Question Regarding Corners and seperating a Mesh

Users who are viewing this thread

So as I am quite new to 3D moddeling I have some questions:

The first one is: Is there any way to smooth corners in Blender without destroying the topology?

When I created this mesh (1.st spoiler) I tried to stay low poly. This final mesh has about 400 Quads /800 Polis.
I painstakenly created this mesh with quads only.
Looking at the render, you can still see a lot of sharp edges, especially on the edges below the chin on the level of the temple.
In the final render, you can see here, the mesh is already shaded smooth.

Of course I could just subdivide the whole mesh, but then it wouldn't be really that low poly anymore. ( and it I am pretty sure it would **** up some other parts of the mesh)

So in detail what I'd like to know is:1. What happens if I add some bad geometry around these edges to add detail? As the helmet itself shouldn't get deformed by animations in the final game it shoouldn't be to bad. (right?)

2. If I were to seperate the helmet in different parts (which I didn't do except for the nail heads) (see spoiler two) but keep everything in palce as in the original render, what happens when I put this mesh into the game? Is it going to look just like the render? Afterall it's not getting deformed by animations.

So my idea would be, to add additional loopcuts to the faceguard / green mesh in spoiler two. If I'd try to add loopcuts to the original mesh, I get too many new quads as it also effects the ring, the upper part of the helmet and the reinforcement strips.

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Additionaly: Yeah I know the texture definitely needs some work. I'll have to look into that.

UCB9M.png
UfFsh.png

Solution
@Dudese if you want to make high-quality models for the game, in any case, you need to learn how to bake normal, ambient oclussion maps, etc.
At polycount everything seems more or less, but I would like to see the grid.
In any case, you need to add chamfers to the edges, which is now completely unsuitable.
If you load the meshes separately (without stitching them), then everything will be ok.
For such an asset, a 1024x1024 texture is more than enough (provided that UV mapping is adequate).
Unfortunately, I do not work in Blender, so I can’t say anything about how the toolkit is arranged in it (but somehow people usually use chamfers).
Recommended this channel (his have many useful tips)...
@Dudese if you want to make high-quality models for the game, in any case, you need to learn how to bake normal, ambient oclussion maps, etc.
At polycount everything seems more or less, but I would like to see the grid.
In any case, you need to add chamfers to the edges, which is now completely unsuitable.
If you load the meshes separately (without stitching them), then everything will be ok.
For such an asset, a 1024x1024 texture is more than enough (provided that UV mapping is adequate).
Unfortunately, I do not work in Blender, so I can’t say anything about how the toolkit is arranged in it (but somehow people usually use chamfers).
Recommended this channel (his have many useful tips) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw

Upvote 0
Solution
You may edit normals even in openbrf. You may import the separate parts if you want so and calculate normals separately, otherwise it will compute normals to the whole model.

Upvote 0
Damn both answers were pretty good and will help me in the future. I will try to stick with blender though. I already that's the program I am already used to.

@Fddd
Here is the gridview of my low poly mesh.Figured it doesn't make much sense to show the high poly one :grin: I hope that's what you were interested in.
I worked with normal maps before, but on Blender it's quite unwieldy to bake them. Atleast for me.

I guess I will rework the faceguard a little. And I will try to add more detail with the textures.

rcR35.png

QnCfp.png

Upvote 0
You can use PS to make normal map, there is a plugin which is for photoshop can convert the diffuse map to normal map
And you can also use 3dsmax to bake the ambient oclussion map

If you want your model more realistic, you can use Substance Painter to draw the texture.

Upvote 0
You can use PS to make normal map, there is a plugin which is for photoshop can convert the diffuse map to normal map
And you can also use 3dsmax to bake the ambient oclussion map
If you want your model more realistic, you can use Substance Painter to draw the texture.

Is better to immediately study modern software (which is the standard for the industry (no wings3d, normal creations in ps, etc.).
Yes, Substance Painter or Quixel Suite (although it is no longer being updated, you can still use it in conjunction with Photoshop, it’s convenient for you). I would also recommend studying Substance Designer to create your own materials.

Now, about your work.
First, you can bake maps in Painter or Marmoset (some still use Xnormal), but for beginner i recommended do it inside Substance Painter. Dont forget the main things:
- Only shape-forming geometry (no extra geometry, only if it helping with bake or you need convey some details that cannot be baked to normal),
- Hard edges on UV border (max smooth groups),
- Straighten the UV shells as much as possible (usually using uvlayout for such things)
8.jpg
Read, this is a very good article (unfortunately only in Russian, but he has a course in English) https://teletype.in/@3dpapa/rySSqWjlU
Not such a great example, but if i would do a similar thing i would try to stick to a similar topology (the main thing is to try to use as few polygons (but without fanaticism).
sLcbqrS.png
and no pentagons, only quads and tris.
Up. From Metro Exodus
eugene-gottsnake-helmet-02-bake.jpg
Abother one
marton-attila-wireframe.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom