Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

kwbudirt said:
It was a long shot but what the heck.

Phaiak said:
And North Sea sight-seeing cruises wont help.

lymond said:
Not sure I saw that quarter camp option.  I'll try to look for it.  I did finally get a nice second ship...actually faster than the free one and holds 55 men, so at least I can start building a larger army now.
It is a big button on your UI "QUARTER", can't miss it  :smile:

lymond said:
kalarhan said:
1) You can destroy your refuge and build a new one in any area (but it will be a level 1 again, so all upgrades will be lost)
2) You have a free quarter option. You can have 2 of these "quarter" camps where you can put troops. Only difference is that they are paid in full (wages)
3) I like to have my refuge on a small island. Close to the sea, protected from bandits and lords and it can have a small port (dock)
4) Kill the troll before he kills you. Serious tho: bring two shields and work on your defense, you will kill him but it is not easy. Throw spears can help a lot if you are good with them.

Thanks...any thoughts on a nice island (area) for that refuge.  Makes a lot of sense.  There's some right outside Ribe but not sure if that should be the best focal point.  I have no idea what the best troops or faction I should focus on in storymode.  (i focus welsh in sandbox but i'm open to anything in storymode).  I did catch somewhere that:

I think as part of the story we will vassal to NorthUmbria at some point

Not sure I saw that quarter camp option.  I'll try to look for it.  I did finally get a nice second ship...actually faster than the free one and holds 55 men, so at least I can start building a larger army now.

Yep..I think I'm resign to just having to bulk up a bit before the Troll.  Just wanted whatever special he has
I make My army out of These troops(christian):
Saxon Spearmen
Pictish Infantry
Pictish Skirmisher
Briton Archer
Frisian Horsemen
Any cavalry
Hornmen
And other rescued prsioners etc.

For pagan:
Norse Infantry
Norse Spearmen
Norse Archer
Finn Archer
Hornmen
And 1 type of cavalry so morale won't go too low
And rescued troops(it might be a problem if they're all christian though)

lymond said:
Thanks...any thoughts on a nice island (area) for that refuge.  Makes a lot of sense.  There's some right outside Ribe but not sure if that should be the best focal point.
In my view, it's typically best to keep your refuge near'ish recruiting centers, so that you can drop off newly recruited troops to be trained without having to travel long distances. Even if you're recruiting exclusively from Norse settlements, I'm not sure that I'd go with Ribe; somewhere nearer to Northymbre is probably a better and more convenient location in that case. I prefer the western parts of modern day England and Wales myself, but then I don't typically use large numbers of pagan troops (perhaps the little island east of the Isle of Man would work out if you wanted to have an island refuge in that area? I've never tried that one myself).

lymond said:
I have no idea what the best troops or faction I should focus on in storymode.  (i focus welsh in sandbox but i'm open to anything in storymode).
To avoid long-windedly rehashing my views on troop balance between the factions (the thread thread I started for that is at: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,338428.msg8035463.html), I'll limit myself to saying that Pictish Axemen are gods among peasants. They're extraordinarily effective for their cost and training-time requirements, and have been amazing in sieges, field battles, and naval engagements. Thor would crap his pants at the sight of an army of Pictish Axemen.

lymond said:
I did catch somewhere that:

I think as part of the story we will vassal to NorthUmbria at some point
There are actually two different options during the story campaign: Northymbre, or West Seaxe.

lymond said:

Yep..I think I'm resign to just having to bulk up a bit before the Troll.  Just wanted whatever special he has
You can have up to two of the troop camps/quarters at any given time, and they can be very helpful in certain situations (quick boat-trips that might otherwise require you to disband some soldiers, for instance). They're hands-down inferior to a refuge/castle/town for long-term "troop storage" though, since you don't get any discount on upkeep costs.

And fighting the troll might be one of the situations where it's actually worth it to strip down to your skivvies; he hits incredibly hard even if you're in heavy armor, and being able to move faster can be pretty handy. Ranged weapons can help a lot, and I'd also suggest going into the fight with a melee weapon that's capable of blocking (swords are great for their durability here)...if the troll was a bit more famous, he'd probably get something like, "the Shield Terrorizer" appended to his name.

If you're planning on being a bandit/pirate then build your refuge somewhere merchant caravans pass through often.

Thanks all...especially for the help on troops.  Yeah,  refuge near Wales sounds good to me.  I am a Briton in game. 

I guess the question begs whether I should focus on buttering up to most of the factions around to get their troops.  Getting to the point of being able to recruit from a given faction takes some time just running around doing little quests.

As mentioned, I'm at the point where I have to go to Ireland to get a book.  My plan is to just hold off on that for a good long time as I build up relations and troops.  But I don't know, maybe I should go ahead and do that quest to keep the story moving.

(I guess I need to get my butt up to Scotland and find some of those Pictish Axemen...haven't even set foot there yet in VC)

On another note, trade has been somewhat disappointing and does not seem in line with some of the advice I've read.  I do have a good bit of gold now though mainly from loot and winning tournaments, which does give a lot of gold with bets.

(oh..and lastly..what is the deal with the tournament prizes.  I won a sword and horse in some tourneys, which was nice. Now all I ever get it is a wreath, whichd doesn't seem to do anything)

lymond said:
As mentioned, I'm at the point where I have to go to Ireland to get a book.

don't worry  that much about the game on storyline. You will have points in the story that will stop you if you are too weak, and then you can do some sideline quests and exploration to improve your army. Play as you like, remember there are many options to reduce difficulty (Camp -> Options) and have fun with the story!

kwbudirt said:
harpred said:
never mind i got peace after 2 days :smile:

another question:

does the amount of butter you get from cows go up the more cows you have (does it "stack")?

and ive had my cows eventually dissapear from my inventory. Whats the cause of this.. do they die or what?

Nope. one cow = max butter
I have had "bessy" for about 1,100 days now. She hasn't gone anywhere. Maybe she left out of udder despair? Maybe she got jealous about the udder cows! :cry:

how long have you been waiting to use that one -_-

What companions should I Use (Christian)

I need a doctor, an extra trainer, someone like Ymira(Low level so you can make them anything), an engineer and the rest of compatible fighters.

PS: A tracker would be pretty sweet though...

pax7788 said:
What companions should I Use (Christian)

I need a doctor, an extra trainer, someone like Ymira(Low level so you can make them anything), an engineer and the rest of compatible fighters.

PS: A tracker would be pretty sweet though...
Tracking is in fact dependent on Intelligence, while Pathfinding and Spotting are reliant on Agility.
My companion list is:

* Donnchadh
* Clovis
* Morgant
* Caio ( Spotting and Pathfinding )
* Asbjorn ( First Aid, Wound Treatment, Surgery and Navigation )
* Bodo
* Ailchu
* Agathinos ( Trade, Engineer, Tracking and Weapon Maintenance )

As a group, having all of them, they are compatible with each other. Go into the Player's Guide -sticky thread, there is a thread linked which lists all compatible parties. There are many other compatible versions, but this one is perfect for me. :>

Caio's location
Travel to the Hadrians Wall to find Caio.

Is there any way I can change a troops' stats, or just look at them? Because Morgh's Tools and the Troop Editor doesn't seem to be able to edit VC Companions and Bandits :sad:

erennuman_mb said:
Is there any way I can change a troops' stats, or just look at them? Because Morgh's Tools and the Troop Editor doesn't seem to be able to edit VC Companions and Bandits :sad:

faction troops and bandits you can see the stats ingame using the Troop Tree (Camp).
If you enable edit/cheat mode you can see all troops in the game using the Character Screen

To change them: using Morghs and similar you will need to start a new game. To edit current characters you can use MnbSaveGameEditor

erennuman_mb said:

You can look at them through the camp troop-tree feature, and then compare with the troops.txt file to see what number equates to what stats and change it there.  Remember stat changes aren't save compatible.

MB Barracks is a good program for comparing troops if it works for you.

Okay I've searched for an answer to this question, but no luck so here goes.  Can anyone list the benefits of the VC book merchants books? Some are familiar  from native but it's been a long time.

Quick question: How to do the village quest about finding a run-away slave? Been searching around the village but to no avail.
Thanks! :grin:
Also how to acquire dog companion?

The slave isn't in the village, he's in a little hideout (like a bandit one) on the world map. Just walk around the village and you should see it.

The dog is in villages, talk to the elder to see if there's a stray one in that village. Also you need sausages to recruit him.

Are the peasant rebellions when collecting taxes suppose to happen so frequently?  It's crazy, this last time it happened every time I took one money, get money, fight peasants, get money, fight peasants.  The longest time between having to fight has only been 4 collections.

AlphaOmega said:
Are the peasant rebellions when collecting taxes suppose to happen so frequently?  It's crazy, this last time it happened every time I took one money, get money, fight peasants, get money, fight peasants.  The longest time between having to fight has only been 4 collections.
It depends on soemthing but I don't know what it is, it might be your army strength, your strength etc.

AlphaOmega said:
I had that happen to me once as well. It was weird, but I've not been able to reproduce it. :/

Back
Top Bottom