Rambo-Cav in captain mode

Is Rambo-cav gameplay a problem for captain mode ?

• No i quite like it. It reward good skills, and i'm ready to wait the end of the fight

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No this is a problem, cavalery going one by one is totally stupid, and it takes forever

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • I don't care with your silly questions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

FyoAiiR.png
So, wanna try or you are only good in posting pics?

I mean, DM won a set of 6 inf vs 6 inf on NA east server with 3 - 0 score vs SkBR or whatever is their team name, which is the best captain mode team afaik? skirmish players just superior to captain mode players, hands down
Just to be clear, DM are fantastic players. I rated them at the top before the league had started, when I thought the meta was going to be infantry. They're great learners and I had no doubt they'd learn captain. Obviously, when CrCC and APE popularized the rambo meta, DM adapted and became the best at it because they're the best cav.

However in our match, that's incorrect. DM played cav every round except for one.

First map: they picked the best cav map and Khuzait, so we picked Battania to split the score. Each team went 3-0 as Khuzait because cav is very OP.

Second map: we picked the smallest map and the best infantry faction Sturgia, because we wanted the 6v6 infantry matchup. DM surprised us by going Vlandia and all cav as Vlandia and Sturgia. They played flags always got the final flag in an open area, where they could continue to rambo our bots as cav.

We managed to take a round on each side by changing up our strategies and trying to find something that worked. At some point they expected us to bring a lot of cav, which we did, and brought a bunch of infantry, and I'm pretty sure they won that round. That was not 6v6 infantry, we were at the infantry disadvantage.

EDIT: So, again, the reason we want to nerf rambo isn't because it's only something DM can do. We literally 3-0'd DM as rambo when they couldn't play rambo. We go rambo against all other teams. But we can't do it to DM, because DM is much better at cav.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, DM are fantastic players. I rated them at the top before the league had started, when I thought the meta was going to be infantry. They're great learners and I had no doubt they'd learn captain. Obviously, when CrCC and APE popularized the rambo meta, DM adapted and became the best at it because they're the best cav.

However in our match, that's incorrect. DM played cav every round except for one.

First map: they picked the best cav map and Khuzait, so we picked Battania to split the score. Each team went 3-0 as Khuzait because cav is very OP.

Second map: we picked the smallest map and the best infantry faction Sturgia, because we wanted the 6v6 infantry matchup. DM surprised us by going Vlandia and all cav as Vlandia and Sturgia. They played flags always got the final flag in an open area, where they could continue to rambo our bots as cav.

We managed to take a round on each side by changing up our strategies and trying to find something that worked. At some point they expected us to bring a lot of cav, which we did, and brought a bunch of infantry, and I'm pretty sure they won that round. That was not 6v6 infantry, we were at the infantry disadvantage.

EDIT: So, again, the reason we want to nerf rambo isn't because it's only something DM can do. We literally 3-0'd DM as rambo when they couldn't play rambo. We go rambo against all other teams. But we can't do it to DM, because DM is much better at cav.
I have mistaken SkBR with VoV then, I am sorry. all the captains mode teams looks the same to me cuz I don't know the teams and don't follow the tournament at all except the times when DM don't have 6th so I join in and couch 100 bots per 1 set.

Dozens of archers being unable to protect themselves against one cav
Clearly nobody read my post beyond the replies to it. You can beat a rambo cav player if you are a good archer. Captain's players have no good archers. Any high level skirmish player can easily make the shot 8 times to kill a squad of shieldless ramboing cav before incurring too much damage to their archer unit. This has been my testable observation that I have confirmed over the course of several days of Captain's mode pub play.

What I don't get is a bunch of skirmish players with no interest in the game mode coming in flaming people and trying to have an effect a game mode they don't even play.

Clearly nobody read my post beyond the replies to it. You can beat a rambo cav player if you are a good archer. Captain's players have no good archers. Any high level skirmish player can easily make the shot 8 times to kill a squad of shieldless ramboing cav before incurring too much damage to their archer unit. This has been my testable observation that I have confirmed over the course of several days of Captain's mode pub play.
Yes... and that still shouldn't happen. You shouldn't have to spend half a round killing the same guy over an over - nor should his team have to deal with playing 5v6 because one guy wants to act cocky.

Are you seeing the point now? Rambo ruins games regardless of how good someone is because it destroys the intention of the game mode... This is exactly what i said in my original post which you then got all snarky about....

What I find frustrating about this is typically I can handily defeat another player in 1v1 (I do have 3000+ hours of experience to draw on) - however cav players will quickly realise this and just chase after my bots.

Or alternatively.. they just don't quit and I spend half a game round literally fighting the same player over & over until he runs out of bots to spawn to.

It's just boring. Everything about it.

and couch 100 bots per 1 set.
Doesn't saying that expose in itself the reason it's not great for the game mode over all? Surely with all the chest beating aside you can study your own words and understand why it isn't really a great fit for captains mode.

Last edited:
Anyone can rambo - it's not very hard. If you can kill bots in singleplayer you can rambo. Afterall all you need to do is kill more then you lose.
Yesterday XYZ try to rambo us with 6 cav when we was playing 6 inf, and it didn't work at all, it even wasn't close. so no anyone can't rambo. Rambo is working only between two teams, with a huge gap of skill.

Yesterday XYZ try to rambo us with 6 cav when we was playing 6 inf, and it didn't work at all, it even wasn't close. so no anyone can't rambo. Rambo is working only between two teams, with a huge gap of skill.
Respectfully you're missing the point.

It doesn't matter if it works or if it doesn't. It's not good for the health of the game and destroys the intention of the game-mode.

What I don't get is a bunch of skirmish players with no interest in the game mode coming in flaming people and trying to have an effect a game mode they don't even play.
I mean if skirmish clan invested time to play entire season, that kinda means we care no?

What I don't get is why are you guys trying to limit player skill, instead of making your suggestions towards increasing bots/commanding impact. Nerfing player skill won't do anything good other than limiting your mode even more.

Respectfully you're missing the point.

It doesn't matter if it works or if it doesn't. It's not good for the health of the game and destroys the intention of the game-mode.
It does matter if it works or not... If it is not a viable high-level strategy then the point is moot. Sad! There is a range of ineffective troll strategies that can ruin the game.

yeh, it seems to me captain players have found out personal skill outvalues strategic ability and tactics. First we need to dicsuss if that is a problem. Then we need to look for a potential solution. Devalue personal skill and/or increase strategic impact.

*Edit* Also, it would be needed to find out whetever or not captain players actually possess greater stragetic ability than the skirmish clans.

It does matter if it works or not... If it is not a viable high-level strategy then the point is moot. Sad! There is a range of ineffective troll strategies that can ruin the game.
Calling anything high-level in a game with only about 200 people playing is pretty pathetic! ?

Like how many teams are there that actually play in NA - like 4 or 5 at best? It would be kind of sweet in any other circumstance. ?

However I am glad you agree that it needs to be fixed...

Last edited:
I mean if skirmish clan invested time to play entire season, that kinda means we care no?

What I don't get is why are you guys trying to limit player skill, instead of making your suggestions towards increasing bots/commanding impact. Nerfing player skill won't do anything good other than limiting your mode even more.
That surely is an opinion, but comments like surreals are just pure toxicity. I personally would love more bot control, with commands to change weapons, target specific units/areas (this is hard to get right), increased troop count (apparently it's low for "accessibility") and making the AI more proficient.

That being said I also think that parking cav in spawn as extra life is BS and should not be a part of the game mode, no matter how much it raises the skill ceiling of the mode. The remedies for it are many, and I don't think any of the skirmish players have given any real feedback on how to make the mode better.

The game stops being casual when tournaments are formed. If ramboing is an issue only at the highest level, divisions would fix that pretty quickly.
If the top players in Captain cant beat the Skirmish teams, then thats just how it is. Adopt the same strategies and do better.
Everyone rambos. Even the middle of the pack clans rambo against the poor Australians who have 200 ping. They only complain when they lose against a team who is better at rambo. Beating 6 cavalry shouldn't be difficult for any clan as long as your not Aserai. Just go 6 heavy infantry with long spear and split on two flags. If you can simply use a spear you should win.

Everyone rambos. Even the middle of the pack clans rambo against the poor Australians who have 200 ping. They only complain when they lose against a team who is better at rambo. Beating 6 cavalry shouldn't be difficult for any clan as long as your not Aserai. Just go 6 heavy infantry with long spear and split on two flags. If you can simply use a spear you should win.
this is the original post
RAMBO CAV players, wich are draaaging the games forever and ever, picking some kills and are exploiting ( because it is an exploit ) a weakness of the game design.
This is not only time consumming, but this is negative for the new players who just arrive in that game and find captain mode BORING as hell.
there is no mention of how it's op, it's just incredibly boring for everyone but the rambo player.
a game where you counter the rambo player by standing on a flag and protecting your units is not a fun game.

Back
Top Bottom