Need More Info PS4 - Inaccessible menus and disappearing save file

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Platform
PS4

PoorChungus

Recruit
Summary: After several hours of play on a New Campaign, menus in the bottom left (e.g. inventory, journal, etc.) remain inaccessible. They cannot be interacted with. At first, I thought these might open up with the tutorial, but this persisted long after the tutorial was completed and I got the message saying I was free to wander Calradia.

I saved and exited, closed the game and relaunched it. "Continue Campaign" is greyed out, and hovering over it shows "Can't find the save file for the latest save game." This despite having saved as a new file and seeing multiple autosaves occur.

How to Reproduce: play New Campaign
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):

Regarding the inaccessible hud elements, is this behavior persists between different gameplay sessions and save files? Do you remember doing something that might trigger this? Or do you remember doing something and after that, the HUD elements are not clickable?
When you relaunched the game was the user profile the same as the first play-through? The save files are linked with the accounts as far as i remember. If they are the same then it's an issue for sure.

To your first question, yes, it persists--they were never accessible. Only used my own account on the same console. I started a new campaign this morning to test it and the save issue again, and checked on my son's console from his account to see what was going on at his end / with his game. Maybe we're just doing something wrong, in which case I'll feel silly but pleased, but it feels like we've spent a lot of time trying every button or combination of buttons in every different screen trying to access the hud elements. The most natural/likely path to me so far seems to be to use the TouchPad from the map, which opens the encyclopedia. From there, we can glide down to the other hud elements in the bottom left. We see notifications over some of them, but haven't found a way to interact with them. Only one that can be used is the encyclopedia.

RE the save file: After starting a new campaign, I did "Save as", and I could see my old save files from the first campaign in the list. Saved as a new file, quit to main menu, "continue campaign" was now lit up so I clicked that and loaded the new campaign I'd just saved. Was able to load the old campaign from the pause menu. I saved and exited again, and now "continue campaign" works and does load that original campaign I'd put a few hours into. Not sure what went wrong with that first campaign file for the game to "not see it" from the main menu, but it works now. No problem on my son's console. He didn't manually save, but "continue campaign" was usable and loaded his last autosave no problem.

Will forward these informations to the team. Just asking to make sure, are both consoles the same? (as in both ps4 or ps5 or they are different?) Also, are they all up to date regarding the system version? Might be related can't rule that out.

Will forward these informations to the team. Just asking to make sure, are both consoles the same? (as in both ps4 or ps5 or they are different?) Also, are they all up to date regarding the system version? Might be related can't rule that out.
Thanks. Both consoles are PS4s. Both should be updated to the latest system version, but I won't be able to confirm until tonight.

I second this concern.
None of my menus work, they only work if I ride into a village...then and only then can I drag my cursor over the tabs in the bottom left side of the screen and access them. The encyclopedia, is the only "menu" I can access "freely".
All other menus including inventory, quests etc. Are blocked unless I ride into a village.

I second this concern.
None of my menus work, they only work if I ride into a village...then and only then can I drag my cursor over the tabs in the bottom left side of the screen and access them. The encyclopedia, is the only "menu" I can access "freely".
All other menus including inventory, quests etc. Are blocked unless I ride into a village.
Thanks for this. Wasn't aware of it. You really need to finagle around until you find that one tiny sweet spot on each tab that highlights it and makes it "interactable", but I'll take whatever workaround I can get.

Yeah it works in a pinch. It's only day 2 of the official release, so I gotta say I am going to patient. Still though, I'm hoping soon there will be a little less "finagling" and little more convenience. It's hard to play without menus.

It's like they're outside the playable area of the screen, for lack of a better term. Possibly a resolution issue. Looks like the hud layout is slightly different when you enter a village, and that gives you that little bit more you need to click on the buttons at the bottom left. I'm noticing it more now with the icons at the bottom right (denars, health, morale, etc.) Apparently, we should be able to over over them and get a tooltip description, but I can't. I can't even reach the bottom 3 icons. Cursor just won't go down there.

It's like they're outside the playable area of the screen, for lack of a better term. Possibly a resolution issue. Looks like the hud layout is slightly different when you enter a village, and that gives you that little bit more you need to click on the buttons at the bottom left. I'm noticing it more now with the icons at the bottom right (denars, health, morale, etc.) Apparently, we should be able to over over them and get a tooltip description, but I can't. I can't even reach the bottom 3 icons. Cursor just won't go down there.
It really hinders the game, in a huge way, for now. Without those sacred menu's, we don't have access to some very vital functions. They're there, the icons, dangling in front of me...and Oh, I want so bad- to be able to access those icons.
Yah know, so I can use the camp functions, check gear out...look at my quests n stuff. It's the simple things that I need, but can't use :sad:

A screenshot would help a lot with debugging this issue since these navigation buttons can be in different states.(enabled, disabled, out of screen/hidden, semi disabled etc.)

- Are the buttons out of screen for everyone?
- Are they grey/black and not clickable at all?
- Is the issue not being able to go into the "cursor" mode(with Circle/B button) while moving around the campaign map?
- Is the Display Area setting set correctly? https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html (We use this setting to position the UI inside the display area)

Last edited:
A screenshot would help a lot with debugging this issue since these navigation buttons can be in different states.(enabled, disabled, out of screen/hidden, semi disabled etc.)

- Are the buttons out of screen for everyone?
- Are they grey/black and not clickable at all?
- Is the issue not being able to go into the "cursor" mode(with Circle/B button) while moving around the campaign map?
- Is the Display Area setting set correctly? https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html (We use this setting to position the UI inside the display area)

This helps. Thanks. I was not even aware of the cursor mode. No more entering a village just to use the buttons. Does not seem like as big of an issue, but the bottom row of icons at the bottom-right of the screen remains out of reach.

Screen shot here with the display area at its smallest (in which I've successfully highlighted the "clan" button--yay):

184191c7ca992-f2b153-CAD3-B223-FC652-3-CA79-C36-AFB8-AABF-message-426718199607170-1666867967215.jpg

That's as far down as the cursor will go, so there's no reaching that bottom row with wages, etc.. If I enlarge the display area, the image simply gets progressively pushed off screen, to the point where, if in the display area settings the bounding box lines up with very edge of the TV screen, that bottom row is no longer visible / is off screen.

Does not seem like as big of an issue, but the bottom row of icons at the bottom-right of the screen remains out of reach.
You can extend the info bar at the right bottom of the screen with the arrow pointing up, that will show you the remaining stats at the second row.

Screen shot here with the display area at its smallest (in which I've successfully highlighted the "clan" button--yay):
That's as far down as the cursor will go,
This seems like a TV/monitor issue, maybe you can fiddle with its settings to get a better view of the UI.

You can extend the info bar at the right bottom of the screen with the arrow pointing up, that will show you the remaining stats at the second row.

This seems like a TV/monitor issue, maybe you can fiddle with its settings to get a better view of the UI.
This isn't some minor little thing. This isn't something we can just mess with the settings and fix, something isn't right we don't have a free cursor like on warband while on the world map. Or any access to UI at all. You're right on one thing though, it "also" seems to be struggling fitting my TV. Some of my HUD is completely cut off from visibility. Just don't undermine this, as something minor. Cuz it needs to get fixed, like I said in a previous reply. You can't use 90% of the vital functions in this game right now.
This isn't just that my TV or whatever is configured weird...it's the game, the game won't allow people to access any menus. At all.
Unless your at a village. Which is extremely inconvenient, still can't use the camp function or do anything.
It's not just being touchy, where we can change settings to make it work. It's just won't work. Believe.

Last edited:
This isn't some minor little thing. This isn't something we can just mess with the settings and fix, something isn't right we don't have a free cursor like on warband while on the world map. Or any access to UI at all. You're right on one thing though, it "also" seems to be struggling fitting my TV. Some of my HUD is completely cut off from visibility. Just don't undermine this, as something minor. Cuz it needs to get fixed, like I said in a previous reply. You can't use 90% of the vital functions in this game right now.
This isn't just that my TV or whatever is configured weird...it's the game, the game won't allow people to access any menus. At all.
Unless your at a village. Which is extremely inconvenient, still can't use the can't function or do anything.
It's not just being touchy, but we can change settings to make it work. It's just won't work. Believe.
Sounds like Circle/B button issue, have you tried using Circle/B? And if doesn't work, what happens when you press Circle/B while moving on the campaign map?

Also have you tried setting your display area size through system settings?

- PS4: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html
- PS5: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-4k-resolution-guide/#adjust
- Xbox: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/display-sound/change-tv-display-resolution (Calibrate TV option)

Okay. So hell yeah, you were right about the "press circle/B" I didn't know it toggled the cursor. To either a cursor to access the inventories or, the map cursor, that you use to move the map around. Any idea on how to wait, or camp if you will.

Back
Top Bottom