Question about Broken Formation

Users who are viewing this thread

iRkshz

Regular
My archers (and horse archers) constantly break the formation, which spoils my gameplay, and makes the loss of troops that could be avoided

As you can see in the video (0:01-0:07), my crossbowmen are in line+loose formation (this is the optimal formation for archers when you have a lot of them), and as you can see, as soon as my crossbowmen began to attack (0:40), they immediately broke the formation (they stood in a rectangle, so 50% does not shoot, and the shooting angle has also narrowed, now they cannot shoot from the side at the shields, and enemy cavalry easily outflanks them).

Why is this happening? Why my archers (as well as horse archers) do not want to stay in the formation that I order? Why do my archers (and horse archers) break formation as soon as the enemy starts attacking them???

I just hate it, it spoils the fun of the my game - I am the commander, I gave an order and they are must to obey it or die (or flee in panic), but they don't do it!!! I really want to execute them all from this... slowly execute them, in parts, whatever others do!!! :xf-mad:

Last edited:
it happens anyway, even if I order Face Direction, or Face Enemy, they break the formation anyway
btw morale 100 and tactics 150+ don't help
Never use face enemy for a start, it will ruin any formation you have set up. If it's not those commands effecting your ai then it is probably the proximity of the enemy troops to your formation that cause your units to go into self preservation mode drawing some units into melee to defend themselves which makes them leave their original location and it would appear they aren't repositioning themselves correctly back to their original location once the proximity threat is dealt with. My suggestion is to split your archer formation into multiple groups and spread them out more so that they aren't hiveminded into doing silly things in a single formation.

Never use face enemy for a start, it will ruin any formation you have set up. If it's not those commands effecting your ai then it is probably the proximity of the enemy troops to your formation that cause your units to go into self preservation mode drawing some units into melee to defend themselves which makes them leave their original location and it would appear they aren't repositioning themselves correctly back to their original location once the proximity threat is dealt with. My suggestion is to split your archer formation into multiple groups and spread them out more so that they aren't hiveminded into doing silly things in a single formation.
just watch this video, I did Face Enemy

so what kind of threat? one horseman created a threat for 300+ archers? REALLY?????
are you serious? I have to split my archers to make it harder for myself? and every time I need to keep track of their number?
why did you decide that two lines of archers would not break the formation?
why don't the infantry and cavalry change their formation from the threat?

when archers break the formation they start to run into a rectangle - when they run, they create a THREAT FOR THEMSELVES, they open the flanks for the cavalry and allow themselves to be surrounded

if this is not a bug, for this creative idea of a game designer should be brought to justice

hahahahaahha thx mate, you made me feel good :grin:

so what kind of threat? one horseman created a threat for 300+ archers? REALLY?????

Yes, this is what we captain mode players describe as ramboing, which the Ai seems to be doing with his cavalry unit against your archers. A single player who is cavalry will ride by himself into an enemy group of archers forcing them to focus their attacks on the 1 horseman because the Ai reacts to threats within proximity and does not know the difference between 1 enemy and 300 enemies, it just says "Enemy in zone detected - Defend against Enemy zone threat-".

I'm not defending this design decision by any means, in fact we have been complaining about it for over a year. It's not a bug though, its part of the Ai's design which allows it to be easily exploited.

You're preaching to the choir.

About "broken formations" I would like to bring these videos again:

Terco_Viejo:

Look, even the basics of how a fallback order works is broken (or doesn't work as you would expect, imho). Taleworlds has been aware of this since I brought it to their attention in August in alfa-beta period 2019 here. Below is an updated video test of how fallback works in Warband vs Bannerlord.

This still happens, right?

at 0:40 -0:44 seems your crossbowmen started moving after you issued the command to the other troops.almost as a response...

i get this bug is annoying, but why are you just watching them do it and letting it happen? in combat i make formation changes constantly, and when troops don't listen to me i pull them back. This has never happened to me but then again i haven't played with 300 archers in a while. i'd just adjust formation again and again to offset this problem. it's annoying but at least a workaround.

i find archer loose formation has spacing issues when positioning on inclined surfaces. and instead of doing 2-3 lone lines they do a rectangle block. but it doesn't seem to be the case here

at 0:40 -0:44 seems your crossbowmen started moving after you issued the command to the other troops.almost as a response...

i get this bug is annoying, but why are you just watching them do it and letting it happen? in combat i make formation changes constantly, and when troops don't listen to me i pull them back. This has never happened to me but then again i haven't played with 300 archers in a while. i'd just adjust formation again and again to offset this problem. it's annoying but at least a workaround.

i find archer loose formation has spacing issues when positioning on inclined surfaces. and instead of doing 2-3 lone lines they do a rectangle block. but it doesn't seem to be the case here
yes, you can try to return them to their line+loose formation, but this is a waste of time, and also leads to the loss of troops... and still they immediately return to the rectangle formation = so its bug 100%

btw, KKG (Khuzait Khan Guards) after the move into the rectangle formation, they cannot be returned to the line+loose formation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom