Question about modifiers and what they mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Hogweed

Recruit
Hi,

just started playing M & B again, I never had fully understood much of the game, and am currently working to grasp all the great things about it and play a game to its fullest!

My question is about how modifiers work. Did a lot of reading, mostly they say its +4 or -3 etc... but I cant find anywhere what that means. What exactly does the + or - number do?

Also, I am very confused about choosing something because its abilities and prices vary. For instance, I was trying to pick the best shirt I could find, from the choices below, which one is the better shirt?

Leather Jerkin                      Tattered Padding Leather
  $321                                      $227
+ 23 Body                            +24 Body
  +6  Leg                                +7 leg

So the leather jerkin is worth much more, but the tattered padding offers more protection?  Should I just go and take the one that costs more, since I do suspect there are hidden modifiers in there that would make the Leather jerkin protect better?

Same with a mail Shirt and a Byrnie, the byrnie had a lot better protection in numbers, but the mail shirt cost  a lot more.

Appreciate any help with the bast way to deal with this!  :grin:

This is a list of all modifiers and what they do.

Bad modifiers do not automatically mean one item is inferior to another, and a weak Lordly item may have very low stats but be just as expensive as plate armor. The stats and price are all that matter. In this case, despite the very bad modifier, padded leather's base stats are high enough that it is still the better option to the jerkin, and cheaper.

Hi Nemo,

Thank you for the update. I had read that page and a lot of others, and they really didn't answer my question. So it seems that all the modifiers from the 1st part of an items description,  like tattered, lordly, etc, are reflected in the price and stats that show right on the item. So there are no "hidden" bonus's that I need to factor, just choose the item based on its shown armor value(for armor), or its punching power for weapons, etc..

Ill keep an eye on this thread, to see if there is anything else I need to know, but thanks for helping with that!

Here is a link at an old Warband site that sums it all up: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount&Blade/Weapons

Back
Top Bottom