Quality of Life Improvements Checklist

Users who are viewing this thread

Quality of Life should be more than low priority.

It influences us players every day and every hour. The QoL has a huge impact on whether we like or dislike the game in the end.

Positive example:
Dropping shield when blocking and press G.
Great addition, makes me happy. When I launch Warband I insantly miss it.

Negativ example:
Slow camera snap back.
I hate it every day. When I launch Warband I feel happy to use it, and very sad that BL is missing that feature.

Here is my checklist.

ProblemDescriptionPossible Fix
Always show namesShow names is a crucial mechanic in Skirmishes. Us players have to always hold a key for that.Menu option: Always show names
Menu slider: Size of Names
Menu option: Colour of names, Colour of border
Instant camera snap backThe camera snaps back to slow. It causes motion sickness and makes the function not enjoyable and almost useless.Menu option: Enable instant camera snap back (like warband)
or
Menu slider: Snap back duration 0-1 sec
Hold G to drop itemsOpening the drop menu takes too long to open. It is also not easy to understand.Hold duration needed: 0.1s
or
Menu slider: Hold duration 0-1s
Add a colourcode for the items. Example:
Shields green, Throwing red, Swords blue ...
Inventory managementThe Player has no way to keep track which weapons are in which slot. Weapon switches with keys is very unintuitive.Menu option: Display weapons at bottom right (like CSGO)
Friendlist confusingOnce your friendlist constist of 50+ players its really hard to find someone.Sort friendlist by alphabet
and add
Search function
Killfeed confusingIts near impossible to get any helpfull information from killfeed mostly because of confusing colours bad structure and short appearance. On large servers you cannot even see your own messages.Intuitive colourcode (like warband)
Kills from team:green
Kills from player: dark green
Kills from enemy: red
Deaths: dark red
Teamkills: black
Table structure (like warband) can display more kills with same required space.
Score SystemThe Score system is already better than just sorting by kills but sadly mostly rewards lasthits.Score = 100×(damage dealt÷target total hp)×(target troop cost÷100)
additionally score for damaging mounted horses
Score = 100×(damage dealt÷horse total hp)×(0.5×target troop cost÷100)
Score for taking flag: 25 local score distributed
ChambersChambers dont really work with physical collisionLike warband, "only" directional and timing
Map namesMap names are displayed in numbers in match creationDisplay map names
Perks selectionPerks must be adjusted at the beginning of all gamesPlayers can save their preferred perks in the armory
Accidental peasant spawnWhen you dont have gold to spawn the same troop again the game switches to peasant in the spawn menu.Next cheaper troop of same class should be selected. Only if not possible switch to peasant.
Accidental arrow pick upsInf will pick up arrows on accident quite often.No very simple solution because archers still need it.
Menu option: Only pickup arrows when having a bow in the inventory.
Very often occuring, annoying bugs that have been reported 1 year ago-Cannot release bow/throwables
-Cannot release swing after getting kickslashed
-Cannot release swing after successfully stabbing enemy
-Throwables despawn when dropped on dirt
fix
Stairs slow downWhen entering small wooden stairs while fighting slows you down too much. Therefore it is crucial to always jump over them.Stairs dont slow down this much.
Flag pole camera problemThe Camera system is not perfect. The Camera always jumps when the back is turned towards the flag pole making it very annoying to defend.The flag pole itself should not exist or have no hitbox or be lifted in the sky or something else. But the most intense fight situation at the end of a round should not always end up with camera fiesta.
Console openingThe console should not have a key combination that is needed for gameplay and not rebindable at the same time.Keybind option: Open console
Server crashesServer crash too oftenDon't underestimate how server crashes can influence the playerbase.

Those things must be addressed asap in my opinion!

Last edited:
[TD]Accidental arrow pick ups[/TD][TD]Inf will pick up arrows on accident quite often.[/TD][TD]No very simple solution because archers still need it.
Menu option: Only pickup arrows when having a bow in the inventory.[/TD]
Especially agree with this one, so annoying to accidentally take an arrow instead of the javelin or sword right next to it, the game prioritizes arrows for some reason.

If I may add one more.

It's confusing to find your friends name when pressing ALT . The colour light blue gets mixed up a lot with the environment and the other users names (white). Maybe give the option to change this colour to prominent ones like green/red or other colours?

Also the dropping shield by right click then G, the animation has to be fully completed in order to do that. Would be improved by making the shield drop at any time during the animation.
Very minor thing but hey, QOL

Just....
<3

thx apriko for this list

btw i totally support all of those QoL improvements
Thats the beauty of QoL. There are almost no downsides. When you invest time into this the game will become better as reward.
However if you put all your ressources into balancing attempts you might end up worse than before.

Last edited:
There is a simple Solution for the show names one, by just putting it on the ><| buttom and put a little weight on it. xD You know like you use rubber banding on the controler in games like Nier to never stop shooting hahaha.
Great list! I would add this:
Perk Saving in Main Menü - this is an important quality of life feature at least imo. "I am Speed" in this by now but still...

small **** like this is really helpful, for me the snapback camera is the most important one.. On warband i used it all the time, now i dont have the time to do it when a F1 horse coming i have to turn around to check, which leaves me vulnerable for literally every other class

Definitely a good QoL collection.

However, I think the most urgent thing that, to be honest, should have been implemented by now is the camera snap warband speed ("instant"). This issue was already brought to the dev's eyes consecutively through thread batteries during the closed alpha/beta period making reference to it and Apri himself right at the start of EA opened a thread as well.

@emrozdemir , please could you keep an eye on this primarily and secondarily on the other camera inconsistencies bringing this up internally. Camera snap is highly used in MP but also in SP, let's not forget that.

Nice post, I agree with every improvement mentioned in the OP.
Also the dropping shield by right click then G, the animation has to be fully completed in order to do that. Would be improved by making the shield drop at any time during the animation.
Very minor thing but hey, QOL
I also agree with this suggestion.

A small one that applies to SP and MP:

Have different saved graphical settings for SP and MP. Becomes quite tedious having to change graphical settings when switching between SP and MP. I'd imagine it would be quite easy to implement as you have to close the game anyway to swap between the two.

Back
Top Bottom