Raiding is not worth the reputation cost imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Two things that are bothering me at the moment.

Aside from the non working AI

1) Raiding monasteries is broken. You can literally spend the entire game raiding these places while your reputation plummets to oblivion. The upside is that you can make about ~4000 per raid but the reputation loss is too high. Over time everyone will hate you and you will be at war with every nation.

Good luck starting your own faction!

2) It should be easier for me to recruit soldiers from the get go. Right now my only option is to recruit farmers by bribing town governorns or through recruiting spear-men and archers from taverns (assuming you get lucky enough to see them in taverns)

What do you guys think?

1) I don't follow your comment on monasteries. You raided a bunch of them and now everyone hates you. That sounds like a reasonable response. Are you asking how do I get money other than raiding them?

2) Are you playing Sandbox? In story mode they have a lot of options for gaining troops, so I may not be familiar with the challenges of an unguided start. From what I understand of the mechanics, however, you need permission from a lord to recruit in their town/village/castle. You could try asking them for quests to raise your rep rather than spending bribe money.

myarta said:
1) I don't follow your comment on monasteries. You raided a bunch of them and now everyone hates you. That sounds like a reasonable response. Are you asking how do I get money other than raiding them?

2) Are you playing Sandbox? In story mode they have a lot of options for gaining troops, so I may not be familiar with the challenges of an unguided start. From what I understand of the mechanics, however, you need permission from a lord to recruit in their town/village/castle. You could try asking them for quests to raise your rep rather than spending bribe money.

1) Exactly the point is that raiding is not worth it.

2) Sandbox, and yes recruiting is difficult at the beginning. Sure you can get an army but it will take longer than it should be.

myarta said:

If you do a quest for a town they still don't let you recruit.
He means that as a norse pagan if you raid monastaries the reputation loss is stupid, why would pagans get mad at you for raiding Christians? Sure if you raid every christian monastery there is all the christians will hate you but the pagans would probably like you more for it. Honestly it is too hard to start off in sandbox, even when i begin with the best starting stats. I mean sometimes it costs 800 penning to get a elder to let you recruit, then you might only get 1 or no guys from the town. You only have to spend 300 bribing the village elder if you get lucky, with your starting traits, but its still far too much money. You can't ask lords for men until you have one hundred and fifty renown, and to get that renown you need to win lots of little battles. The only surefire way to get decent numbers of men early on is to get them from farm steads. But those are only in certain places (wales and corn wall in southern Britain), its mental that theres not a single one in mainland mierce, east anglia, or west seaxe.

grimmdawg said:
Urban_Viking said:
The only surefire way to get decent numbers of men early on is to get them from farm steads.

Or monastaries. Which are everywhere.
I didn't know you could get men from there?
What do you get ****ty monks that can't turn into elite troops even if they kill a thousand enemies?

Farmers, refugees and peasant women. Not great but they'll do to fill out your forces while you beat up some weaklings for money.

2. Your a random guy with sod all money, no name and no reputation.

What do you expect to happen? Walk into a town and every young able bodied man in the vicinity come to you asking to die for you? It's not even hard to get men 10 days into my sandbox campaign I have 6 villages to recruit from and a city.

It should be easier for me to recruit soldiers from the get go.

you can tweak the recruiting of villages and mercenaries using TweakMB.

You could go crazy and set a village to give you 200 elite troops (extreme example, but it shows that you can tweak it anyway you enjoy more). Or 200 mercenaries on taverns.

Why dont you try by increasing the troops numbers ? Find your own balance. Be it VC default, VC + 10, VC + 100, etc. You can even come back later and share your experience with the tweak.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Raiding monasteries is broken

Brytenwalda had a similar issue. You can kill lords. Everyone in the world hates you if you do that tho. My first playthrough I killed 10 lords in a row and broke my game. I had to use the savegame editor and reset ALOT of relations with nations and lords lol.

Right now its a question of balance: you can raid at will, everyone will hate you, you will have to live with the consequences. Form your kingdom far away or dont be a big king.

Raiding has fine consequences w/ Christians. The relationship hit with Pagan lords is very frustrating.

Sigurd bloody Ragnarson hates me for raiding lindisfarne. How does that remotely seem right?

SmattlePattle said:
Raiding has fine consequences w/ Christians. The relationship hit with Pagan lords is very frustrating.

Sigurd bloody Ragnarson hates me for raiding lindisfarne. How does that remotely seem right?

You must've destroyed all his favorite ale in the process  :razz:

JuJu70 said:
SmattlePattle said:

You must've destroyed all his favorite ale in the process  :razz:

He is mad cause you stoled all the gold he had planned to steal himself. Now he will have to raid your base instead. Good luck!

Ask and ye shall receive:
- Fixed "Looting Monasteries cost to much reputation"

From the 1.01 beta patch notes just posted at the top of this forum along with a crap ton of other fixes.

Belthize said:
Ask and ye shall receive:
- Fixed "Looting Monasteries cost to much reputation"

From the 1.01 beta patch notes just posted at the top of this forum along with a crap ton of other fixes.

yeah but how much less? and will Norse Jarls still hate you as well?

Wish raiding worked like this-

Raiding monasteries increases reputation with Norse lords, but you would still incur a negative penalty with the christian factions. The Norse lords would come flocking to your banner if you could make them them rich through raiding and starting a new kingdom. The current blanket policy is just not realistic, why the hell would a pagan Jarl in Denmark give a **** about a monastery in England or Ireland getting looted?

Reputation system needs to be re-worked a bit for sure imo.     

it needs to be reworked.  having your rep with those factions go down EVERY DAY, INFINITELY is not ****ing cool.  it should be a one shot deal, for every monastery you raid, or something to that nature.  even after i pay money to make peace with those nations, it doesnt do anything because the next day guess what, it starts going down again

I semi-disagree.  I get that it may not be worth the cost, just not convinced that's a problem.  My current game (day 400+) and I'm fairly hated by all the christian kingdoms.

I agree it's painful but actions should have consequences and repeated farming of monestaries (you are slaughtering the defenseless priests of their religion) should have fairly permanent repercussions.  And the slow decline through passing stories is a nice touch rather than some simpler, automatic -50 points, type approach.  Further it gives a sort of standard mode (christian) and hard mode (pagan) game play in one go that the player can tune the hardness of by either raiding or not raiding monestaries.

So that's the dissent part.

I do agree that some tuning might be in order but I'd prefer that wait till kingdom AI is fixed (i.e. Denmark and Vegr armies marching on the isles).  As it stands now you're kind of going it alone which makes it a bit worse than Bretynwalda was.  BTW, I'm not referring to Bretynwalda in terms of 'it should be like Bretynwalda', that's a different game, I'm just referring to it as a reference point.

If there is a solution it should be relatively expensive/painful in either resources or time to offset the benefit in raiding and it should be a one time thing, if you go back to raiding that solution is then off the table.  It might be nice to pop up a warning the first time you raid a monestary saying what the risk is.  Most folks who've never played Bretynwalda don't realize what they're getting into, they just see it as a free lunch.

Given the teams propensity for quests maybe a hard quest to return some religious artifact from a fairly large and tough Viking raiding party.  One that's big enough that you'd pretty much have to rebuild your decimated army before moving on to the kingdom formation business.

The penalty with pagan lords is definitely a bug and was either fixed in the 1.01 beta patch (haven't confirmed) or one can assume will be fixed.

Hey Bunny, fellow Gaming Staff. :smile:

I made a Merchant thread in the subforum on how to make money.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,320277.msg7579254.html#msg7579254

Good luck. :smile: May the coin be with you.

Had this isue a while back when I raided the hell out of monasteries and someone on the forum gave me the solution : convert to christianity, then back to pagan. This won't remove the penalty with the pissed of lords, but would avoid them becoming even more pissed (if you stop raiding monasteries from that point forward)

Back
Top Bottom