PSA Taleworlds are hosting a community event with the mount & blade subreddit

Users who are viewing this thread

The problem with reddit was always that they hated warband mp. You go there you’ll see the common view is that warband was everyone spinning and abusing animations to win fights. It was just a very entitled attitude, and even the guys who host the reddit CC’s will tell you the same. Nothing wrong with the CCs they are a ton of fun btw!
No one that hosts the subreddit events thinks that Warband suffered from either of those issues. You're talking out of your ass, the regulars all share the same issues with the game that the forums do.

No one that hosts the subreddit events thinks that Warband suffered from either of those issues. You're talking out of your ass, the regulars all share the same issues with the game that the forums do.
I’m not talking about the discord, everyone there shares my, squirrel, sault, and your thoughts, I’m saying reddit itself which is mostly composed of singe player players.

I know most of the guys on the discord, and they all have the same issues with mp we do and really liked warband. Reddit demographic is different from your discord’s demographic

How proactive are you with a BL tournament tho? I suspect as proactive as with our epic duel. You know you can't just say "Free whenever, Callum" on the forum and expect him to organize a tournament for you, right?
Because I just read through the thread again - Barry and me contacted Callum regarding Bannerlord tournaments on July 5, 2019 and asked what TaleWorlds plans were. We offered to host an initiation tournament and said we'd like to coordinate it with them. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to share Steam conversations, but what you are saying couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:
Clarification to the post: They are allowing the subreddit Discord the ability to host a server, of which its demographic is much closer to a more regular, casual MP player than the SP "soy reddit chungus wholesome camel Keanu 100 butter" "average reddit user". Many of the regulars who formally participated in the Calradic Campaign will most likely participate in this, and the management team themselves are not "epic soy reddit wholesome Keanu reeves chungus", but instead normal, maybe a bit more casual, MP players like you and I.

And again, check out Sault's post - they hosted with the Discord because it's easier for their purposes than more organised, individually managed, small competitive servers, and not because the subreddit Discord's playerbase (which isn't wholesome Keanu chungus reeves butter camel 100) likes TW and BL any better than other players.

I'm not TW obviously so I can't know their reasoning but I am one of the moderators/event organizers for the /r/mountandblade so I'll give my two cents.

To start off, due to the nature of reddit's system the singleplayer-only community on the sub is able to drown out the MP posts and community pretty easily, and while small, they do exist. As a result most of our multiplayer stuff happens on our discord, where we organize and run the multiplayer events for the sub. These are: Mod Night, an "off season" even where we would give players a chance to play the multiplayer for mods that are otherwise dead in MP/popular with the community, Casual Night which was an excuse to play native battle and siege, and the Calradic Campaign.

The Calradic Campaign is by far our oldest and most significant event, it celebrated its four year anniversary and final event in Warband in March. If you've heard of it before you'll know it's casual, but it fills a niche that to our knowledge isn't really represented in any other kind of event. If you want to see more what it's like here's a video by a youtuber that attended one of our best:

Most of our multiplayer community isn't competitive and likely never will be, but they aren't the same as the drooling SP-only people whining about "animation abuse" that I imagine most of you are picturing. The core players at our events see the same issues with Bannerlord's combat and MP setup that everybody else does. Notably, we have been quite frustrated with the class system and lack of battle mode, as it could require fairly extensive workarounds on our part to make our style of events function in Bannerlord.

As for Taleworld's reasoning in choosing us "first" for a custom host event, I think it comes down to the current functionality of the game. We have a history of hosting casual events with non-standard gamemodes in addition to the Calradic Campaign, meaning we don't necessarily need complicated server tools, specific modes, secondary balancing etc. For a competitive event, they would need at a bare minimum server tools capable of switching the factions for skirmish - in addition they would need to be available as many times as it took a full tournament to run its course. To host a *good* tournament, they'd need yet more server tools, time, etc.

To summarize, I believe they chose us not because we're uncritical of their game (we aren't, and Taleworlds knows this), but because we're easier to host a decent event for with the resources they currently have available. All they need is the gamemodes they currently have available, a server slot, and someone able to run the server for an hour or two at the specified time. As we routinely filled a 200-slot server in Warband I'm hoping the event, which will be using TDM where we would normally use battle, will help Taleworlds see the value of including classic gamemodes and more in-depth server tools for all of our sake.

Thanks and hope I was able to clear some things up, if you've got questions feel free

Thanks for your response, when I finish work I’ll reply properly and edit your clarification (as well as maybe Squirrel’s) into the OP.

nGvJEgZ.jpg

Initial results seem to suggest tork is also bad at bannerlord, possibly worse than warband. Not sure, further rigorous tests required. All are welcome to participate.

Read my post again, I quoted what you were saying. :smile:
Ok so you probably noticed that my post wasn't related to you and Barry, right?

nGvJEgZ.jpg

Initial results seem to suggest tork is also bad at bannerlord, possibly worse than warband. Not sure, further rigorous tests required. All are welcome to participate.
And I was wondering why you said gg Tork, I thought you were as excited as me because I spent 3 or 4 rounds to finally get a kill by thrown rock.

Ok so you probably noticed that my post wasn't related to you and Barry, right?

You said:

"I think they [reddit] are first mainly because they were more proactive in that regard. I see nothing wrong with the more active and motivated players being the first to host an event."

Followed by:

"I mean, the "competitive" scene seems to be only talking, whining a lot, meanwhile some americans managed to host tournaments with what they had."

It's crazy how you keep referring to people and scenes but as soon as any actually challenges you it's not actually about them.

Liar, coward, or stupid - pick one.

You said:

"I think they [reddit] are first mainly because they were more proactive in that regard. I see nothing wrong with the more active and motivated players being the first to host an event."

Followed by:

"I mean, the "competitive" scene seems to be only talking, whining a lot, meanwhile some americans managed to host tournaments with what they had."

It's crazy how you keep referring to people and scenes but as soon as any actually challenges you it's not actually about them.

Liar, coward, or stupid - pick one.
Oh hey, OGC(Our Glorious Chicken), I see you're not tired of taking my words out of the context and twisting them as you like. I was talking to Scar and the particular message he quoted and then confirmed that he was talking about that message in quotes, wasn't referring to the community as a whole, but to your personally.

But since you brought this up then yeah, I'm still standing by my words, because I haven't seen the "competitive" scene that you refer to as a whole being as proactive as the said americans. You sure do seem unwilling to host a tournament with current conditions and wait for better ones. And it's not bad, like I said to the guy with japanese nickname, it's just doesn't show you as being as proactive as the said americans. No need to get worked up over it.

No lies, no cowardice or stupidity here. Only your projections.

Thanks to OGL for clearing up the obvious. There is no competitive scene as a whole, neither in NA nor EU. The Americans didn't all go up to Callum and asked individually, it was a few individuals. Just like them Barry and me approached TaleWorlds, a lot earlier than they did even. By the way though, what could be more proactive than three European Native teams accepting the first round of Beta invitations and providing feedback for 6 months straight on competitive related issues in Bannerlord? Surely must have given away the impression we were interessted in getting our hands on the game and play it competitively as soon as possible.

We are waiting for the ability to host custom servers, we have asked for it a hundred times in various threads. The Reddit event did get custom servers, so I don't know what we are appearently doing wrong. Maybe too much criticism of the game? Who knows...

Oh hey, OGC(Our Glorious Chicken), I see you're not tired of taking my words out of the context and twisting them as you like. I was talking to Scar and the particular message he quoted and then confirmed that he was talking about that message in quotes, wasn't referring to the community as a whole, but to your personally.

But since you brought this up then yeah, I'm still standing by my words, because I haven't seen the "competitive" scene that you refer to as a whole being as proactive as the said americans. You sure do seem unwilling to host a tournament with current conditions and wait for better ones. And it's not bad, like I said to the guy with japanese nickname, it's just doesn't show you as being as proactive as the said americans. No need to get worked up over it.

No lies, no cowardice or stupidity here. Only your projections.

So you've gone for the bold choice of picking both lying and cowardice. Respectable!

Back
Top Bottom