Question 'bout Memory and Stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, so the situation is that I am going to be upgrading my PC to Windows 7, and will probably be going for 64bit Ultimate because why not (if someone has a good reason why not, post it :razz:), so it would mean that I should probably upgrade the RAM a little as well, just so that I'm making the most of it. Now, From what I've seen in my searchings, the largest size it seems to come in is 4GB per stick, though I am wondering if there are modules that actually have more per piece, as it were, since with 4GB ones I can max out at 16GB if I so choose to do so, but want to see if I can get just a little bit more. Just for ****s and giggles, this is my motherboard
Asus_M4A79XTD_EVO.jpg

In short, can RAM sticks come in sizes over 4GB?

Depending on what you're paying for Windows 7, I'd double check that you need whatever extra bells/whistles Ultimate includes and that it is worth the extra money. I'm perfectly happy with Professional x64 for your standard academic/statistics computing and the bit of gaming I do, and when I bought the Win 7 upgrade the price was the same between "Home" and "Professional" but there was a bit of a jump up to Ultimate for what I thought would be little actual gain.

And what they said, 8GB sticks are expensive. Your mobo looks like it should be able to take the fastest 4GB sticks though DDR3, 1800Mhz, from what I could tell in a quick Google.

Aye, 4Gb tends to be the limit for common sticks, at least as far as cost:availability:performance goes. Most >16GB setups come from triple channel sets, which tend to have 6 slots. I myself use 3 * 2GB sticks, and they work rather nicely for me. May get a second set after I get a new case/SSD.

I recently went from 768mb of ram on xp to 3GB of ram on Vista (4GB installed by only 32 bit :mad:) and the difference is, er hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom