PC WORKSHOP

Here creates the best computers in Calradia! You can ask for help with any PC related issues, learn about at the new builds and read our articles.

Quick Overview

Category
Miscellaneous
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total discussions

Publication №4: Choosing a GPU [Need rework]

Users who are viewing this thread

Publication №4: Choosing a GPU

Today we will talk about video cards, since they are what most affect our framerate in games. To understand which model to choose for an upgrade, you need to focus on the CPU. This is because the work of the video card and the processor are very interrelated, due to the phenomenon called bottlenecking.

Bottlenecking
Sometimes, due to unbalanced assembly, your components do not work at full capacity. For example, in our PC there is a “monster” GTX 1080ti, and a core i3 8100 CPU. The CPU cannot prepare the required number of frames for a video card, since it lacks performance for this. In the meantime, the video card is just idle and does not work at full capacity. The same can be the other way around when you have a core i7 8700k and a budget video card like a GTX 1060.

Video card upgrades
Let's try to choose a video card for the upgrade. For greater clarity, let's go to https://gamegpu.com/ and see some tests in games from 2018-2019 . We find the graph “TEST GPU”, if there are settings for the graphics of the game, set the highest (avoid DlSS and RTX) and choose your processor.

04fdb9be0189face998c07ab5813dfad.png
def2bb9c9be750fcd31fdeaf221e8a19.png
e7b7bbd8a8cb7e0a8d72ee000bf25837.png
5e5a617b217b5614b74752a0f42f8f41.png
d44925a588adbffbbdea5e9c0066b8b2.png
After studying the graphs in detail, you can come to the conclusion that for an Intel Core i5-4670, video cards with maximum performance without a bottleneck effect depending on the project will be:

Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia - GTX 1060 6gb
Metro Exodus - RTX 2080 TI
Battlefield V - GTX 1070 TI
Assassin´s Creed: Odyssey - GTX 1070 TI
Resident Evil 2 - RTX 2080

As you see, some games are more dependent on the processor and others on the video card. I can not say with 100% accuracy, but most likely, Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord will be more dependent on the processor, like Total War: Saga, because of the large number of units on the battlefield.
But, that's not all, after we have a few candidates we go back to the “TEST GPU”. We select the most powerful processor, write down the minimum FPS values and compare the results of the chart with those that we found when the processor installed in your PC was selected. If there is no difference or it is insignificant, go to the site of the store where you will purchase the video card.

I hope the prices in your stores will be similar to those in https://www.computeruniverse.ru/ , since prices in my country for all components can be up to 30% higher than recommended, and ordering parts from Computeruniverse is unprofitable because per law for the maximum order amount without tax of $ 150 and expensive delivery. So, do not consider this advertising :grin:. If you know international stores with better prices, write about it below.

In order not to become a victim of marketing, we take the price of a video card from one of the vendors of each line and divide by the amount of the minimum FPS that we recorded earlier. At the end, we get the price per FPS. I recommend focusing on the test Resident Evil 2 or any other in which the difference between the performance of video cards is clear. For example, from NVIDIA I took GIGABYTE, and from AMD SAPPHIRE.
Green - is the best choice.
Orange - not available

27c99f9261c5c88682cbcf5b395ba1c0.png
When you are confident in your choice of video card, go to the manufacturer's website and look at the recommended power supply capacity. If the power of your PSU coincides with the specified number or is higher than necessary, that is good, but beyond that it should be of high quality. For more about this, and about which vendor to choose a video card from--and with which cooling system--we'll talk in other releases.

Friends, we really need help with the correct translation! If it's not difficult for you, please suggest corrections.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom