Punish "Deserter" Captains? Addressing lone wolfing in multiplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

lol why would you complain about people leaving unit banks?

It's a terrible strategy, means the rest of your team is 4v5 for troop squads and manning poinst, and if enemy cav spots your troop you're ****ed.

Bad players use troop banks, and good players beat them for using such a dumb strategy.

1000%

Last edited:
It doesnt count any of your kills though, or kills made by your own ai units.the assists statistic is probably the most useless and non informative statistic in captain mode. It's kind of silly that you think it is in any way revealing or indicative of anything relevant.
The point was that assists it's only stat that tells honestly what you have done, don't know how to explain this further. Didn't say I like it and would prefer that whole stats system would be removed untill it would be more honest with your personal stats.

Last edited:
I think to put a perspective on someone who activley rambos in cap, the reason its done is because

1. The cav use swords, axes instead of lances
2. Rear up on a blade of grass
3. Ai loves to get caught and die.

For the guys who are complaining, are we supposed to give you free kills?.

Yes its a toxic playstayle but the reason its done is not toxic, we cant bring Ai cos they are beyongd useless.

Give us a couch command, better formations and improve path finding then itll stop.

They arent a support class now, much more like dead weight apart from the captain

Assists only count if you dealt damage and the unit you damaged gets killed by another unit before you yourself die, and you die quite a bit in captain mode, everyone does. This is why there are so few assists in comparison.
It's even lower, Ling; assists only count when your player character damages another player character/AI, then another human player on your team kills the initially damaged player/AI. This is pretty rare, and really doesn't say anything about your personal play/skill level because they are almost entirely based on luck/proximity. As it's been pointed out accidentally TKing/damaging your own/allied units/allied players happens frequently in the infantry blob fights; it can also lead to the production of assists, since once your men have been positioned well your hero (user controlled) is often fighting in close proximity to other hero captains. In any fight that isn't a mass infantry fight naturally assists are more difficult to garner. It is especially difficult as well obviously to collect assists when playing as cav or archers.

Your AI killing a player char/AI you've previously damaged happens all the time and doesn't produce assists at all. It's funny that it was even suggested that assists are actually a useful metric since it's painfully aware to captain players that they are not, at all. There are many rounds where I have damaged 8-10 separate AI before recording my first kill, especially against shields when I am playing shock hammering away at their back lines, and this is a good macro strat. I think a lot of the disconnect that skirmish mains harbor with captain mode is the inability to think beyond the micro, where a player's skill is completely based on being able to outduel other players. They also believe that captain players see themselves as superheroes soloing wave after wave of AI. This could not be further from the truth. The most successful captain players routinely execute the macro the best, often meaning that a player is doing plenty of damage to AI but not killing as many, distracting the other captain with a 1v1 duel once you've out positioned their men with your own, distracting enemy AI without even engaging them, just having them follow you away from the main fight so your men can mop them up. Of course there is something to be said for your own personal skill and yes, there are plenty of rounds where the player has 20+ kills on their own, it's all situational. But the idea of not being good at the game forcing players into playing captain instead of skirmish is beyond laughable to anyone who understands the simple concept that you're not playing on LAN. It is often advantageous to tie up an enemy captain in a duel, even if you lose, especially when your ping is much higher, if you/your team has already out positioned them, since you are affectively mitigating their "superhero" ability to cause havoc in your lines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom