Questions regarding POP Options / Suggestions so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance I just wanted to get some insight into the PoP Options and throw in some of my suggestions for future updates.

Let's start with the questions:

Questions

1) Is the Horse Archer AI option considered full functioning currently or is still in development?
  a) Regardless of the current state of development, are there a list of units that follow this AI setup?

----The reason I ask is because units that follow the Maiden Cavalry / Ranger / Adventurer line don't seem to follow this AI even though they are armed with Xbows. However, enemy units such as Rogue Knights do. The differences being Rogue Knights can have lances and a bow and will often kite other units as expected, however Maiden units will neglect their xbows most of the time and just charge straight in with lightly armored horses and a sword. Of course the player can indeed lead them around the battle field and force them to use their ranged weaponry but this seems to defeat the purpose of having the AI for all units (in my opinion).----

b) If the horse archer AI is considered finished it may be an idea to look at the adaptive setting for map size, if this can be changed at all. The small maps basically counter the horse archer AI entirely if the player sets up on a hill near the spawning location as the enemy archers will just run into the edge of map with no where to go, making them easy targets. I'm not sure if this can be changed in the coding for Warband but if possible removing the small map for armies that include horse archer units may be a solution but if this isn't possible it may be an idea to add some text in the menu telling the player that small map sizes will cause Horse Archer AI to suffer a bit.

2) Is there a way remove the predesignated positions for units?

3) Is there a file in the Pendor folder that holds the POP Options that can be changed to make certain options a default for new games?

4) Is Disable Troop Routing functioning correctly?

----I have started several games in order to play test certain scenarios and starting situations to find my personal preference for a play through and not seen a single unit route even though the option to route has not been disabled.----

Suggestions

*Note that these are only things I would personally like to see added and I am fully aware that many of these if not all require permission from their original owners or may not even be compatible with what Pendor currently has. I also understand that these have likely already been mentioned before so please excuse me if there is a big bold post telling me what an idiot I am for not reading that instead.*

1) Better faction relations window.
  ----There are mods out there that have a faction relations tree that shows each of the major factions and who they are at war with. Basically just gives more information than the basic faction relation window.----

2) Minor Factions added to the Troop Tree.
  ----By minor factions I mean units such as Brigands, the Vanskery, etc. These units can already have their stats and such viewed in game by rescuing them from being imprisoned, so it just seems like an unnecessary task to have to find one just to see their stats when every other unit can be viewed via the Troop Tree. It's a minor suggestion but it's definitely nice to have when you just want to compare your units to potential leveling fodder.----

3) More ways to gain honor.
  ----I am aware that the way honor is gained and lost is probably in the game for balancing purposes. I am also aware that more methods to both gain and lose honor are on the way but I still feel this is a worthwhile suggestion. Currently doing any type of war activity such as raiding villages and caravans cause honor loss. This is a touchy subject as many players dislike this and others argue that it fits with the story of the mod and I agree with both sides. However currently balancing honor gain and loss is pretty hard in the early game until you can start capturing and releasing lords so perhaps on the contrary if raiding a village causes you to lose honor then helping villagers (and/or villages) fight bandits and the like should at least net you a small amount (like literally 1) of honor. This way you can at least balance out weakening your enemy by raiding caravans villages by in turn helping your villagers and caravans in that need it on the world map.----

For now this is all I have but I will add more should more come to mind.

The "Horse Archer AI" will work only on ... well ... horse archers. Mounted warriors with bows. Only.

It doesn't work on mounted units with thrown weapon as ammo count and range too low to bother (stress CPU even harder).
It doesn't work on mounted units with crossbows as it has very negative effect on the kill count for this type of soldiers - performance of the best xbow "allowed to use when mounted" is too low. It is much more productive when mounted xbowmen just shoot few times and switch to melee. Much more.

The dps drops as well heavily, as they trade precision for safety. From my testing (and a couple of youtubers) I've seen that they do indeed play way safer until they ran out of ammo, but because they do keep always x distance with the enemy, arrows do more rarely hit, as its harder to hit a shot on a target that is 50m away than if he is 20m away.

If your horse archers are overall mediocre (worse quality than your foot ones), disable it , as else they will barely hit and they will expose the more valuable foot troops.
If its your horse archers the overall better troops in your army (lets say you have a bunch of Noldor mounted troops), then enable it. Their accuracy will be noticed less on these and they will kite with better results enemies and proyectiles (faster horses means harder to hit and chase), whilst also providing some extra safety on these highly valuable troops.

Thats what i do suggest about this new feature

zaji1911 said:
k0nr@d said:
It is much more productive when mounted xbowmen just shoot few times and switch to melee. Much more.
So what you're saying is, it's better if mounted crossbowmen don't use crossbows
Yes, if they have some armour.

As for mounted archers - roughly speaking units at level >=30 should benefit. Noldors are not required.

Thanks for the replies dudes.

I suppose dismounting my maiden units was the right course of action in this case. It seemed better than just charging them in so that's what I started doing in previous games.

Dismounting is not needed:
- if AI script would work with xbow, then they will run away and shoot until ammo is 0,
- standard behaviour: they charge, do melee, if survive run and start shooting and bit of melee.
Mounted xbows are not good for those prolonged shooting times. Standard behaviour for them is quite good.

Came here to find out what Disable "Troop Routing" means, and I'm still ignorant. Google is no help, so that means I'm the only fool on the planet who doesn't know. Pity the fool.

Came here to find out what Disable "Troop Routing" means, and I'm still ignorant. Google is no help, so that means I'm the only fool on the planet who doesn't know. Pity the fool.
I think troops (both yours or your enemies) can run from battle when nearly defeated or on low moral. You have the option to disable this natural behaviour. In standard warband some units might run away from battle, you can continue to chase and try to catch them. That's what routing is i believe. For short questions with potential short answers some people here will ask you to post them in the short questions thread :smile: .

Last edited:
Thanks for that very-good explanation. I always hated how half my troops will stop the fight to go chase down some militia guy running for his life, like he was public enemy number one.

For short questions with potential short answers some people here will ask you to post them in the short questions thread :smile: .
Ok, but "Disable Troop Routing" is part of the OP, so ti wasn't actually a new question from me.... exactly. Hmm. Ok, kinda.

Back
Top Bottom