.

But if player B respawns 5 times and kills 2 bots every life; player B wins 10-5...

You have to remember that bots = lives in this game mode. If a player targets bots - they are killing the opposing players lives without actually engaging them. That is the issue with this 'strategy'. Nothing to do with skill, or meta or anything - it's annoying and it ruins the points of the game mode.

People have this romantic notion that Ramboing is risky, brave and requires you to be better then the opponent. Of course not. You aren't risking anything - if you die you have 8-16 more spawns - all you have to do is more damage then you take. As you are only risking 1 life/bot - all you need to do is kill more bots then you lose lives and you are quids in.

Any player can do it - all they need to do is be capable of killing 2+ bots in one life. Not very hard... yeah better players might kill 5 or 10; but it doesn't matter. The player isn't risking anything.; any player who can kill a few bots before dying can rambo effectively.

Last edited:
I'm confused - I thought you played skirmish?

?

Dude... let's keep the baiting to a minimum shall we. I am very happy and confident with my skill level at this game. If you feel you need to puff up your chest and compare e-penis; you can keep me out of it.
Yes I do and as an archer player with 150 ping I would be more than happy to 7-0 you in duel at any time.

Regardless, if you captain mode players could shoot a bow with any degree of accuracy you could easily deal with "Rambo" cav as it is incredibly easy to shoot a cav off their horse that charges in without a shield, in straight lines, and in wide open, flat maps. Sad!

Yes I do and as an archer player with 150 ping I would be more than happy to 7-0 you in duel at any time.

Regardless, if you captain mode players could shoot a bow with any degree of accuracy you could easily deal with "Rambo" cav as it is incredibly easy to shoot a cav off their horse that charges in without a shield, in straight lines, and in wide open, flat maps. Sad!
Oh dear... Calling me a captains mode player is a very odd term. I wouldn't have called myself a 'battle' player when I was part of the Pav_Gren regiment; or a Persistent World player during the Crusader Campaign events. Bello Civili dominated my time for a long time - but I still kept my options open.

However... I don't have patience for a digital pissing contest. So please do bark away... Obviously people on the internet thinking you are good at this game is important to your self-esteem :rolleyes:. I play games (in the time I have between work and family) to relax; not measure digital manhoods - I play the game often on EU - typically between 8PM & 10PM GMT; you are more then welcome to come find me in game. However... I won't be spending any of my (limited) time on contacting you.

Now if we could talk about the subject matter again please....?

Last edited:
Oh dear... Calling me a captains mode player is a very odd term. I wouldn't have called myself a 'battle' player when I was part of the Pav_Gren regiment; or a Persistent World player during the Crusader Campaign events. Bello Civili dominated my time for a long time - but I still kept my options open.

However... I don't have patience for a digital pissing contest. So please do bark away... Obviously people on the internet thinking you are good at this game is important to your self-esteem :rolleyes:. I play games (in the time I have between work and family) to relax; not measure digital manhoods - I play the game often on EU - typically between 8PM & 10PM GMT; you are more then welcome to come find me in game. However... I won't be spending any of my (limited) time on contacting you.

Now if we could talk about the subject matter again please....?
And now on Bannerlord, (other modes irrelevant as Warband is a different game with questionable skill overlap) you kill bots, and therefore fight like a bot in the eyes of any competitive skirmish mode player.

And now on Bannerlord, (other modes irrelevant as Warband is a different game with questionable skill overlap) you kill bots, and therefore fight like a bot in the eyes of any competitive skirmish mode player.
Do you think I only play captains mode? Or that even that is the majority of what I play?

:rolleyes:

It's like you barely even know me! ?

Seriously - here is a wall;

brick-wall-wallpaper.jpg

Show me how far you can urinate up it and then I'll try and beat it.:xf-wink:

Christ almighty....

Last edited:
Do you think I only play captains mode? Or that even that is the majority of what I play?

:rolleyes:

It's like you barely even know me! ?
I know that if you were mechanically skilled at the game you wouldn't be posting in two threads trying to change the meta of captains mode just because you got dunked on by skirmish teams. Sad!

Back
Top Bottom