Proposed Presentation Changes for Events & Tournaments

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fietta

buıʇʇǝs uoıʇɔǝɹıp ʞɔɐʇʇɐ
Marquis
Hello!

Following the implementation of the community calendar that showcases the upcoming events and the sharing of community events on social media channels (Twitter, Facebook), we've been looking at more ways to expose your events to the whole community.

The next change is the improvement of the forum structure to work better with the new "Groups" feature that was introduced with the change to the XenForo forum platform.

As it stands right now, you can share Bannerlord MP events within The Fields of Valour - Multiplayer board or within your dedicated group. Tournament organizers also use the Fields of Valour - Multiplayer board to display their Sign-up thread there (which provides more exposure than just listing it in their group). These sign-up, one-day events and other tournament threads can easily get lost in that board though.

We would like to provide a central board that acts as a showcase for all on-going events and allows tournament & event organizers to display their "Main" or "Sign-up" thread there. This will provide a regular forum user or a visitor with quick and easy access to all on-going events.

Without trying to elaborate it too much, here's how it would look like.

The "Tournaments & Events" category would be listed under "The Realm". It would contain the "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord" and "Mount & Blade: Warband" boards. This would be the only separation on the board level. Further filtering between events will be achieved with prefixes.
0961b8f22e2f6e36781ca97429c5f50c.png

Each of the two boards will also hold a sub-board for "Completed" tournaments & events. Once a tournament or event is concluded, it will be moved to the "Completed" board. Should the event organizer decide to keep the same thread for the next iteration of the event, he would, of course, be able to keep it in the main board.

The two boards (BL and WB) will contain the following prefixes:
- Base (WB only): Native, DLC, Mod
- Type: Skirmish, Captain,...
- Stage: Open, In-progress, Completed

You will be able to swap between these prefixes as time progresses and the "Stage" of your event changes.
aaacbec86e5a52a07ed14a6678468691.png

The same principles will be applied to the Mount & Blade: Warband board. Please note that all NW and WFaS events will also be posted under the Warband board.

All existing events & tournaments, both concluded and in-progress would also be moved to these two new boards. Concluded one-thread events (non-recurring but with iterations like #1, #2,...) will be moved straight to the "completed" subboard. A single event/tournament can only have one "Live" thread in these boards. If more threads are needed, you're encouraged to create a group.

Let's take a look at some existing examples and how this will work with the new system:

Example #1 - BEAST
The BEAST tournament has multiple threads. The sign-up thread would be posted under Tournaments & Events -> Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. The main tournament organization would happen directly in their group that they could promote directly through the Sign-up thread via the BB code (explained here).

Example #2 - Bannerlord Draft Cup [BDC]
Since this was a tournament that didn't require multiple threads, no group creation was needed. Should a similar event occur again, a sign-up thread would be posted under Tournaments & Events -> Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. The thread would act both as a showcase for the event, present rules, allow players to sign-up and present the results when the event concludes.

Example #3 - Call to Arms Friday Bannerlord event
This is a weekly reoccurring event. As such, the event thread would be kept in the Tournaments & Events -> Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord board. If a reoccurring event stopped operating, it would be moved to the "Completed" board.

Please leave your feedback on the proposed changes!

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that users will also be able to visit this Tournaments & Events board in an organical way, from The Fields of Valour - Multiplayer, where a hyperlink leading to it will be placed just above the pinned threads.

It would be an addition to the Bannerlord MP section, where there is no bespoke tournament board at the moment, and it would merely be a drop-in replacement of the current board link for the Warband tournament board. Rather than taking you to a child board of the Arena, you click in the same place and are taken to the new Tournaments & Events board for Warband. The Bannerlord board setup will mirror this, and a link to the Bannerlord Tournaments & Events board will be put within the Fields of Valor board.

As seen above, these boards are actually visible immediately from the main index of the forum and are high on the list of boards, as they are community-driven and community-oriented events which are essential to our long-term success.

Well, now you have to become a member of a group to view its content. Not what I'd consider making tournaments more visible.

Edit: I actually I can't seem to be able to view the content either way. What's up with that?

I am a little worried about it only being seen by players who are already interested & involved in tournaments
For Bannerlord's competitive community, that might be a hindrance, as it still is forming from new recruits (using military jargon). For Warband's competitive community, that might not be a great deal, as the lion's share of it is comprised of the old guard. That being said, the latter group is barely expanding in terms of its numbers; therefore, Warband tournaments attract same people who know about the endeavors either way. They all just wait for them to take place; said events' exposure barely matters now.

Anyway, here is my comment below a similar thread in Warband's general discussion section. Since that topic has gathered one response so far (from me), my insight will be more visible here. In order to put everything in one place and not split the feedback across different threads, here is the post.
There are not many replies under this topic, so I wonder if my voice will make an impact on the forum staff's decisions or plans. As far as the content of the thread is concerned, I do think that users would greatly benefit from the implementation of such solutions. The competitive group of players is organized and tightly-knit, so that their needs differ from those of the other ones (usually more casual). Highlighting ongoing tourneys/ events/ one-day tournaments in another board would be a good move. The competitive ones would have an entire cluster of categorized pinpointed threads tailored for them, whereas everyone else would not be subjected to content that does not entertain them.

For Bannerlord's competitive community, that might be a hindrance, as it still is forming from new recruits (using military jargon). For Warband's competitive community, that might not be a great deal, as the lion's share of it is comprised of the old guard. That being said, the latter group is barely expanding in terms of its numbers; therefore, Warband tournaments attract same people who know about the endeavors either way. They all just wait for them to take place; said events' exposure barely matters now.

Anyway, here is my comment below a similar thread in Warband's general discussion section. Since that topic has gathered one response so far (from me), my insight will be more visible here. In order to put everything in one place and not split the feedback across different threads, here is the post.

Any competitive community needs new players coming in as, inevitably, established players gradually stop playing (or playing so much) for various reasons. With both Warband and Bannerlord the commmunities are pretty small but with a large pool of potential cross over from the SP community.

While running tournaments for Bannerlord (and Warband) I often hear variations on the phrase 'I had no idea there were tournaments going on'.
Maybe the changes will make tournaments more visible, I hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom