Question to disable the random variety of weapons on army

Users who are viewing this thread

Only swords and maces. No axes on them ever. Not really seeing the issue though, considering the sort of enemies the Empire goes up against- themselves.

I think its not at all a big deal. Some factions can be more standardised than others, but the Empire is by far the most uniform. Mace or sword makes no difference. And recruits having a random assortment of weapons sounds about right, considering what they are.
Maybe... but, to me a pitchfork or schythe or sickle should be peasant and not recruits... Recruits mean you agree to enlist in the army, so you get army weapons, right? If the unit called peasants then yes, I'd totally agree.. Even the the most raw recruit back then got swords, at the training was double weight wooden sword for builidng up muscles, but still, the quartermaster gve them their real weapons after it

Maybe... but, to me a pitchfork or schythe or sickle should be peasant and not recruits... Recruits mean you agree to enlist in the army, so you get army weapons, right? If the unit called peasants then yes, I'd totally agree.. Even the the most raw recruit back then got swords, at the training was double weight wooden sword for builidng up muscles, but still, the quartermaster gve them their real weapons after it
To me, recruits are just eager peasants that you've picked up from a village. No training, no induction and no outfitting or anything. The only time you send them to fight anything other than looters is in an emergency, or if you're especially mean. Only at t2 are they even remotely ready for real fighting.

That being said, the training system right now doesn't reflect this. Back in Warband, you could turn basic recruits into a something usable after a day. Here in BL, you have send your lads straight into the grinder.

I sent my lads straight to the grindr but it hasnt worked as a recruiting tool like I had hoped. They dont bring back any strapping young soldiers, just STDs and a lack of commitment.

For me there are a few reasons to change things up.

With recruits we players can manage armies fine - train recruits on looters during peace, store them in a garrison when higher ready for war. But it’s disappointing when you think a great battle is incoming only for 70% of the AI army to be recruits in a bit of cloth and a pitchfork.

Another thing is lack of varietyin vanilla units. Sure, some armours look different, but many of the infantry are 1h+spear with a throwing weapon at the top tier and essentially play the same. Editing the units allows a bit of faction focus (I gave all Sturgians axes, Vlandians heavy on maces, Empire focused on sword ‘n shield and so on).

I have Battania infantry using a mix of sword, spear and axe but only 1 weapon per set to avoid the constant weapon switching when cavalry move around which can get troops killed faster. Having them on the field with a mix of weapons adds to their feel of being less regimented.

I also have most faction recruits set to use a mix of weapons but I did add a shield to most to help the AI against archers a little.

I also reduce the tier of melee weapons given to archers and reduce their skill for that, so infantry are stronger in combat.

For me it’s letting me change things about the way I like as I’m not locking myself into an approach of “this is supposed to be this historical era so everything must match that.”.

I get what the OP is saying and I don't necessarily disagree. The way I justify it is more than 1 npc will tell you that the empire armies went from being a professional standing army employed by the empire to being one that is now run by the local lords. To me that makes sense to have varying equipment because the lord buys whatever they can find/afford.

Back
Top Bottom