Prospective US Campaign

Users who are viewing this thread

socks

Master Knight
okiN said:
So, there has been a lot of talk about MP campaigns for Warband, and I personally am very interested in the idea. Basically, the concept is to have some kind of campaign map with multiple nations, formed in this instance of clans or coalitions thereof, competing for dominance over many matches and longer periods of time, working under some kind of ruleset that governs the whole thing. The Oceanic clans already have their own campaign underway, and I think it looks like a lot of fun.

I really think we EU clans should get something like this going as well -- just a relatively simple framework of rules using the vanilla game as a base, at least to start with. Non-clanners could also play, forming loosely tied mercenary bands that offer their services to certain clan nations (for a price, something to be worked out in the game mechanics) and take part in some of the battles. However, before we get into the particulars of it, we should probably see how much overall interest there is among EU clans and players for something like this. For those taking part in the Battle for Calradia, this isn't meant to be a replacement, but a different kind of campaign that we could probably start fairly soon, running it alongside tBfC and as we wait for that project to get ready to begin. The idea here is to start small.

Some brainstorming for ideas is fine, though. For example, when I was talking to Hethwill just now, he mentioned the idea of champion duels before battles. This is a fairly cool thematic idea, I think, but it should probably be optional to avoid overprivileging clans that have top-notch duellists. Here's my idea of how that could work: If a challenge is issued by one side and accepted by the other, each team elects a champion, and the two engage before the battle starts, with both teams watching. After the duel is over, the battle itself starts, but the losing party (most likely one of the clan's top players) will be unable to take part while he recovers from his loss. However, if the recipient clan declines the challenge, I don't think there should be any penalty aside from a certain loss of face.

On a more general level, if we do this, do you think we should base our ruleset on the one being used by the Oceanics, or write our own from scratch? Also, would people prefer a hex-based map like theirs, or one using drawn-out regions/provinces, similar to many other strategy games?

Another big question: do we want to have mostly single-clan nations, or larger coalitions? Combining multiple clans under one banner could help with filling teams and making matches happen, but I can understand why some people might not like that idea.
This and the Oceanic campaign have inspired me far enough that I think there should be a US equivalent. We have enough clans [the Hoboknights, nK, POM, HBS, DoF, PRT, to name but a few]. My idea for how the campaign map would work would be dividing a drawn map up into a number of provinces, each of which can be contested in multiplayer between the opposing parties at a set date and time, with various MP maps representing said provinces. For example, Field by the River or Ruins might represent villages, the various castle maps would represent castles, and Village, Nord Town, and Scene 5 would represent towns. A region that is on the coast might be represented by Port Assault. Large, empty areas would be represented by Random Plains, Steppe, or similar.

The various factions could ally, declare war on eachother, trade, etc.

Another possible idea would be to have each member of a clan participating represent an 'army' that can move from region to region; you wouldn't be able to participate in a battle for a region if your 'army' wasn't there already or in a neighboring region.

So, is anyone interested?

Interested Clans:
A-Team
Defenders of Faith
the Hoboknights
Holy Brothers of Suno
American Court [Clan died]
nK

Marin; basically, yes.

By the way, does anyone know how to make a composite image of the Warband map? Because it'd be ideal for use in this :smile:

Marin's reference to tBfC brought up an interesting point in my mind; what factions would the clans use?

In tBfC each clan had a unique faction made for them, although iirc CoR is the only one who has a faction so far due to the complexities involved. Perhaps each clan should choose a faction from native?

- bear in mind that more than one clan could have one faction.

socks said:
Since I'm basing the US one off this, I might as well input some ideas here;

Each member of a clan participating would represent an 'army' of that clan. So if one member was on the other side of the campaign map from a battle, they wouldn't be able to participate, whereas if they were in that region or in a neighboring region, they would be able to. This would force clan leaders and members to put some thought into their actions - for example, they might want to have all their armies along the border with the enemy or close enough to deploy, as would be the case irl.

To compensate for the lack of players in battles, perhaps bots could be used? AI pathways in the custom-made maps [e.g., village, port assault, etc] has vastly improved from where it is before, and bot battles are highly enjoyable on random maps imo.
EDIT: alternative, less radical solution; the size of armies on the campaign map determines how many members can participate in a battle.

Sorry for doublepost, but parties interested should be paying attention and posting in the EU thread, since I'm basing the US campaign off it in terms of mechanics.

Alright, cool.

Again, check out the EU topic. That's where the cool **** occurs; this one is basically a sign-up sheet for interested US clans.

A crossover between the EU and US campaigns was mentioned several times [as in, explorers from the one finding the other.]. The American Court could be a state of the larger, EU-based, CoR faction. A colony, if you will.

All up to you of course :smile:

Back
Top Bottom