Quarrying

Users who are viewing this thread

Can you guys please provide some feedback on quarrying. Just as of town management I barely hear anything. Does it work correctly? Have you died lots of times by a mine collapse? Melting? Is it fun.

Please tell me your experiences.  :smile:

More variety for chance finds while mining.  Sometimes you might get lucky and get a chunk of iron/silver/gold or other gem stones.  The only chance find I ever see is Amber right now.

Also, maybe make the stone have a little less health or make the crafting skill make you be able to mine/saw quicker as it takes (in my opinion) way too long to acquire stone and metals for things like crafting and building.  Also, give chances for multiple yields from single source.  Leadership/charisma can contribute towards bonus prestige gains.

I really love the idea of being self sufficient, making some good money, and outfitting my companions with excellent armor and weapons I crafted myself. Oddly enough, my favorite thing to do is to just become a blacksmith and mine my own materials early game. The lack of prestige gain I noticed is getting fixed, which is GREAT.

I do think there are some issues however.

The randomness of mine collapses is odd. It encourages rapid movement through the mine, getting what you can as fast as possible to minimize your chance of losing everything you've done. I understand since it's such a powerful way to make money that it needs consequences, but losing everything you've mined so far is quite steep if you've been doing it for the past hour. Maybe instead of losing your ores you pay for a doctor to heal you? Or add in a skill based mechanic where instead of an instant collapse, a particle effect or sound effect indicate the ceiling is about to cave in, requiring you to get out as soon as possible.

There are quite a few dead end hallways that have a small chance of having ores. I tend to just run through the main rooms, glancing around for any ores, making my way to the furthest room where there's an almost guaranteed chance of at least a few iron and sometimes silver and gold. Maybe make it possible to expand the mine? Or even pay workers to mine for you.

And that brings me to my next suggestion: Player made mines. There aren't very many available mines in the world, and all of them are already owned. I think it'd be nice to build my own mine near my faction, instead of having to run across enemy territory if I need a few thousand denars from crafting. I think it would be difficult to code a system where you could place a mine anywhere, so what if you had a few abandoned mines scattered around that could be repaired?

I do like the mini game when smelting, even if it doesn't make much sense. I only fail it if I make a mistake, and it doesn't feel unfair to me. The ratios required make sense considering the massive profits you can make.

Nova Aetas is my favorite mod to play, and I've spent 100 hours with more characters than I can remember. And a big chunk of that time is from mining and crafting. I find it very relaxing, as I don't always want to be a conquering hero driving the barbarians away from my faction. I really only play this mod BECAUSE of it's excellent crafting system, and the only thing it really needs is the fix to smithing prestige, which is already coming. So thank you for this mod and all the hard work you've put into it.

Zizak said:
Maybe instead of losing your ores you pay for a doctor to heal you?

a few abandoned mines scattered around that could be repaired?

Nova Aetas is my favorite mod to play, [...] thank you for this mod and all the hard work you've put into it.

Ay, I am really up for those two. Will be happy to vote on those option if you ever made a voting.

Thank you for leaving detailed feedback. I have waited until I got enough time to write a satisfying answer to you.

Yes, prestige points will be granted much more in the upcoming version. Not only finishing crafting at the blacksmith, but also melting ores will provide prestige.
Perhaps the effects of a mine collapse is indeed too punitive for the player. It is dangerous, but losing all of your items is too discouraging.
I'll change the script and make it have a 75% removal chance for ores and ingots. So there's atleast something saved. Still, the life of a peasant is hard. You'll struggle to survive in this dark medieval world.

If you want, you can edit the mine scene. Extending it, placing more props and such. Send the .scn file to me to add it to the mod. Feel free to do so.

I like the idea about abandoned mines. It's added to the mod.

as I don't always want to be a conquering hero driving the barbarians away from my faction
This mod is exactly designed for players like you.  :smile:

Will you be adding prestige gains from mining ores?  Currently you only get it from mining rocks.  I see you mentioned smelting ores will gain prestige in 4.2, but I don't see any specification on the actual mining of the ore veins.  Just want to be certain.

Quintillius said:
Yes, added.

I haven't tried it in 5.0 as of yet, I got really into it last week on v4.1, I was making around 8000 gold from a single mining trip, though i was a bit unsure what to do with the gold/silver/steel ingots i'd made other than sell them, do i need to join a guild as a blacksmith to get access to the forge or is it available in any centre?

KidKoala said:
Quintillius said:
Yes, added.

I haven't tried it in 5.0 as of yet, I got really into it last week on v4.1, I was making around 8000 gold from a single mining trip, though i was a bit unsure what to do with the gold/silver/steel ingots i'd made other than sell them, do i need to join a guild as a blacksmith to get access to the forge or is it available in any centre?

Gold and silver are used for high quality items (need 9-10 crafting) in tailor and blacksmith.  You'd be best to sell most and keep one or two per bundle to save up for your tailor and blacksmith.

My main query is how to access the scene where I do the smithin' to forge weapons/armour :?:

Do I need to become a blacksmith via a Guild before I have access to this or can any Tom, **** or Marnid do it?

Have only had a quick look at the Blacksmith features and I joined  the Guild of Thires as a Blacksmith (in v4.1) though couldn't see any menu when I went to my workshop. Though I didn't look around that much.

KidKoala said:
My main query is how to access the scene where I do the smithin' to forge weapons/armour :?:

Do I need to become a blacksmith via a Guild before I have access to this or can any Tom, **** or Marnid do it?

Have only had a quick look at the Blacksmith features and I joined  the Guild of Thires as a Blacksmith (in v4.1) though couldn't see any menu when I went to my workshop. Though I didn't look around that much.

In the blacksmith scene, go over and interact with the workbench. It will pull up the menu to select what item you would like to create. Once you select a part to make, the individual metal will be removed from your inventory and you will start the actual blacksmithing process. There will be giant yellow arrows to guide you along.

Quarrying doesn't seem to work for me. I go in, and I get a ton of rocks with 2 ores. Then the smelter won't let me turn them into ingots.

Rynian said:
Quarrying doesn't seem to work for me. I go in, and I get a ton of rocks with 2 ores. Then the smelter won't let me turn them into ingots.

Make sure you have enough ore to make the ingots and DO NOT MIX ORES.  You'll screw up the formula and basically lose the ores you put in as you'll have to leave the area and reset everything.

2 Iron Ores  = 1 Iron Ingot
1 Iron Ingot = 1 Steel Ingot
4 Silver Ores = 1 Silver Ingot
6 Gold Ores = 1 Gold Ingot

If you're new to this mod, you'll have to hold F to dump the ores into the smelter after you loaded them into the wheelbarrow.

If you're just after profit i've found selling the ores far more profitable than selling the ingots, I made 15,000 gold from a single trip by selling the ores. I had built of my trade skill to 8 though.

The thing is about quarrying and mining and farming is that it can be avoided really easily. For example,from the beginning of the game I looked for cities that held feasts and you can do around 3-5 tournaments on them,that means around 30-40k money.I pilled up the $ and bought houses that gave me prestige,that way I really had nothing to do with the peasant things. I suggest you put a restriction on the participation of tournaments.You should be at least middle class before entering a tournament. Imagine a tournaments where most of the lords participate and then a peasant shows up and he actually gets the first place in that tournament. Another bad thing about the difficulty of tournaments( I have not looked into options,maybe there is a way) is that after you get some companions, which will be low level anyway,you won't have any kind of difficulty if you want to try the fastest way to get money out of the tournament,that being 3 teams of 2 players with max bets( you need to get 4 points ) which is really easy, I finish a round in 30 seconds.
I bet if you put a restriction on this,more people will be annoyed for sure,but they would test the stuff you put out in the game,having to rely on it,not just test them.

I actually like the fact that those tasks can be avoided. Mining and woodcutting are useful in my playthroughs because they give me the materials for building castles and colonies. Even then, I don't particularly enjoy it, but it gets to the end result faster than running around buying up stone from one end of Calradia to the other. As far as competing in tournaments, if it has to be limited it should be limited by renown, not prestige. If I serve as a mercenary for some lord and become a knight or boyar, I should be able to enter a tourney regardless of prestige.

Stavros said:
The thing is about quarrying and mining and farming is that it can be avoided really easily. For example,from the beginning of the game I looked for cities that held feasts and you can do around 3-5 tournaments on them,that means around 30-40k money.I pilled up the $ and bought houses that gave me prestige,that way I really had nothing to do with the peasant things. I suggest you put a restriction on the participation of tournaments.You should be at least middle class before entering a tournament. Imagine a tournaments where most of the lords participate and then a peasant shows up and he actually gets the first place in that tournament. Another bad thing about the difficulty of tournaments( I have not looked into options,maybe there is a way) is that after you get some companions, which will be low level anyway,you won't have any kind of difficulty if you want to try the fastest way to get money out of the tournament,that being 3 teams of 2 players with max bets( you need to get 4 points ) which is really easy, I finish a round in 30 seconds.
I bet if you put a restriction on this,more people will be annoyed for sure,but they would test the stuff you put out in the game,having to rely on it,not just test them.

I personally find tournaments restrictively hard, partly because I don't usually put more than 9 - 12 points in Strength/Agility, the opponents all seem to be really high levels. Playing on 125% difficulty also means one hit knocks me out when it takes about 4 - 5 of mine to take down an opponent. Also if you don't reload your save when knocked out of a tournament it doesn't make it very viable to keep betting all that money.

If you're just grinding tournaments you may as well just import a load of money on your character sheet and mark it down as inheritance.

Stavros said:
There is no setup for every player to follow. Everyone is free to choose his own path. Nova Aetas has added civil ways to earn money instead of joiningtournaments, fighting bandits and looting villages.
If you choose the military way to earn gold, you're fine. I love it how people choose their own destiny. I won't put a restriction on tournaments as players generally don't like restrictions, plus it's the 'only way' to earn money for newbies.

This is about destiny.You would think that in a game with lower/middle/higher classes then there would be restrictions for them right? it does not make any sense that a farmer can join a tournament. And newbie? tournaments? really? I wonder whats the best way to earn money and also become a "pro" mount and blade player.

Back
Top Bottom