Python language

Users who are viewing this thread

edyzmedieval

Recruit
Anyone know this language?How hard is it to learn it? :?:

I've started reading the tutorials. I need another programming language, besides C++(which I always hated).  :!:

C++ is a wonderful language.

I've been pointed to the O'Reilly book on python, but I'm too busy to pick it up right now. As a language, it is supposed to be pretty simple to learn (though certainly not simpler than Lisp - the best of them all).

Well, C++ is 5000 times better than Pascal. C++ is a friendly programming language, but I haven't studied it since last year. :sad:

I'm here to stay and learn Python. Who knows, you might sometime need it.

The problem with Python is that it's a scripting language, which means it's not a great choice for systems programming (then again neither is Pascal). If you want to do real work C++ (or Java - sigh) are decent choices. If you're willing to limit yourself to a windows environment(let's just ignore Mono for now), C# is one of the best choices, combining all the advantages of VB and Java. If speed is a major concern C (or a limited version of C++) is nearly a requirement.

Incidentally, you don't need to know much Python to hack around in the official editor. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Well, time is not an issue. I wanna go more advanced than editing M&B, if you get the drift.

Guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board and learn C++

C++ is tough to fully understand, and difficult to port. You might want to look at Java, or C#. But, if you're not looking at doing a lot of systems calls, python's not a bad language.

Not that any of you are likely to have heard of it, but RealBasic has one of the best cross-platform solutions available. All standard controls are set up between platforms so that source can be compiled for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux with minimal system-specific code (and in many cases, absolutely none needed) and the exact same layout and functionality. Of course controls will have the standard look of the OS they're running on, so there will be slight visual differences.
Easy to use, too. Me, I cut my teeth playing with the BASIC integrated into the command-line of a Commodore 64 computer, so I like it. It's a rapid development platform like C# or Delphi.
It's not open source or free though. *shrug*

calandale said:
Perl for the incomprehensible win.
Meh, PHP for me. Good stuff there. I've only dabbled lightly in Perl a couple of times though, so I guess it's not like I have a good base of experience with it. I have heard that Perl is a lot more efficient with some things than PHP.

Mainly, it is just so loose. You can really get yourself confused with it. People seem to go out of their way to obfuscate perl code too. You can do a lot more damage with C, but perl coders take more pride in it. What's the point of a one line program, if it takes days to figure out?

calandale said:
What's the point of a one line program, if it takes days to figure out?

It's like making an aborigen talk Japanese.  :wink:
They pride with it because it's so hard, so they must be like gods or something. Those in my class do the same.

So, who knows Python from here?

Read the tutorials throughly. It's very important that you understand everything, even if you have to read it more than once.

I know, it's a hard time. But if you want to mod M&B(or create a game similar to M&B), learn it.

Python is the best if you want to throw together a quick prototype or simulation for general purposes. It's so easy to use. My only peeve about it is that whitespace has syntactical meaning in Python. But you eventually get used to it.

Perl is best if you have to munge through obscene amounts of raw data but don't really need a huge amount of programming descriptiveness. I seem to recall I hate its lack of readbility but I can't remember why.

And of course C and suchnot variants is best, and by best I mean necessary, for serious application development.

Is it necessary to know C++ or other programming language to understand Python?  :?:

I mean, I learned C++ for about 2 years, and got so far to text files(we're still doing math problems at school :sad: ), so I know programming and how it works.
Any help please? Because Python is based on object programming. Never done this before(object programming).

edyzmedieval said:
Is it necessary to know C++ or other programming language to understand Python?  :?:

No, not at all.

edyzmedieval said:
Any help please? Because Python is based on object programming. Never done this before(object programming).

Object oriented programming is easy. You've learnt structs in C right? Well just think of objects as structs for code as well as data.

I'm sure you've already looked through these:
http://docs.python.org/tut/

Back
Top Bottom