SP - General Raiding should give more than the contents of the town market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Apocal

Grandmaster Knight
Just in case you aren't aware, raiding in the vanilla game has a loot table taken from the village market. You can only grab a portion of whatever they were selling. That means it is generally more effective to simply buy the food (even at inflated prices) rather than raid for it, if you're low on food. That doesn't make sense.

You should be pulling from the village's seed grain, their breeding stock, the supplies of individual farmers, the tools they've stored, provisions set aside for winter, etc. In other words, more than what can be found on the market.

Otherwise it makes more sense to buy it and move on.

agree! you dont get much out from the time you spend on doing the raiding incl the risk you put in to it

It's never made much sense to me that you're able to buy goods from enemy villages in the first place. I understand the peasantry may not care who they are selling their harvest to, but their liege lord would probably have something to say about willingly assisting the enemy.

Maybe you should not be allowed to trade with enemy villages at all, only allowed access to a portion of neutral villages' stocks, and allowed full access to allied villages' stocks. Then to compensate, raiding can be more lucrative.

Edit: Then if the loyalty of an enemy village's bound town is low, the village will actually sell you goods.

Last edited:
It's never made much sense to me that you're able to buy goods from enemy villages in the first place. I understand the peasantry may not care who they are selling their harvest to, but their liege lord would probably have something to say about willingly assisting the enemy.

Maybe you should not be allowed to trade with enemy villages at all, only allowed access to a portion of neutral villages' stocks, and allowed full access to allied villages' stocks. Then to compensate, raiding can be more lucrative.

same goes for recruiting.

Edit: Then if the loyalty of an enemy village's bound town is low, the village will actually sell you goods.

I think there is a trade penalty applied to the prices if you're at war, which works fine for trade goods, but if you're just looking to top up on food it is never so expensive that it breaks the bank. Villages just outright refusing to sell to you is a better way of doing it because it is vaguely ridiculous that my best means of keeping supplied in enemy territory is to simply pay the farmers as I pass through.

I think there is a trade penalty applied to the prices if you're at war
Huh, so there is. I've never noticed that. But you're right, if your army is on the brink of starvation, paying a little extra money is not going to stop anyone from buying out the entire stock. Keeping your army together is far more valuable.

Part of me justifies this as villagers just getting a bit nervous and giving you things, lest they find themselves on the pointy end of your sword.

Yeah Raiding is basically pointless as a result, it costs way more in wages/opportunnity cost for the time spent raiding than to just move on.

This is a drastic oversight imo -why on earth should you be able to simply recruit from a village in a faction you are war with? Now if the game featured micro-politics in which perhaps for whatever reason that village has hatred towards its own faction leadership that would be one thing - but since they choose to keep things simplistic in that regards then it should fall on simplistic in the recruiting game as well

every settlement has hidden storages of food, and everyone has jewels and denars below his mattress. raiding oughts to be more profitable than buying from a place or owning it and getting taxes, as it happens in real life.

This is a drastic oversight imo -why on earth should you be able to simply recruit from a village in a faction you are war with? Now if the game featured micro-politics in which perhaps for whatever reason that village has hatred towards its own faction leadership that would be one thing - but since they choose to keep things simplistic in that regards then it should fall on simplistic in the recruiting game as well
yes there is no reason why a village would betray its own faction since micropolitics like that dont exist. but it could be intimidation by your large army. in that case though those soldiers should be easier to deflect from you. except if he hated the village life and found your army as a chance to escape with riches and glory, which would be personal micropolitics on its own, lol.

Just in case you aren't aware, raiding in the vanilla game has a loot table taken from the village market. You can only grab a portion of whatever they were selling. That means it is generally more effective to simply buy the food (even at inflated prices) rather than raid for it, if you're low on food. That doesn't make sense.

You should be pulling from the village's seed grain, their breeding stock, the supplies of individual farmers, the tools they've stored, provisions set aside for winter, etc. In other words, more than what can be found on the market.

Otherwise it makes more sense to buy it and move on.
I agree. raiding should be more profitable and not only be based on the village marker. Maybe prosperity levels is a better base. Role playing as an evil bandit character needs improvements is general.
It could make for different play through.
I like to add the following suggestions:
- recruiting bandits from streetgangs and hide-outs
- take over gang locations in cities. Be the rival gang that is alway mentioned in the quests. After taking over, the gang generates income from protection money and a small percentage from every villager party and caravan. Other gangs will try to remove you.
- slavers to buy your captives. Sea camps on the shore, or linked to the Aserai mamluk troop tree (slave warriors), sell your captives to traveling Aserai caravans. I would like for Aserai to have a slightly different troop tree, it doesn't make sense that slave warriors are recruited from peasant.
- Get contracts to hunt down caravans from rival merchants( or other kingdoms) and to raid villages.
- Get contracts to hunt down specific characters for political leverage by other powers or to kill them.
- If your renown/roguery is high enough you can dispose a bandit leader by way of duel and take over the hideout and install a companion/clan member on that position. After that you can call on the bandit parties connected to the hideout to join your army.
- If you renown/roguery is even higher you can convince other bandit parties to follow you. They stay with you if there is enough plunder. They will leave if you do not have enough succes.
- Now and then you get challenged by an aspiring bandit to replace you. Could be a cool way to introduce some wildly different characters and fighting styles. This would give dueling a bigger role in the game.
- After your relations with a faction deteriorate enough. they will actively try to hunt you down. A ambush mechanic with a lower visibility zone in forrest would be very helpful here.

I know I made most of the above points in other treads, but I hope the more people read it, the bigger the chance a developer or modder sees it.

Back
Top Bottom