Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Ruan said:
any good reason to support pretenders instead of building our kingdom?

similar to Warband. RP, a different campaign goal, a way to have a kingdom with friendly vassals/king on your side, a way to be a richer vassal while you help build the new kingdom, and so on. It has pros and cons as any gameplay choice for the sandbox mode.

Arnulf Floyd said:
I'm interested if are interesting quests other than Morrigan's Beast

explore the game and you will find mini-events/quests.

for a connected storyline you can play storyline mode (original storyline) and Morrigan`s (shorter storyline from RE, available on sandbox). They are not connected.

I've put a lot of hours into M&B, and VC specifically, but I've never really figured out how to best handle the sally events that happen during sieges. The enemy sallies, kills roughly 5% of my army outright in a auto-calc battle (seemingly ignoring the party's surgery skill), and then I'm given three possible reactions to choose from ('send all men to defend the equipment' 'don't worry, the men will defend it' and 'I will take some men to drive them off'). No matter which I choose, or seemingly no matter the size or composition of my army, the equipment always ends up destroyed and another 5% of my army is killed (again ignoring the party's surgery skill).

Is there a subtle difference between the outcomes of these choices that I'm just unable to notice? Why am I given options when the outcome is always exactly the same?

SocratesOnFire said:
Is there a subtle difference between the outcomes of these choices that I'm just unable to notice? Why am I given options when the outcome is always exactly the same?

You seem to have been getting unlucky, code pasted into a spoiler below. "Do not worry. Our men will guard it." is the only choice with a guaranteed outcome of losing the equipment, the others have 2 or 3 possible outcomes.

"Send some men while I take others to force them to withdraw." has a 1/3 chance of defending the equipment.

"Quickly. Send all men to protect the equipment." has a 5/9 chance of defending the equipment.

BTW, if ever curious about these menu options, they are all in module_game_menus.py, and you can just ctrl f for the dialogue to find anything easily.

Code:
(
    "event_siege_20",menu_text_color(0xFF000000)|mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "The enemy is trying to burn our assault equipment.^^Your casualties: {s8}^^Enemy casualties: {s10}",
    "none",
    [
      (call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 40, "$g_enemy_party", 120, 0, 0),
      (set_background_mesh, "mesh_pic_extra_encuentro"),
    ],
    [
      ("choice_20_1b",[],"Send some men while I take others to force them to withdraw.",
        [
          (store_random_in_range, ":rand", 0, 8),
          (try_begin),
            (le, ":rand", 3),
            (jump_to_menu,"mnu_defendiendo_mal_equip"),
          (else_try),
            (le, ":rand", 5),
            (jump_to_menu,"mnu_no_defendiendo_equip"),
          (else_try),
            (jump_to_menu,"mnu_defendiendo_equip"),
          (try_end),
        ]
      ),
      ("choice_20_2b",[],"Quickly. Send all men to protect the equipment.",
        [
          (store_random_in_range, ":rand", 0, 8),
          (try_begin),
            (le, ":rand", 3),
            (jump_to_menu,"mnu_defendiendo_mal_equip"),
          (else_try),
            (jump_to_menu,"mnu_defendiendo_equip"),
          (try_end),
        ]
      ),
      ("choice_20_3b",[],"Do not worry. Our men will guard it.",
        [
          (jump_to_menu,"mnu_no_defendiendo_equip"),
        ]
      ),
    ]
  ),
  ###ataque a equipamiento de asedio
  (
    "no_defendiendo_equip",menu_text_color(0xFF000000)|mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "The enemy has overcome our defenses and burned down our equipment.^^Your casualties: {s8}^^Enemy casualties: {s10}",
    "none",
    [
      (call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 25, "$g_enemy_party", 100, 0, 0),
    ],
    [
      ("defendiendo_1bnde",[],"We must begin construction again.",
        [
          (assign, "$g_siege_method", 0),
          (assign, "$g_mantlets_1", 0),
          (leave_encounter),
          (jump_to_menu, "mnu_auto_return_to_map"),#phaiak
        ]
      ),
    ]
  ),
  (
    "defendiendo_equip",menu_text_color(0xFF000000)|mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "We have managed to repel the enemy, who returned to the protection of his walls.^^Your casualties: {s8}^^Enemy casualties: {s10}",
    "none",
    [
      (call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 25, "$g_enemy_party", 50, 0, 0),
    ],
    [
      ("defendiendo_1heq",[],"Well done.",
        [
          (leave_encounter),
        ]
      ),
    ]
  ),
  (
    "defendiendo_mal_equip",menu_text_color(0xFF000000)|mnf_disable_all_keys,
    "Another group of enemies has surrounded our positions and burned down our siege equipment on the other side.^^Your casualties: {s8}^^Enemy casualties: {s10}",
    "none",
    [
      (call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 30, "$g_enemy_party", 90, 0, 0),
    ],
    [
      ("defendiendo_1vmal",[],"Damn!",
        [
          (assign, "$g_siege_method", 0),
          (leave_encounter),
        ]
      ),
    ]
  ),

Oh excellent, thank you. I guess I've just been getting unlucky then. Could you explain a bit about the differences in the different 'simulate battle' variables? I assume they alter the outcome of the simulated fight somehow? Looking at this and guessing at their meaning, it looks like the "Do not worry. Our men will guard it." option is the always the worst in both casualties and outcome.

(call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 25, "$g_enemy_party", 100, 0, 0)
vs
(call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 30, "$g_enemy_party", 90, 0, 0)
(call_script, "script_simulate_battle_with_parties", 25, "$g_enemy_party", 50, 0, 0),

I haven't taken the time to understand that script in detail, but here are the script paramters:

Code:
("simulate_battle_with_parties", [
      (store_script_param, ":fraction_player_party_at_risk", 1),
      (store_script_param, ":enemy_party", 2),
      (store_script_param, ":fraction_enemy_party_at_risk", 3),
      (store_script_param, ":ally_party", 4),
      (store_script_param, ":spare_player", 5),

The first number is the fraction of your party in the battle, and the second is the fraction of the enemy party. If you want to look in more detail, it is in module_scripts.py

I'd tend to say "Quickly. Send all men to protect the equipment" based on the chances involved.

A question to people who made twohanded axes. Where can i see both of those axeheads historically? I think ive seen one of them, but the bearded version is unknown to me. It looks like some kind of fantasy axe created by taking various designs from historical axes.

So in short, can i see where from where did you draw your inspiration making that 2 handed bearded axe?

Is there any way to reduce the battle size in VC? Now minimal  battle size is 150. For instance, I want to set 100. How to do this? :idea:

Bonyak said:
Is there any way to reduce the battle size in VC?

not without modding the game (it is not as simple as adjusting the slider). So if you want to learn how then visit the modding section and check the guides from there.

Cheers

Guys, I'm playing the storyline and my main character is a Breton who loves his Celtic people. I chose to give "the letter" to West Seaxe and they made me Lord for my service. Now, West Seaxe is at war with Wales and the King of WS has given me a mission to attack a Welsh castle, called "The Conqueror: "Serving a Cause". My character does not want to do this; does not want to attack his own Celtic brethren. Do I have to do this mission for the story to progress, or will WS and the Welsh eventually make peace and the mission end, or... ??

Um, is it any good? I Have M&B Warband and zero DLC. Fire and Sword nor the Napoleonic version interested me. I am thoroughly bored with Warband single-player. I play plenty of multiplayer which is always fun. Is Vikings worth my while?

Viking Conquest is wonderful if you are interested in:

- Infantry focused warfare

- A setting inspired by a mixture of Viking Age history, the sagas, and folklore

- Interesting storyline campaign (one main quest that will take you all over the world, plus an Irish storyline)

- A variety of interesting new mechanics to shake up the Warband formula: camps, refuges, siege events, wound chance from edged weapons, and on and on

- Naval combat

Arnulf is right that there are many excellent free mods for Warband, but there’s no mod that matches VC for providing the above features—the closest any comes in providing a few of the above is Brytenwalda (which was made by the same team prior to VC) and AWOIF and Age of Arthur (both of which borrow a great deal of code from VC), but none of those mods is nearly as polished and stable as Viking Conquest. And the only free mod that lets you adventure in the Viking Age (Sword and the Axe) has a very different geographic focus (entirely confined to Scandinavia), and lacks VC’s polish and attention to historical atmosphere.

Ultimately, the VC devs have created the pinnacle of a certain kind of Warband experience—if the above described setting and focus appeals to you, then VC will provide you a fresh campaign that is worth every penny.

Quick question
I would love to try out the balance Mod, but the installation description is way to simple for me. Anyone with a more thorough one?
For instance, when i download from moddb, I get one file in my download folder, but I have no idea with what to open it, or where to put it? And where is my VC directory...Sorry but never done this kind of thing before.

Plovkiks said:
I would love to try out the balance Mod, but the installation description is way to simple for me.

Hi Plovkiks:

You need a program like winrar or winzip to open the compressed archive you downloaded (free trial versions at https://www.winzip.com or https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm , just pick one), here are some much more detailed installation instructions at the Nexus forum that include help for finding the Viking Conquest folder: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandbladevikingconquest/mods/5/?tab=forum&topic_id=6778157 I'll make the instructions on the main pages more detailed when I do the next update.

If you have any further difficulties, this thread is intended for questions about the vanilla game only, but the Balance Mod thread is very active and you are more than welcome to join us there and ask any new questions that come up: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,373658.0.html

Back
Top Bottom