Question about adding a new class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Stefano

Squire
I've searched the forums for many hours and didn't find a single answer to this question. I can tell it was asked a lot of times (mainly by newbies), though.

Diabelica said:
I couldn't find a way to create a player undead character.

I have searched the frums for nearly 3 hours and could not find an exact answer.

My module_game_menus entry

("start_undead",[],"Undead",
      [
          (troop_set_type,0,2),
          (assign,"$character_gender",0),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_strength,1),
          (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_charisma,1),
          (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_game_2")
        ]
      ), 

When I start a new game I choose undead and distribute my skill points.When the face generator screen comes I get an error and M&B closes.

The entries in my module_skin is like this

(
    "undead", 0,
    "undead_body", "undead_calf_l", "undead_handL",
    "undead_head", undead_face_keys,
    [],
    [],
    [],
    [],
    [("undeadface_a",0xffffffff,[]),
    ("undeadface_b",0xffcaffc0,[]),
    ], #undead_face_textures
    [], #voice sounds
  ),

and the entry in face_gen is like this

undead_face_keys = []
undead_hair_meshes = []
undead_face_textures =  [("undeadface_a.dds",0xffffffff),("undeadface_b.dds",0xffcaffc0)]

(
    "undead", 0,
    "undead_body", "trousers_hide_a", "undead_calf_l", "undead_handL",
    "undead_head", undead_face_keys,
    [],
    undead_hair_meshes,
    undead_face_textures,
    [],
    [],
),

Sorry for the size of the quote I'm resurrecting. I'm having the same problems this guy had (as I said) but I cannot find any information on to solve it.
As the matter of fact, I'm having problems with my ogre, but adding undeads as a new playable class seem to crash the gamer in a similar way my ogre does.

The following post was Thorgrim's and he said that he copied man_face_keys into undead_face_keys and his test worked. Well, I had no luck doing that.
Have someone managed to solve this problem yet?

Thanks a bunch.
-Stefano

I'm not so sure the problem is with the skeleto...

Nevermind! hahahahah.
I thought you were talking about the engine skeleton used to animate meshes.  :mrgreen:
Got it now.

The question remains... have anyone successfully added a new class to the game?
I'll do the following test (just to see if it's a script problem): create a new class using male settings and see if it crashes.

If you are copying face keys, then make sure the face you are using for your new race has enough vertex morph keys (the same number, or more than the number you define).

Also, in the case of that example, it seems he has put the meshes and textures lines in the wrong spot, and doesnt even have enough fields.  I doubt that would even compile.

If you post what you have in yours I could let you know if there is anything wrong with it, but chances are it is a problem with the face BRF.  Assuming you have been following my tut, make sure you have the 2 default morphs as the first and last frames, and any frames you have defined for your race should be in between.

You mean this: Tutorial: Face Morphs and Vertex Animation
I'll read it more carefuly now that you've mentioned it, but how about undead faces? Shouldn't they work using this process?

EDIT:
Let's cover your suggestion, then. Let's assume my problem is with my BRF (I agree it probably is! :mrgreen: )
Well, my mesh do not have any face keys for now, but apparently we can't just leave the class_face_keys empty. So from what I read on your tutorial I should add at least 2 bogus reference frames (with reference x/y/z values for my vertexes) and work with that as class_face_keys, right? In this case I'll just have one slider on the character creation screen that does absolutely nothing.

EDIT2:
Maybe a third frame in the middle is required, just to serve as morph, since the first and last frames are just references.

You do not actually need any face keys IIRC.

As you know, the undead face has no keys, and that works fine (you just dont get any sliders)

You do however need some default morphs.  If you take a look at the undead face in meshes_face_gen.brf you will see that it has some morphs, even though they are all the same.  Like you suggested, you should be able to just export two default frames for your face, and import them.  It should then work (with an empty key set like with the undead face).  At least thats how I remember it working back when I tested it: first and last frames are the default frames, and all other frames are morphs you can set as keys.

Ok. Just to make things clear as I believe I might be mixing stuff up because of the damn language barrier...
frames: general denomination for mesh changes containers along the time line.
morphs: transitional frames between keys?
Keys: maximum position of morphs?

If that's correct, I'm not undertanding. What I see on max ("[]" are frames. :lol: ):

[default vertexes positions][chin maximum deformation][cheek maximum deformation] .... [default vertexes positions]

There are no transitions (morphs) between changes. Frame 0 is default and frame 1 has the biggest chin possible!

EDIT: I must go to bed now... too bad I didn't ask for help earlier. :mad: Thanks a lot Thor.

Stefano, it should work anyway without face keys.

What your problem is, is as follows:

First of all, don't edit face_gen.py that one isn't for editing.

Secondly in module_skins.py you need to include some hair meshes to choose from, otherwise it will crash. You should probably also add some hair materials and beard materials even if you don't have the meshes.

Really? I currently don't have any of those...
Thanks for the tip with the "face_gen.py" I'll replace with my backup one.

Now I know for a fact I'm also having a problem with my VTA file. As soon as I fix that, if the problem is still there, I'll look into these other options...

Thanks Yoshi! You've been helpful as always.

EDIT: Adding hair/beard meshes seems to work. I have successfuly added the undead class.  :shock:
EDIT2: And.......    the Ogre is in the game! Yoshi, many many many thanks to you. The mesh is not exactly how I want it yet, but, hey at least is finally in the game. I think I'm gonna cry (nah! :lol: ).

you can use an invisible mesh (or any mesh other for funky results) to fill the space for hair and bread and again an invisible material for their materials.

Back
Top Bottom