Questions on the command menu - and some feedback for usability.

Users who are viewing this thread

So, Battlefield has something called the Commorose:
commo_rose_1319141071.png

I've played for a bit with the new radial menu and at first I was really excited by it, as I thought it would function in the same way as it does in the BF games (hold Q then use relative mouse movement to flick your cursor to what you want, and press click - e.g. to call out an ammo request. you'd hold Q, flick your mouse down/right and press LMB in battlefield). This is extremely useful in a fast paced FPS - and would also be in battles in BL where you can sometimes get lost in nested menus.

But in practice, in Bannerlord, its just a circular UI element and is still 100% Hotkey driven?
I can't actually get the mouse to work with it when I pull it up, has anyone been able to get the mouse to work with it?

Also the use of multiple, nested rings [you cant intuitively cycle between Order/Formation/Toggle, in the current setup] makes the system rather confusing.
5nzmEwF.png

Having both "F2" over "Follow me" and over "Line" is poor UI design IMO, more than once i've looked at formation in a hurry, trying to change unit formation, only to pull all my units out of position to follow me, for example, leading to a massacre.
Line and toggle should not show their hotkeys if they are in-active UI elements.

IMO I'd like to see a few changes to the system as it's currently some weird UI hybrid of the old top row menu and a radial menu, to make it a fully mouse driven alternative.
  1. The system might be more intuitive if the "Formation" and "Toggle" menus were rolled into the primary ring as 2 buttons in the middle.
    • The return button would close the command menu (if you have the UI set to open when pressing, rather than holding a key)
    • When entering the formation or Toggle menus, the initial ring (with fallback etc) would be hidden, showing those sub-menus instead, return button in those sub-rings would take you back to the "main" ring (the one in above picture).
  2. The mouse wheel should be a quick alternative to cycle through unit divisions.
    • e.g. if I have 3 infantry blocks 1 archer block and 1 cavalry, scrolling up/down on the mouswheel should let me cycle through all of them -
    • When I get to the end of the unit list (i.e. after the cavalry, it would highlight all units, scrolling again would take me back to the first infantry unit, scrolling back from the first unit would highlight all units again)
    • pressing number keys 1-0 (or Shift-pressing for specific units) should still be a backup
So you'd hold (or press) X to bring up the command ring,
then using your cursor [which would use relative movement to highlight a button] you would flick to what you want to press, pressing LMB, or some other defined key (e.g. X again). Quick/dbl pressing X could close the whole menu down in a hurry if you need to.

I think with the above changes this would make the radial system into a good "mouse-centric" (i.e. not just for gamepads) alternative control scheme to the "keyboard-centric" top row.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom