Question about kingdom reinforcements and lords' troop upgrades

Users who are viewing this thread

From searching for and reading the few threads on the subjects I gather that the AI lords do not benefit from their training skill but their troops do upgrade themselves after battle. Can anyone confirm for sure that is correct?

Also I am wondering if anyone knows how the AI chooses the upgrade. Say they have troop A that upgrades to either troop B or troop C. Does the cpu upgrade to troop B 50% of the time and troop C 50% of the time, or will they only upgrade to B or is it random?

I am wondering as I am doing the templates for a faction which has alot more troops than spaces in the reinforcement a,b and c lists so I need to think carefully about which troops I choose to put in.

Answers to the above especially the second question will help greatly.

Cheers

Dunno the actual process yet, but you can always test. Put only a troop with forking upgrade into all reinf templates, and see how parties evolve in game. I suspect random upgrade is the most logical choice.

Also, you can use more than 3 reinf templates if you rewrite party composition scripts (cf_reinforce_party) a bit, i's not rocket science.

Does the cpu upgrade to troop B 50% of the time and troop C 50% of the time, or will they only upgrade to B or is it random?
It's actually A, B and C, for Lords, and A and B for castles.  And A, B and C are references to Party Templates, so the actual composition is a bit random.  But basically Native is structured so that A and B are less-cool troops, whereas C is better stuff, and is picked a little less often.

xenoargh said:
Does the cpu upgrade to troop B 50% of the time and troop C 50% of the time, or will they only upgrade to B or is it random?
It's actually A, B and C, for Lords, and A and B for castles.  And A, B and C are references to Party Templates, so the actual composition is a bit random.  But basically Native is structured so that A and B are less-cool troops, whereas C is better stuff, and is picked a little less often.

I didn't realise that C wasn't used for castles so thanks for that.  I think you got slightly confused by what I meant (my fault for using a,b and c) What I meant was if a Swadian troop upgrades to either a footman or an archer how does the cpu choose which one to upgrade to? and if 10 troops were to be upgraded will I get upgrades of both?

Do you have any idea how they take from the templates? I read somewhere that they cpu takes 25% from template C but I don't quite get what they mean...

Say template C is:

Troop1: min 1 max 4
Troop2: min 1 max 4
Troop3 min 1 max 4

What is 25% of that?

Getassista: Good idea, I will try that  :grin:

I think you got slightly confused by what I meant (my fault for using a,b and c) What I meant was if a Swadian troop upgrades to either a footman or an archer how does the cpu choose which one to upgrade to? and if 10 troops were to be upgraded will I get upgrades of both?
If it's a Lord, it's random which upgrade they choose.  The Lords do not get both; upgrades for Lords work the same way as for players, except IIRC they don't bother with experience, they just randomly upgrade from time to time.

xenoargh said:
I think you got slightly confused by what I meant (my fault for using a,b and c) What I meant was if a Swadian troop upgrades to either a footman or an archer how does the cpu choose which one to upgrade to? and if 10 troops were to be upgraded will I get upgrades of both?
If it's a Lord, it's random which upgrade they choose.  The Lords do not get both; upgrades for Lords work the same way as for players, except IIRC they don't bother with experience, they just randomly upgrade from time to time.

That's interesting. So you are saying that they do not even have to fight to upgrade?

So it is not a case of an AI lord goes into a battle with 100 men, 50 get killed and then the game chooses troops within the remaining 50 and upgrades them after battle but rather a lord could be strolling past a town doing nothing and the game will randomly upgrade some of his troops?

Yup, pretty much.  The relevant code is in simple_triggers, starts with  # Give some xp to hero parties

It's really not that important, though.  You've gotta remember that the Lords are constantly fighting auto-battles. 

So while in theory they can level up everything, they never really get there in practice.  If you want the Lords to have high-end troops, you have to do that when they hire reinforcements.

Back
Top Bottom