Quantity over quality tweaks

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm considering what changes I'm going to make to my install to make a 'quantity over quality' approach viable. The goal is to make the player aim for a huge personal army of mostly mid-tier troops rather than a regular-sized personal army of solely top-tier troops. I currently plan doing the following:

• Reduce the regulars_xp_multiplier in the module.ini by a significant amount to make leveling of regulars extremely slow (divide by 20?)
  • Use TweakMB to increase the numbers of recruits you get from villages and increasing the chance of higher tier recruits (aiming for mid-tiers to be the most common at high village relations)
  • Use TweakMB to significantly increase the player's army size limit (up to 2000 with max Leadership?)
  • Use TweakMB to significantly increase the party morale bonus per Leadership point
  • Use TweakMB to reduce food consumption

Thanks to the first change it'll be extremely hard to get masses of top-tier troops, including top-tier Nobles and thus Order troops, while the other changes open the path to overwhelm the enemy with hordes of mid-tiers. It might be necessary to reduce the base troop wages through TweakMB as well, but I first want to try this without it.

Thoughts?

stuff you will encounter in military campaigns (in happiest scenario)

100 valdis+100 berserk+ 100 valkyrie or
100 guardians, 100 immortals, 100 Eknights or
100 Kothe Lion, 100 larians, 100 halberds or
100 RR, 100 mounted RR, 100 mounted or
100 scorpions, 100 adventurers, 100 windriders

although AI is not very smart, all of the above are enough to break 1000 low-mid tier troops. I only counted King + 1 or max 2 lords from each side.
you will need to align all your 2000 troops, arrange them on hills and stuff, perhaps it will work,though you will need a BSize of 2-4k!!! but

- the MB engine itself is known for crashes, especially when BSize is huge, so perhaps the engine itself will limit this for you
- i've heard of lucky people who go BSize 1000 and the game still looks good and works well. Never heard of BSize 4k. Unless you're a NASA mb trained player then if your PC can take that hit, i can only envy you, that is unless you sacrifice the already poor MB graphics for the low setting ones.
- cavalry tends to act like morons when BSize is huge. Quicker than you could set them many of them will dehorse, but won't be assigned to infantry, leaving you with infantry charging with long lances or no shields, or the many problems that you can find yourself into because of this situation. Perhaps you should also think about some minor mods to take care of troop formations.
-some maps are too small for 1000 troops.. i can't think above that what you'll encounter but in some maps your lethaldiran will kill a poor bastard before it even spawns, making the enemy troops auto-idiotically-charge without you being able to ever even think about preliminary tactics
- how about bandits? mostly, unique spawns, defending their puny 300 noldors against your 2k auto? or waves of 20 mettenheim charging into your 1200 troops? Because tactics?
- speaking of which, you will certainly need tactics as your no1 skill. So def go with a companion pushing tactics, and main char too.
- how about the CKO? will you give up on them? or train them into something not so powerful? it'd be a shame to give up this option in the game

- if you do this it is a must that you share some bits of your roleplay here, i think many peeps on this forum would be curious about it :grin:

Thanks for the replies. I just found out regulars_xp_multiplier only affects experience gained through combat, not the Training nor after-battle XP. Does anyone got any clue how to change/disable the Training XP bonuses without capping the skill at 0 and removing points from companions? I indeed don't want to give up the CKO.

Edit: I suppose I could cap Trainer at 0 and increase the CKO training rate by a factor of 5-10 or something like that. It does give an advantage because I won't have to invest points in Trainer on companions, but I suppose it's a minor bonus compared to all the downsides of this idea.

Edit2: To answer your questions, I play at a 400+ battle size and I increased the map sizes accordingly. I expect I'll still get some top-tier troops, but I won't be able to mass produce them because they'll only level from battles, and slowly at that. Order troops slowly spawn in garrisons, so I'll have some of those. Using Fierdsvain troops as an example, I'd expect most of the army being Light Infantry and Axeman, with 10-20% Armored Axeman and Huscarls being very rare.

This sounds a bit like something I did to mix up an early play through, instead of altering using tweaks you create some new troops in Morghs in this case adding what I called commoner infantry and cavalry which upgrade the first from most militias and the second from the infantry essentially giving you access to a large cavalry force early on which is capable of fighting bandits but gets slaughtered without heavy support against kingdom elite troops.  It actually worked pretty well you just need to make sure that the cavalry can only select from a wide variety of truly ordinary equipment.

Captain_Octavius said:
Edit2: To answer your questions, I play at a 400+ battle size and I increased the map sizes accordingly. I expect I'll still get some top-tier troops, but I won't be able to mass produce them because they'll only level from battles, and slowly at that. Order troops slowly spawn in garrisons, so I'll have some of those. Using Fierdsvain troops as an example, I'd expect most of the army being Light Infantry and Axeman, with 10-20% Armored Axeman and Huscarls being very rare.
So when you join all your AI lords and appear on with three companions because the AIs brought so many people, how will this change the battlefield?

Due to the way food, morale etc works I just gave up on carrying large armies. When 350 army means I appear with 5 companions instead of a 100-size leading to 2 companions I just stopped dragging around that much.

Back
Top Bottom