Questions about effectiveness of bards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Epicspencer

Recruit
Alright, since I have recently found out that bards have a chance to get groupies when they preform, I basically. want to make a celebrity who unites the world in music. Obviously I'll start as a bard, but I will get a holy symbol as soon as possible to make him actually good near a battlefield. I would like to know, however, what exactly detrimes the spawn rate of groupies, if there are any races that don't spawn groupies, and any advice you guys have would be well appreciated. :mrgreen:

I think Groupies are tied to your Entertain/Persuade skill, rather than what class you are. My Elf Ranger gets Groupies sometimes.It's the Top positive reaction to you playing music, but I think you can only get them at Hard or above.

I guess. Also, they don't join your party, they are a separate party that follows you around, and - from my experience- disappears when you ask them to do something.

It's the easy way to get elf and drow females in droves without being a lord/lady of either of those kingdoms.
Normally you'd need to boost faction first to pull that off.  Also you have a small chance for groupies to give you
extremely expensive rare items, like a flaming sword or mithril armor.  Once they've done that they didnt seem to offer it a second time to the same char, but it was an unexpected boost early on.  It seems theres a status cap on huge gifts, after which they complain "what could we offer to a famous person like you" by way of explanation.  I wish the source were available to make the spouse as companion submod merges; I managed to do it for gekokujo and phantasy would be nice with that.  Otherwise its a nice mod altogether, even if I detest liches as players, which to me is disgusting anyone would accept such a "role play".

Generally as a player I see no reason why you shouldnt let bard give you cash, then use that to buy your holy symbol OR spell book and work your way through either or BOTH categories.  Players can switch spells to healing and back again during the same battle, which is highly convenient for healing up troops and companions )and self) after battle, before tabbing to exit.

gsanders said:
I wish the source were available to make the spouse as companion submod merges; I managed to do it for gekokujo and phantasy would be nice with that.

You mean this? http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,162477.0.html

Teggs said:
gsanders said:
I wish the source were available to make the spouse as companion submod merges; I managed to do it for gekokujo and phantasy would be nice with that.

You mean this? http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,162477.0.html

thats an attempt to tweak the non-source .txt files; a heavily changed  module_dialogs.py  file may have different insertion points.  The one time I've done it was a set of changes to the module_dialogs.py file
and then running the compile module batch to make fresh .txt files, which then get copied over the original
distributed txt files that came with the module, in this case "phantasy". 

At the risk this became a thread hijacking, I meant THIS

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,171729.0.html

The link you have tries to modify the already compiled .txt files for generic warband; I was hoping to be able
to more cleanly see it implemented without side effects if the source was heavily changed from standard, which I'd suspect given the stated difficulty in merging diplomacy sub-mod (which is rather large anyway).

If anyone wants to see the "before" and "after" implementation as in the only source mod I have available (Gekukoju, which the author graciously includes the source with the mod download), then its a pretty small file (at most 1.2 MB uncompressed) the  module_dialogs.py    it'd easily fit as a mail attachment.  The process of compiling a module, if you ever do it even once, is pretty simple.  I blew two days learning it because I'm dense, but actually merging the open source for that with the already provided source took about a day and a half, and an experienced coder would have done it in 2 hours tops.  I ended up doing only 1 paragraph changes, stop, save the .py, leave an untouched module_dialogs.py by a new name, and compile and test with a save that had a char and a wife at her father's castle to instantly see whether changes took, made a new side effect (especially look at the steward of your castle and the kidnapped girl quest of the townsman merchants, as
they have similar dialog states).  Anyway, its a small enough project, but well worth the effort.

if anyone wants the modded  module_dialogs.py  just ask:    [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom