Races

Users who are viewing this thread

guspav

Section Moderator
This is a brief description of the Mod's Races

Elves:
Nimble and with a natural talent with bows and magic they make superb ranged warriors, note that all elven troops carry a ranged weapon of some sort.

Dwarves
Short, hardy and with a moderate amount of magic defense, they make awesome melee fighters, they do not like ranged weapons usually, but the few dwarves who do specialize become very deadly with crossbow or arquebus

Drow
The dark kin of the elves are also quite fond of magic and in their hostile environment have developed an unmatched magical resistance. Being children of the night, all are used to sneaking around and a drow throwing dagger is standard issue to almost all of their troops. The dark high priestesses of Lolth have also been known to carry sometimes the wonderous healer's ring.

Orcs
Savage monsters of the steppes. They value brute strength above all and are quite deadly with their thrown, two handed weapons and riding powerful giant wolves, the orc shamans are also quite feared since they are capable mage-clerics.

Gnomes
Tiny, very smart and creative, they are not part of the dominant races, however they usually excel as inventors and engineers.

Skeletons
Once living warriors, they fell in battle long ago. With the powers of necromancy, they were brought to unlife to fight for their masters. Being not much more than animated bones with various degrees of power, they can't learn and thus cannot be upgraded, but still are dangerous in large quantities. Skeletons have a wide array of weapons, which makes them very versatile. They, however, are easily destroyed by well placed blows. Like all undead, skeletons can be turned or destroyed by clerics.

Zombies
Lumbering reanimated corpses. Just like skeletons they were raised to serve their masters, but are in various states of decay. Zombies tend to be quite strong and resistant to damage, but very slow when walking around. Being ultimately clumsy, zombies can't use any kind of ranged weapon, which makes them some sort of mindless meat shields. They, like all undead, are immune to fear caused by morale loss, but they still can be turned or destroyed by powerful clerics.

Shadows
Unlike Zombies or skeletons,which are just reanimated corpses, shadows are summoned from the shadow plane by a powerful necromancer. They retain a part of their former selves, but twisted and darkened by their vile hearts. Shadows grow stronger and tougher with experience, just like living creatures. They move very quickly and can receive quite a bit of damage before being destroyed. Being naturally hard to see, most shadows have learned how to do sneak attacks when they are wielding the right weapons. The most powerful shadows become fearsome wizards and knights that fill Calradia's denizens with terror.

Mummies
Mummies are the folk that used to live beyond the Sarranid dunes. An ancient curse and the will of the Lich King has brought them back to serve him and his allies and once again attempt to conquer it all and destroy all who resist.
Mummies still remember their past lives and are quite intelligent, so they can be upgraded unlike most other undead. They are foot soldiers and archers and they excel at using shields. In their ranks, one can also find the deadly mummy priests who will heal their allies and harm their foes with mighty bolts of pure evil.
Mummies can also be turned, but are more resistant than other undead.

Golems
Golems are elemental spirits trapped in elaborate constructs made of different materials. They are huge powerful automatons who will obey their masters without hesitating, even if it means the ultimate destruction of the golems themselves.
They are built and animated at the Wizard Tower, but only the most renowned friends of the Magocracy can have access to the stronger variants.

Is it possible to just be highly renowned and on good terms with the Mag. and acquire the golems? I got lucky early on when I found a master mage traveling with 6 silver golems. I killed the mage and tried knocking out the golems, but I realized I hadn't told my men to use blunt weapons until one of the golems was killed. After the fight I was able to capture 5 of them (D**n they killed a lot of my party!) and got them to join me from recruitment of prisoners. The last one recently died and I feel it's fitting for my dwarves to be running around with these golems!

Any help or ideas on how to get them is appreciated!
Note: I'm not against taking the wizard's tower if I have to :wink: Never liked the poin'y 'ats 'nyways. If it comes down to taking the Wizards tower do you have any suggestions? Mages saved my life when I defended Bloody Cliff by taking out groups at a time.... I feel assaulting a fortress full of them would be an utter disaster.

SmurfInHell said:
Is it possible to just be highly renowned and on good terms with the Mag. and acquire the golems? I got lucky early on when I found a master mage traveling with 6 silver golems. I killed the mage and tried knocking out the golems, but I realized I hadn't told my men to use blunt weapons until one of the golems was killed. After the fight I was able to capture 5 of them (D**n they killed a lot of my party!) and got them to join me from recruitment of prisoners. The last one recently died and I feel it's fitting for my dwarves to be running around with these golems!

Any help or ideas on how to get them is appreciated!
Note: I'm not against taking the wizard's tower if I have to :wink: Never liked the poin'y 'ats 'nyways. If it comes down to taking the Wizards tower do you have any suggestions? Mages saved my life when I defended Bloody Cliff by taking out groups at a time.... I feel assaulting a fortress full of them would be an utter disaster.
You just need to have a good relationship with the Magocracy (the faction, not the city), that is, you don't need to be part of it. Starting at 10 you'll be able to recruit novice mages and clay golems, if you get it to 25 you'll get iron and silver golems.

Thank you gus, any specific things I can do to help get the 10 relation points? Preferably besides winning their fights?

SmurfInHell said:
Thank you gus, any specific things I can do to help get the 10 relation points? Preferably besides winning their fights?
If you are lucky you can get the rescue mission from a lord (to free another captive lord). That one gives you plenty of points I think.

guspav said:
SmurfInHell said:
If you are lucky you can get the rescue mission from a lord (to free another captive lord). That one gives you plenty of points I think.
You can get faction relation points by rescuing any lord of that faction.  The quest is not necessary.

(This is a suggestion about a race so I think it belongs in this post but I might be wrong :lol:)
In my opinion you should make the demons red, with horns, hooves and tails, and make it so that only the high tiered demon troops are bigger but also have wings which would give them like a short range flying ability (like a simply higher and longer jump, you can take example from the jedi power jump in the Bear Force 2 mod)

I think a decent demon tree would be:

(male tree:smile: Imp -> Hellspawn -> Hell Guard  -> Hell Knight -> Nightmare(found out that name is taken, need to figure out a new one :lol:)
                                                                        ->  Berserker -> Devil
                                                -> Hellhound Rider -> Cerberus(Kerberos) Rider
(female tree:smile: Demoness -> Succubus

Description of each troop:

Demon Imp - 1 handed sword, no armor
Hellspawn - 1 handed sword + shield, no armor
Hell Guard - 1 handed sword + shield, medium armor
Hell Knight - 1 handed sword + big shield, heavy armor (slow walking)
Nightmare - 1 handed sword + shield, very heavy armor (slow walking), all armor looks black and scary (:razz:) and has a 10% chance of causing enemy to flee in terror upon hit
Berserker - bigger sized, 2 handed axe, no armor, has wings with a short fly (higher+longer jump) ability for charging, very high Iron flesh and Powerstrike
Devil - bigger sized, 2 handed axe, little armor, has wings with a short fly (higher+longer jump) ability for charging, extremely high Iron flesh and Powerstrike
Hellhound Rider - 2 handed long sword, rides a mount that looks like a big flaming hound that has higher charge ability
Cerberus(Kerberos) Rider - 2 handed long sword, rides a Cerberus (big 3 headed flaming hound) that has even higher charge skill (maybe even have a fire damaging aura around him as if he's spitting fire out of his heads :razz:)
Demoness - Female demon, 1 handed dagger + Flamearrows
Succubus - Female demon, 1 handed sword + Fire balls and Flamearrows

A demon army's fighting tactic would basically be to send a bunch of riders and berserkers (which are very hard to train) to burst through the enemy's front rows so they can kill the enemy's archers while the lower rank troops charge to keep the defensive troops busy, while the nightmares and the highly armored troops prevent flanks against the female demons which serve as the demon's only ranged troops and have very low health. (being magic users they are better at taking out tanks and highly clustered enemies in front rather than trying to hit the archers behind so Demons have to burst through the enemy's defenses using the riders + berserkers to kill the archers)

A tactic to fight against a Demon army would be to get lots of highly defensive troops with a mix of swords/spears and place them in a few rows to prevent the Berserkers/riders from charging towards the archer (in rows so the succubus will waste their ammo on the first row instead of everyone dying together and so the Berserkers won't be able to jump past all the defensive troops at 1 go) and then trying to push the back row defenders against the chargers while the archers are taking them out (the demon's chargers aren't very well armored, only high health) and trying to get some very fast light cavalry to go around the armored troops and kill the very squishy demon magic throwers

I believe that would be a well balanced faction as they don't have any real good ranged except the Succubus and Demoness which would have a very low amount of magic projectiles with a slow regeneration rate (although very high damage) and are very easy to kill unless protected by other troops

Thank you for reading all that (if you did), congrats on finally getting your own board :grin: and I just have to say this is currently my favorite mod out there!

Great job, LazySteve, I really like that idea, I only suggest making demons only killable, like undeads, so only way to obtain them will be recruiting (and maybe summoning - demonologist class ??). Their top-tier could use some kind of opposite clerics abillity to make living troops flee in fear, with not killing anybody (maybe demonic roar with sound effect ?). Their lords should be varied - first can be big bad guy with dark, burning armor and enormous sword with "demonic roar" ability, very slow but powerful, second can be human sized warlock-demonologist in robe and hood with gigantic power of magic. Demon lords should be really more powerfull than other races lords, but I think everyone knows what it's like in fantasy :wink:

I'm all for the designs by LazySteve. A couple things I feel need a bit of tweaking but for the most part a solid tree! Just my love for clerics and my need for a cleric heal has become absolute. When you are running battles that last long periods of time that heal is a lifesaver for many units.

A good tree, might add a golem like elite unit in my opinion. Sort of a super demon.

Edit.  Should have explained. Mages with lots of golems are still very powerful. Would be nice to have something that could go toe to toe with the golems while the imp tree troops ate the mages. Could build in easy counters to make sure the unit doesn't dominate like golems do.

P.s. I'm especially all for summoning skill and unique demon lords.

Since you are having a hard time with finding space for capitals it would be kinda cool to have the demon faction roam around. You kill(banish) a lord and he pops back up after a month with another army. Only way to stop them permanently is to capture.

I like this but have two issue.
'Nightmare' is in use.
Hellish Hound should be changed to Hellhound.
*Note both of these are cosmetic and therefore have no in-game change :grin:

mercav said:
I like this but have two issue.
'Nightmare' is in use.
Hellish Hound should be changed to Hellhound.
*Note both of these are cosmetic and therefore have no in-game change :grin:
Changed it to Hellhound :razz:
but where is Nightmare already in use?

Barsolden
Every faction will have an elite troop/s, so far only Mages have them - Golems, but in the future every faction will have their champions, possible to recruit only in cities.

Anyway, the name "Nightmare" is good enough to have even two owners :wink: Maybe "Bane" ?

I think Nightmare is the name of the undead mount (at least for the skeleton/zombie/shadow knights and lords).

mercav said:
I think Nightmare is the name of the undead mount (at least for the skeleton/zombie/shadow knights and lords).
Yes, It is a horse.
For female demon spell. Charm person is good to add too. Especially Succubus. 

MasterChaosis said:
Barsolden
Every faction will have an elite troop/s, so far only Mages have them - Golems, but in the future every faction will have their champions, possible to recruit only in cities.

I know everyone has or will have elite units (drow female line seems like it qualifies) and was just pointing out that golems need a hard counter.

Back
Top Bottom