Quests are for early game only so there should be less focus on it

There are more than enough quests

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I kinda agreed while mostly disagreed. My take is they do fit in and have a place, but not feeling very organic and only interact with player action. I do get a bit of their vision around this, if I am feeling right these two parts of the game is a little too separated.

I'd rather have different stages for the game, so yes, that means more quests. The problem with quests is a lack of proper structure. They should be locked behind renown/clan tiers just like workshops are. (right now you can still ask a lord to do a quest for him but he says you are too low renown. I'd like if the quest wouldn't show at all in the first place).

So with different requirements, there would have to be more quests. You can make the exclamation mark different colors, too. (Orange! = legendary quests for clan tier 5-6, purple! = difficult/epic quests for clan tiers 3-4, green! = medium quests, can do them beginning at clan tier 1-2, and blue! = beginner quests and can do them at clan tier 0, so from the very beginning). Their rewards and difficulty would of course increase based on the tier they are at, there would be different types of quests for each tier.

The game should in my opinion have more rpg features. Better polished mini-games as well. The more things to do in the game = the better, but we just need a better structure for them overall like I mentioned here, because if you just create more and more quests then the sentiment can be like yours: "don't need more of them". If they actually had a better and more clear purpose at every stage of the game, they would be a lot more enjoyable.

Tournaments should also present difficulties based on clan tier just like the quests, because they present the same problem. Why do tournaments in mid/late game? If we had at least 3 tiers of tournament difficulties, there would be a different story. Tier 1-2 = easy combatants (blue color), tier 3-4 = medium (green), and tier 5-6 = challenging (orange or red). Again, more challenging (both armor-wise and skills), more fun, better rewards. I thought of not including the possibility of entering tournaments at tier 0 because then people just jump on farming tournaments, and I think a slower/more immersive/peasant start would make more sense. Like, at least be known a little before being accepted in a tournament. Reworking the arena, or making the arena "a tournament" in itself (so basically removing it from the game), would put it at clan tier 0 and I'd be happy with that. Right now there is literally no purpose for the arena - you make no money, you train skills way too slowly, it's useless... Make it like a tournament in itself where people come and watch you like you're gladiators killing each other, and increase exp gain and also monetary gain (500 for winning, then 1000 for tier 1-2, 2000 for the tier 3-4 tournament, and 4000 for the challenging 5-6 tier, this is just an example and can be adjusted as developers wish.
I think this is a brilliant idea, and I'd love to see this come to life!

Why shouldn't it be an RPG? And since when have Mount and Blade games not included RPG elements?

That's a lot of why I'm such a fan of the franchise.

As to quests being only early-game, I actually tend to hit them more later in the game. One of the great things about Bannerlord is you can play it in a lot of different ways -- and maybe it's better if it can be played in more than just 'your' way. :wink:

If they want more quests, they should gear them towards late game.

The player is in a clan in a large kingdom and part of armies with hundreds of troops, if not well over a thousand and engaged in frequent wars.

The quests need to have clan wide effects. For faction leaders (ex: if the player is the faction leader), kingdom wide impacts.

it's always amazed me that quests do not lead to great rewards of money or weapons or armour. I mean, isn't that the whole point of a fantasy medieval quest? No what do we get, some RAW MEAT!

Is it this hard to make something compelling? Do this hard quest, get a cool shiny sword! Rescue a princess, get married. I dunno, there;s plenty of better ways to do quests. Whoever comes up with this sheep herding stuff must have the lamest imagination ever.

I actually tried a run without using smithing at all (also didn't trade very much), and was surprised to find that I made a pretty large amount of money from quests. They seem to scale as the game progresses. I get like 20k denars for giving a bunch of bandits to villagers, and there are also other quests which net me a profit of around 6-7k denars each. They are not that terrible for mid-game. But yeah, very late in the game you don't need them as much, since you have settlements producing money as well as workshops and caravans..

Why shouldn't it be an RPG? And since when have Mount and Blade games not included RPG elements?

That's a lot of why I'm such a fan of the franchise.

As to quests being only early-game, I actually tend to hit them more later in the game. One of the great things about Bannerlord is you can play it in a lot of different ways -- and maybe it's better if it can be played in more than just 'your' way. :wink:
The original M&B and Warband were very light on rpg elements. VC had a lot but that was made by Brytenwalda so I don't feel like rpg elements are really a strength for TW. That being said TW really needs to expand this game somehow because just copy/paste WB with a fresh coat of paint really doesn't get it. I don't care if TW adds rpg elements but they need some kind of content because this game has nothing to it once you get past the first few hours.

The original M&B and Warband were very light on rpg elements. VC had a lot but that was made by Brytenwalda so I don't feel like rpg elements are really a strength for TW. That being said TW really needs to expand this game somehow because just copy/paste WB with a fresh coat of paint really doesn't get it. I don't care if TW adds rpg elements but they need some kind of content because this game has nothing to it once you get past the first few hours.
copy paste of WB but with new graphics would have been awesome to be honest, but what we have now is an incomplete version of WB, not copy-paste.

copy paste of WB but with new graphics would have been awesome to be honest, but what we have now is an incomplete version of WB, not copy-paste.
That's a good place to start but they need to do something different/more than they did. The company has grown significantly since it's inception and just making a pretty game isn't going to cut it with most fans because a bigger staff and budget means they should be trying to do something else or add some kind of meaningful content. If not for the sake of this game then for TWs future games. Fans won't buy new sequels if they think new stuff isn't going to be added.

Like others have said, while quest rewards do scale (in terms of reward size) over time, they need to scale in the type of reward.

Current state example (numbers are made up, just an example):
  • Clan tier 1 reward: 1000 gold
  • Clan tier 4 reward: 6000 gold
vs. rewards scaling with what the player needs
  • Clan tier 1 reward: 1000 gold
  • Possible Clan tier 4 rewards...
    • Temporary boost to food production in a city.
    • Free Workshop
    • Remove negative affects on a Town from a recent pillage
    • Hurt/Help relations between two clans
    • Weaken an enemy garrison temporarily (e.i. 20% of garrison becomes wounded)
There are so many intriguing possibilities for the player to interact with the sandbox world through quests. They just need to be implemented :smile:

The original M&B and Warband were very light on rpg elements. VC had a lot but that was made by Brytenwalda so I don't feel like rpg elements are really a strength for TW. That being said TW really needs to expand this game somehow because just copy/paste WB with a fresh coat of paint really doesn't get it. I don't care if TW adds rpg elements but they need some kind of content because this game has nothing to it once you get past the first few hours.W
Warband was very much a sandbox RPG. I'm not sure what metric you're using to decide what is and is not a Role-Playing Game. I can't honestly imagine how you're ruling out Warband this way.

it's always amazed me that quests do not lead to great rewards of money or weapons or armour. I mean, isn't that the whole point of a fantasy medieval quest? No what do we get, some RAW MEAT!

Is it this hard to make something compelling? Do this hard quest, get a cool shiny sword! Rescue a princess, get married. I dunno, there;s plenty of better ways to do quests. Whoever comes up with this sheep herding stuff must have the lamest imagination ever.
I don't really want to see quests like that. I like the more realistic questing system the Mount and Blade games have going for them, the fact that the quests simply add story elements that can actually fit just about any style you happen to be playing.

I'd like to see more 'job'-like quests, as well as quests relating to running a clan, a kingdom, and towns. I think it would take away from the game a bit to have too many story-type quests -- it's like this main 'Bannerlord' storyline quest...I don't really ever get into it, and it always sort of takes away or at least distracts from my own story.

Please show me where I said that it was not a role playing game.
I never said you made that claim. I quoted you, so I don't know why it needs to be clarified, but I'm responding to your claim that it was "very light on rpg elements."

I don't really want to see quests like that. I like the more realistic questing system the Mount and Blade games have going for them, the fact that the quests simply add story elements that can actually fit just about any style you happen to be playing.

I'd like to see more 'job'-like quests, as well as quests relating to running a clan, a kingdom, and towns. I think it would take away from the game a bit to have too many story-type quests -- it's like this main 'Bannerlord' storyline quest...I don't really ever get into it, and it always sort of takes away or at least distracts from my own story.

the quests they have now are completely boring, offer crappy rewards and there's no reason to do them. But I wouldn't say anything about them distracts from my experience, I just don't do them. Quests can be realistic while still be a lot more compelling than what they have now. They are completely dull in every way. If your job type suggestion is any better I'd gladly hear an example. How about collecting supplies that massively expedites town upgrades? That would be a simple one, if somewhat uninspired.

the quests they have now are completely boring, offer crappy rewards and there's no reason to do them. But I wouldn't say anything about them distracts from my experience, I just don't do them. Quests can be realistic while still be a lot more compelling than what they have now. They are completely dull in every way. If your job type suggestion is any better I'd gladly hear an example. How about collecting supplies that massively expedites town upgrades? That would be a simple one, if somewhat uninspired.
I wouldn't do them if there wasn't a point to it. I don't need them to be the central source for excitement, only to add a little flavour. Mostly I do them to improve my recruiting abilities, but I enjoy them regardless.

Don't you think more diversity in the quests would improve on that you're finding them boring?

I never said you made that claim. I quoted you, so I don't know why it needs to be clarified, but I'm responding to your claim that it was "very light on rpg elements."
Where in that statement did I say it wasn't an rpg? I don't usually get upset but when people out right lie about what I say that pisses me off. M&B games made by Taleworlds were very light on rpg elements =/= there weren't any if you can't read or comprehend that is your problem not mine. I'm done responding to you because I don't like talking to people who try to twist words to prove a point.

Where in that statement did I say it wasn't an rpg? I don't usually get upset but when people out right lie about what I say that pisses me off. M&B games made by Taleworlds were very light on rpg elements =/= there weren't any if you can't read or comprehend that is your problem not mine. I'm done responding to you because I don't like talking to people who try to twist words to prove a point.
You said it was "very light on rpg elements" and I disagreed with you.... If you are still having trouble understanding my meaning, understand it in this context. I know you didn't say it was not an rpg at all, and I never insinuated that you did. Weird.

Boring is subjective (and many are a bit grindy), but some have very decent rewards at various stages of the game (often for doing basic stuff you were going to do anyway) - and there are certainly reasons to do them - increase your recruitment slots with a given notable and maintain power of elite-troop notables.

Back
Top Bottom