Question about how to give shields overhead animation like sturgian shields

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi, I've seen some mods that gave other shields the properties of the Sturgian shields so that they can be held above their heads, and I've read you can change the rotation so they don't clip in the heads of the people before them but are held more upwards. (Yes I'm very cliché desiring to give the empire soldiers the oval shields and then give them the ability to stand in a testudo when I put them in a deep shieldwall)

I suspect I have to change some things in the shields.xml file which is located in Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\SandBoxCore\ModuleData\spitems

Looking at the file I notice that Sturgian shields have this code:
Code:
<Item id="heavy_round_shield" name="{=hRKmfw2H}Heavy Round Shield" body_name="bo_cap_sturgia_shield_a" shield_body_name="bo_sturgia_shield_a" recalculate_body="false" mesh="sturgia_shield_a" culture="Culture.sturgia" using_tableau="true" weight="4.7" difficulty="0" appearance="0.9" Type="Shield" item_holsters="shield_round:shield_4" has_lower_holster_priority="true" holster_position_shift="0,0,0">
    <ItemComponent>
      <Weapon weapon_class="LargeShield" body_armor="9" thrust_speed="86" thrust_damage="5" thrust_damage_type="Blunt" speed_rating="86" physics_material="wood_shield" item_usage="hand_shield" position="-0.02, 0.0, 0.0" rotation="-15.0,-90.0,-10.0" weapon_length="70" center_of_mass="0, 0, 0" hit_points="500">
        <WeaponFlags CanBlockRanged="true" Ha****Points="true" />
      </Weapon>
    </ItemComponent>
    <Flags WoodenParry="true" ForceAttachOffHandPrimaryItemBone="true" HeldInOffHand="true" />

And the shields I would like to edit have:

Code:
<Item id="emirs_oval_shield" name="{=G7AEWZ6c}Decorated Oval Shield" body_name="bo_cap_shield_aserai_infantary_c" shield_body_name="bo_shield_aserai_infantary_c" recalculate_body="false" mesh="shield_aserai_infantary_c" using_tableau="true" weight="4.7" appearance="0.7" Type="Shield" item_holsters="shield_oval:shield_4:shield_3:shield_2" has_lower_holster_priority="true" holster_position_shift="-0.04,-0.0,0">
    <ItemComponent>
      <Weapon weapon_class="LargeShield" body_armor="1" thrust_speed="82" thrust_damage_type="Blunt" speed_rating="82" physics_material="wood_shield" item_usage="shield" position="0.0, 0.00, 0.00" rotation="0.0,10.0,40.00" weapon_length="110" center_of_mass="-0.035, 0.1, 0.1" hit_points="410">
      </Weapon>
    </ItemComponent>
    <Flags WoodenParry="true" HeldInOffHand="true" ForceAttachOffHandSecondaryItemBone="true" />

Should I copy the rotation part from the sturgia shield to the Oval shield and what level of rotation would make the soldiers hold them up above their head as if in a testudo?

Extra question, I can see the shield has a length defined but not a width or am I missing something?

And what do each of these values influence?
position="0.0, 0.00, 0.00" rotation="0.0,10.0,40.00" weapon_length="110" center_of_mass="-0.035, 0.1, 0.1" hit_points="410">

Last edited:
some sturgian shields are hand_shield and are attached to the, hand_shield you will see under item usage
ForceAttachOffHandPrimaryItemBone="true"

that puts its further forward in the hand and allows the animation you seek i think

<Item id="heavy_round_shield" name="{=hRKmfw2H}Heavy Round Shield" body_name="bo_cap_sturgia_shield_a" shield_body_name="bo_sturgia_shield_a" recalculate_body="false" mesh="sturgia_shield_a" culture="Culture.sturgia" using_tableau="true" weight="4.7" difficulty="0" appearance="0.9" Type="Shield" item_holsters="shield_round:shield_4" has_lower_holster_priority="true" holster_position_shift="0,0,0">
<ItemComponent>
<Weapon weapon_class="LargeShield" body_armor="9" thrust_speed="86" thrust_damage="5" thrust_damage_type="Blunt" speed_rating="86" physics_material="wood_shield" item_usage="hand_shield" position="-0.02, 0.0, 0.0" rotation="-15.0,-90.0,-10.0" weapon_length="70" center_of_mass="0, 0, 0" hit_points="500">
</Weapon>
</ItemComponent>
<Flags WoodenParry="true" ForceAttachOffHandPrimaryItemBone="true" HeldInOffHand="true" />
</Item>

hope it helps
*(note that script above has triggered the censor bot - 'Has HitPoints' as one word is naughty it seems, just incase any1 was cutting an pasting

PS in the xml schemas (somewhere in native i think) its list shield item flags 1 of them can modify width i believe - the main shape is from the bo_ of the shield i believe rescale does something but not to sure of exactly what if hit capsule or maybe just cosmetic maybe both

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom