Quest ending problem (please move to support sub forum)

Users who are viewing this thread

There seems to be a problem or several problems with the ending for the line I took through the quest.
I gave the letter to the vikings and succeeded through the story line to where we crush West Seaxe and I go to meet Sven where he's holed up at Readingum.  I show up there with 211 top end troops plus the 50 or so Arnvid gives me when I talk to him.

So I speak with Arnvid, 3 dialogue choices all 3 end up with me leaving half his forces so 50 men. So far so good.
Then I enter alone outside Readingum and as I approach the gates there's a dialogue between me, mother and Sven, also ok.
After that dialogue is where things head south.

Bug 1) I spawn in the mass of a fighting men.  All of my men spawn inside Readingum, about half of Svens are inside and half are outside the gates.  I have to lead my men over the ladders to get back outside to kill them.  It's a complete slaughter, I lose very few men, Sven's army is wiped out.  I'd expect to spawn outside and Sven's forces inside and I'd have to assault over the ladders to get in, not to get out.

Bug 2) After we kill everyone and I have upwards of 200 troops left I then spawn inside the mead house alone with Sven, my mother and about 6 of his troops.

There's a brief dialogue where my mother tells me not to die but seems otherwise happy with me and then they all attack.

Bug 3) My mother is the first to attack me with a knife.  Kind of hard for me to kill the rest without killing her too.

Bug 4) Killing the rest isn't really an option, I'm in a room against 7 or so fairly well armored troops.  I've tried various tactics but its a pretty short fight and I die.

Now maybe that's the way it's supposed to be but to my mind I have 200 troops.  I could just dismantle that building if I wanted so I suspect something has glitched in the script.  It it really is supposed to be some 1 vs 7 fight that's kind of an implausible forced ending.  1v1 is fine but if it's more than 1v1 then I'm bringing my army with and it'll be 200 vs 6 not 1 vs 6.

edit: Just noticed I posted this in Story & Lore, meant to post it in support.

This is with 1.165 and 1.02 latest.
I don't have great relationship with my companions.  It's kind of tough to do.  In the quest lines there are decisions that will piss one or more of them off.  Half of them leave with the letter decision, Solveig never showed up so you're left with Egil, Helgi and Agonothis as fighters.  I do have those 200 other guys that I pay extremely well,  I should be able to convince a few of them to go in.

edit:
Well I worked around it by cheating and setting the player damage to lowest, at that point it was pretty easy to win the 1v6 (or 7 battle).  I might have been able to do it on normal but I didn't see the point as it's effectively the end and it would have taken many tries.  The end result is the same, bring things to an end 

I'll probably go through a fresh sandbox play through and then try the quest line as a non-viking.  Nice job on the quests overall, I normally prefer sandbox but they they were quite entertaining

Funny thing to hear that someone managed to complete the campaign and found it amusing. Can we have the recepie or the option to achieve it????????????

Warband version 1.165, VC version 1.02 beta

Readingum Battle - Final quest battle against Sven.

OK, I've played this out a few times now and it's just very frustrating.

I get past the first issue of having the enemy warriors stuck at the gates by having some archers follow me out into the fields and slowly taking them out. I can win this battle every time now.

The problem is that no companions, nor any of my own troops, join me in the mead hall to face Sven and his men. Having read the above comments, I made sure my relations with my companions was high (don't get much higher than 99), yet they still don't appear to assist me. I've taken out most of Sven's men by myself on several occasions but have yet to beat them all. Frustrating! I've played this through about 10 times now and have yet to have any of my own join me in this final show down.

Rik Halderman said:
Warband version 1.165, VC version 1.02 beta

Readingum Battle - Final quest battle against Sven.

OK, I've played this out a few times now and it's just very frustrating.

I get past the first issue of having the enemy warriors stuck at the gates by having some archers follow me out into the fields and slowly taking them out. I can win this battle every time now.

The problem is that no companions, nor any of my own troops, join me in the mead hall to face Sven and his men. Having read the above comments, I made sure my relations with my companions was high (don't get much higher than 99), yet they still don't appear to assist me. I've taken out most of Sven's men by myself on several occasions but have yet to beat them all. Frustrating! I've played this through about 10 times now and have yet to have any of my own join me in this final show down.

What relation do you have with your companions? How many companions you have?

Yusuf_Persian said:
If you cant defeat a bot 1v7 you probably suck at fighting or simply bad equipment and stats.

It's complicated by being in a small room with no where to keep from getting surrounded, plus trying to avoid hitting your mother.  As I stated I probably could beat it given a few tries but I don't see the point.  It's an implausible (I have 200 men right outside that are fanatically loyal) ending to the quest line and I just wanted to get past it.  Finding the one spot in the room where the AI whigs out and can't hit you isn't really all that interesting.  You're not beating the game you're beating the dev's pathfinding code.

Back
Top Bottom