Prospective US Campaign

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry for the lack of updates, and that the only update you'll get for a few days is that I'm going to Orlando and as such won't be on until Monday.

However, I do want to keep the game as simple as possible; more like a ladder for clan matches, except less boring, than a campaign involving economics and technology.

I'll start drafting some potential rules, if that's ok with you. 

Oh, and keep your head down!  Orlando can be nasty!

By basic photo editing.  Just get a screenshot of calradia, and using a black magic :wink: marker, divide it into provinces. 

COGlory said:
By basic photo editing.  Just get a screenshot of calradia, and using a black magic :wink: marker, divide it into provinces.

I bow to the might of the powerful wizard.  :shock:

Seemed you might be interested about this. It was not done with Risk in mind, but maybe it can be of some help.

calradiaprovincesflat.png

I like that map Nireco. I really like that map. Well done.
I suggest each week irl is a turn in game time. All clans have to do a certain action which will be determined by a set of rules that I will write tomorrow. I'm thinking more of a MTWII sort of style, while still having our own individual features in there. Tomorrow, you'll have your rules.

I love the map! Great work Nireco.

I'm guessing since Outlawed is muted we won't have our rules for a bit longer.

Just one suggestion.  Wouldn't it make sense to organize activity such as NA ladders or tournaments first to see how active these guilds are before trying to push the idea of a complex ruleset on a hypothetical map into some sort of board game?  Or maybe I'm just crazy, but making something complex with no idea how much activity is even there to participate leads to lots of ideas that never actually happen.  Even if something similar is going on for EU players, unless I'm mistaken, I've seen nothing to gauge the NA populations activity/interest yet other than a few frequent forum posters who wish their was some kind of persistent map to fight over, and even so, saying individuals are interested is completely different than actually fielding an organized group for it.  If this works, more power to the guys who are setting it up, just playing the devils advocate here since the thread seems loaded full of creative optimists throwing ideas around that may not be viable for the NA population currently.  Start small, then expand, is a safer approach.

Hi guys, I'm back.

Nireco: uhhh, I asked Ursca to make a map already, and ..
2ch03nc.png
1zp7e5i.png

I'm currently working on provinces.

Outlawed: Sorry to see you're muted, and I look forward to the set of rules you have promised. I think the week idea is a great one and I was thinking of MTW2 as well, although I hadn't come up with any plausible ways to represent it that way.

Grom: Eh, it doesn't seem too far stretched. Basically a ladder/tournament as you said except instead of matches being arbitrarily decided by the organizers of the ladders, they are decided by the clans' choices; and if they lose a battle, then they aren't kicked out. Unless, of course, said battle is over their last territory.

Alright. First I'm PMing the signed-up clan leaders just to make sure they are on board.

socks said:
Nireco: uhhh, I asked Ursca to make a map already, and ..

That map probably works better. Calradia have too open landscape.

You also asked Outlawed already to write rules, or he volunteered. But I got inspired and decided to write one candidate for rules. There should be some thread to collect the different campaign rules, so that they could be found when needed.

Game overview

The campaign map is composed of provinces, which form larger unities. Kingdoms produce units relative to how much area they control. On every province must be at least one unit occupying the province.

The game starts with two special starting turns in which players select areas to start from. After this starts normal turns where each kingdom moves their armies and try to conquer provinces from enemies.

Starting turns

Distribute provinces
Every player selects order of preference for all provinces and sends them to adjudicator. Random order for kingdoms is selected and the first kingdom places an unit to the most preferable province in his/her list. All the other players place an unit to their most preferable province. This is repeated until all the provinces are distributed.

Place reinforcements
On the second starting turn all the players get 20 units to place into their own territories. They select the territories and amounts and send them to the adjudicator.

Normal turn

Turn consist of two action steps. Both of them are made simultaneously and sent to adjudicator. The first step is combined from supply and creating new units phases. The second step consist only the moving armies phase. In addition to these steps there will be battles.

Supply
On supply phase all players may select one own province from which to move any number of units to another own province. The provinces need to be connected by owned provinces. At least one unit must be left to the province from which the units are moved.

Choices for supply phase are made simultaneously with the creating new units phase.

Examples:
Red player have 5 units in province A. He could move maximum of 4 of them away. He decides to move 2 of them to province B. He can make the supply move, because also the province C in between the provinces A and B is occupied by red player.

Blue player would want to move 3 units from province D to province E, but he cannot move them because green player had cut blue player's territory to two halves.

Creating new units
All players get new units and place them to their own provinces. All choices are made simultaneously and sent to the adjudicator.

The basic amount of units is the number of his provinces divided by 3 and rounded down. Minimum of 3 new units will be gained even if he occupies fewer than 9 provinces.

Whole unities will provide 3 additional units to the player who occupies it.

The units are placed on any amount of the player's own provinces. Any number on each province, so that the total number of placed units equals the amount that player can create new units.

Examples:
Blue player occupies total of 13 provinces, which include one whole unity. He will get 7 new units.

Red player occupies total of 7 provinces and is missing one province from whole unity. He will get the minimum 3 basic amount of units and gain nothing from unity, because of missing province.

Moving
All players may attack with their units to the neighboring provinces. At least one unit must always be left to every province. One player can attack one province only from one province. He can make multiple attacks from one province if he has enough units.

If more than one enemy is attacking some province, only the one with most units attacking will attack. All the other attacks are cancelled and units appointed to them are returned to defend the province they tried to attack from. If the attackers have equal amount of units attacking, one of them is selected randomly.

After all moves are done, there will be provinces with armies of at most two different kingdoms. Control of provinces with armies of different kingdoms will be fought. For battle rules look for section battle. After battles there will again be only one kingdom's units on those provinces.

Examples:
Red player have provinces with 5 and 8 units next to blue player's province with 9 units. Maximum number of attacking units red player get is 7 units from province which had 8 units.

Blue player attacks red player's province A with 4 units and yellow player attacks the same province with 6 units. The blue player's attack is cancelled because yellow player had larger attack.

Green player have 6 units in the middle of his own territory with no neighboring enemy provinces. He cannot do anything to those units.

Battles

Some base amount of battle is decided by the participating sides. 5 or 10 would be good amounts.

Each unit on battle gives 1 advantage to the kingdom it battles for. Defender of province gets additional 1 advantage or they can change this 1 advantage to privilege of choosing spawn, otherwise both sides are to play equally many rounds on both of the spawns.

Both sides get (base amount  +  (advantage * base amount * 0.1)) players to battle. The battle is then fought in Warband. Battle should be played some predefined amount of rounds at least 6 and the result needs to be reported.

Losing party of the battle loses all his units from that province. Winning party can keep the amount of wins divided by total rounds part from his units on the province, rounded down. Minimum of 1 unit will be kept on the province regardless of battle result.

Examples:
Red player have 3 units attacking blue player's 4 units. Blue player decides to get the +1 advantage from defending. They decide to fight 8 rounds. Both sides fight 4 rounds on spawn A and 4 on spawn B. The base amount of soldiers were decided to be 5. Red gets 7 soldiers and blue gets 8 soldiers. Blue player wins with result 4-3 and one round was draw. Red player loses all 3 units and blue player loses half of his soldiers and keeps 2.

I think the turns really should be simultaneous, otherwise there is only battles on one side of the map each turn and the players need to wait for turn much longer. Those rules are somewhat similar to Risk, but Risk don't have simultaneous moves, so I had to make some heavy modifications.

Edit: But maybe you want a bit more complex rules

@complex rules comment: I dunno. Some people want more complexities, such as economics, research, etc., and others want to keep it simple. I'm divided between them, but the general consensus seems to be to keep it simple.

Outlawed's week-per-turn system would work well, I think. It gives clans time to figure out decisions, and means that if you go to bed you won't wake up with the game having been entirely changed the next morning. The question is what a turn would entail, which brings up a whole new set of complexities;

• will there be 'armies', determining if a clan can defend a province and how strong its defending force can be? If so, what determines how many and how strong a clan's armies are?
  • what else could a turn be used to determine that is still relatively simplistic?
  • what effect would mountains, oceans, and other geographic features have on turn-based movement or combat?

EDIT: every clan that signed up as interested besides nK has confirmed.

Alright, so everyone's confirmed. That's six clans.

Perhaps I'll divide the map into provinces, and the clans will have their pick of what provinces they want to have - there'd be a cap on the number of provinces.

Basically what would happen would be the clans would be selected in order of their responses to a post - for example, if nK responded to the post first, then it'd be able to choose the first province, then the next clan who had responded would choose one, and so on and so forth until it all clans had chosen one, at which point nK would choose another, adjacent to their first one. This would go on until each clan had a set number of provinces. The remaining provinces would be neutral, but the clans could take them over / fight over them.

Of course, first rules have to be decided. I'm really drawing a blank on them, but I know I want them to be as simple as possible.

Back
Top Bottom