Python errors on a fresh start

Users who are viewing this thread

I finally can't stand it anymore...  :mrgreen:

Warnings are NOT Errors.  I know some experienced guys have been trying to help by avoiding this, but personally, I feel that this is not good for general "education" of new modders.  In the long run, better slap in the facts than to be gentle but possibly strengthen false assumptions.

"error" means something is broken.  (can split into compile time/build time/run time)
"warning" just means, "I hope I know what you are doing".  During build time, there some some simple checks on certain things (e.g. like variables declared and not used, or variables not declared but used) which often HINTS at human errors.  But this is not always the case (if it were, they should be flagged as errors, not warnings).  Sometimes, operations that causes these warnings are done intentionally with full knowledge of the consequences.

Egbert said:
Yes.
Daegoth] they are there for keeping the savegame compatibility. [/quote] [/quote] think those 2 got it.  From what I can guess going on inside said:
(assign, "$g_presentation_marshall_selection_max_renown_3", 0),
(assign, "$g_presentation_marshall_selection_max_renown_3_troop", 0),

Excelent job guys thank you very much I added these lines at 11370 line as you said and error went away, you are genius :smile:.

Now lets learn how to code lol.

What a noob :sad:

My advice, as a coder and a rather new modder, is not to do things unless you know what you're doing.  Learn to accept "warnings".  Not try to hide them.  Warnings are there for a reasons, usually as reminders (to dev, to other modders etc). It COULD be some unfinished part which will then use the variables, or just a reminder to remove the parts that references the unused variable (usually in an unused script)

Though I may seem a little "negative" in this post, I do this with good intentions.  If one's going deeper into the modding world, you're half a foot into coding.  Warnings are everyday things and are THERE for reasons.  In many ways, they're like post-it reminders, which will become useless if you try to hide them.

Summary:
Today's "lesson"  :razz:
  • warnings are not errors.
  • some warnings are like post-it reminders and should not be hidden (esp by adding dummy operations).
  • adding your own voodoo operations just to get rid of warnings are no-no.
  • the golden rule: if you don't know what you're doing, either learn, or don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom