MP Racism in Multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racism over the internet is pretty hard to confirm lol, considering no one knows anything about anyone on the other side of the screen.

It's a fruitless effort to try and regulate something that is so obscure

Pretty amazed at how many people came to defend racism. "Warband was toxic so it's fine" "You're thin-skinned" "It's the internet just mute them" I shouldn't have to mute people in every lobby I join to enjoy my game.

While it's only words on a video game, it would be ideal to have a report feature so that 'repeat offenders' can be globally muted.
Having toggleable word filters and a personal mute function that works (the interface to do so right now is kinda hidden and unintuitive), where the mutes are tied to the steam account/player ID would be enough. I know someone who was banned outright from the closed beta for "borderline racist messages", whatever that even means. Clearly he wasn't being specifically racist, or otherwise it wouldn't have been "borderline". I alluded to this issue in the several threads where this was debated at length over the past 4 years, where people get banned over misunderstandings, for banter, or because the person reporting them is ignorant of the cultural situation, or is downright bigoted and on a crusade against all content that offends them personally.

Ideally, if at all possible, there should be a hidden, behind the scenes report mechanism, where there should be a toggleable multiplayer tick box of "chat filter", and anyone who recieves enough of these hidden reports has their messages simply not show up to anyone with the chat filter enabled. This way, those of us that like banter, swearing, ****posting, etc., can see the content that the sheltered kids don't want to see, and they don't have to see it. This prevents misunderstandings and fun banter from getting people banned outright, which is inevitable if TaleWorlds takes the people that cry about it seriously.

Pretty amazed at how many people came to defend racism.
I doubt most of the people that you're talking about are outright "defending racism". Merely they have a different perspective on what the internet is, and the best means to deal with said people.

Here's an example for you to think about: N****(the n word that ends with an a), if I say that in the chat, chances are I get banned/muted/punished/whatever. And yet that word is used most frequently not by non-black people against black people, not any more, but by black people to others. Ponder for a second the potential bigotry of you(who I am making an assumption isn't black), reporting someone to a community manager, who also isn't black, for using n**** in a culturally-insular way, and banning them for it? Now there's a cultural misunderstanding, a disconnect between the person using the word, the person offended by the word, and the person administrating, and a person who is behaving in a manner technically not racist is banned for racism. These kinds of issues are absolutely pervasive in gaming now as administration from central authorities swings the ban hammer with reckless abandon, and people who aren't doing anything wrong get banned for no reason, and all to satisfy the moral outrage of someone who gets offended at everything. It chokes all of the fun out of the chat and diminshes many people's gaming experience. It's unacceptable.

Here's an example for you to think about: N****(the n word that ends with an a), if I say that in the chat, chances are I get banned/muted/punished/whatever. And yet that word is used most frequently not by non-black people against black people, not any more, but by black people to others. Ponder for a second the potential bigotry of you(who I am making an assumption isn't black), reporting someone to a community manager, who also isn't black, for using n**** in a culturally-insular way, and banning them for it? Now there's a cultural misunderstanding, a disconnect between the person using the word, the person offended by the word, and the person administrating, and a person who is behaving in a manner technically not racist is banned for racism. These kinds of issues are absolutely pervasive in gaming now as administration from central authorities swings the ban hammer with reckless abandon, and people who aren't doing anything wrong get banned for no reason, and all to satisfy the moral outrage of someone who gets offended at everything. It chokes all of the fun out of the chat and diminshes many people's gaming experience. It's unacceptable.
I see people spamming the hard r all the time, are you saying thats a cultural misunderstanding?

I see people spamming the hard r all the time, are you saying thats a cultural misunderstanding?
The point I am trying to get at is that the subjective quality of the words used, and cultural disconnect, leads to misunderstandings. I agree that if you don't want to see a word, of any kind, because they offend your subjective sensitivities, that you should have the right, and the mechanisms available, to curate your own chat. The example you are using (which ultimately I think is retarded, the """hard r""" has people call it, sounds exactly the same and means the exact same thing) may be quite cut and dry, but all of the bull**** that surrounds the banning of people for using words never stops there. Never. And if the end result is people being banned for swearing, banter, common insults, because they are subjectively offensive as well (before someone pulls out the Slippery Slope card: I've seen this happen on several occasions. It happens, therefore it isn't a logical fallacy to assume it could easily happen again now), then the destruction of an amusing chat ruins my game experience in the same way people using racism in the chat ruins your game experience. Who takes precedence?

When private servers are implemented, admins will enforce whatever speech rules they want. I would say that you wanting an easier alternative than the mute button is at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of what needs to be addressed with this game right now.

The game isn't even completed, lot's of missing features, bugs and the wrong kinds of nerfs being introduced in patches and you want the developers to focus on multiplayer chat because some words on a screen hurt your feelings? Get in line, more important things need fixing.

Go to a bar and insult someone, see how much of a snowflake he is. It sure is easy being a badass on the internet without any danger huh.
This idea that not wanting to see people get insulted online makes you weak has to stop... What an idiotic way to act toward people.
Toxic communities make people leave the game. You want to drive away the online scene even faster than the lack of content will? Brilliant!
Feeling frustrated about the game? Punch the monitor like a real man.

Maybe an issue for the thin-skinned snowflakes. Just ignore it or mute them it isn't difficult.

I found the racist. Well a racist.
I swear this generation needs to toughen up. I f someone says something offensive, then laugh at them, their opinion means little.

, I found another one.
There is only American people to complain about the "N" "H" "R" words. You need to stop being pussies. Words are words. Stop reading chat, or mute people.

I'm not American, so in don't get offended when i see <snip> ". Damn people are soft nowadays, especially "progressive" Muricans..
Grow some balls, or ignore them.

Here's another one.
Racism over the internet is pretty hard to confirm lol, considering no one knows anything about anyone on the other side of the screen.

It's a fruitless effort to try and regulate something that is so obscure

Typing the N word into a chat? Yeah that probably makes you a racist.

The point I am trying to get at is that the subjective quality of the words used, and cultural disconnect, leads to misunderstandings. I agree that if you don't want to see a word, of any kind, because they offend your subjective sensitivities, that you should have the right, and the mechanisms available, to curate your own chat. The example you are using (which ultimately I think is retarded, the """hard r""" has people call it, sounds exactly the same and means the exact same thing) may be quite cut and dry, but all of the bull**** that surrounds the banning of people for using words never stops there. Never. And if the end result is people being banned for swearing, banter, common insults, because they are subjectively offensive as well (before someone pulls out the Slippery Slope card: I've seen this happen on several occasions. It happens, therefore it isn't a logical fallacy to assume it could easily happen again now), then the destruction of an amusing chat ruins my game experience in the same way people using racism in the chat ruins your game experience. Who takes precedence?

The people spamming the N word in chat are mostly white dudes who, with the benefit of anonymity, get to play out their deep seated racist feelings. But, I mean, there are plenty of people trashing jews, holocaust denying, trashing muslims, trashing hispanic people, trashing lgbt people. The game appeals to the same community as Mordhau, and Mordhau quickly became a haven for nazis, racists, and other types of hard right scum. These types love medieval simulators because they get to go back to a fantasy time where is was okay to hate and kill the people they hate.

The game isn't even completed, lot's of missing features, bugs and the wrong kinds of nerfs being introduced in patches and you want the developers to focus on multiplayer chat because some words on a screen hurt your feelings? Get in line, more important things need fixing.

Its better to show the ****heads the door early. If you are comfortable playing in a community that regularly uses slurs, that says nothing good about you.

To be fair, sometimes it is more elaborate than the single "n word". This erudite shared his knowledge yesterday in TDM.
1587296108-intellectual.jpg

I guess it's humor.
edit : it came after several uses of the n word, though. And seemed very first degree.

Last edited:
They stated somewhere recently they're working on a report system in-game. I do however think a simple filter could be implemented and was one of many reasons they didn't want private servers from the release. As a way to centralize power and rules. Apparently they've less fantasy than the community, but are ignoring the suggestions, ideas and theories.

Go to a bar and insult someone, see how much of a snowflake he is. It sure is easy being a badass on the internet without any danger huh.
This idea that not wanting to see people get insulted online makes you weak has to stop... What an idiotic way to act toward people.

Exactly.
It's difficult to explain this concept to them also, that it's not me personally taking offense at what you are writing and hur dur snowflake. I take "offense" at the mentality behind the action, because most of the time it's fake because of a monitor. The offense is more like I'd really like to see you do this in real life and get knocked, and you won't either so the way you fake your badass edgy existence is annoying right now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom