SP - General Proposed Mechanic - Navies of Calradia

Users who are viewing this thread

foredeekay

Recruit
19ncrc3gtea51.png

Hello - while there has been a lot of discussion regarding naval combat in the future, i wanted to outline how I think it may work in a future update (or more likely, DLC). I have tried to match factions' ships with their historic inspiration, as I will explain below. Each of these ship types make a big difference in how they will be used. I understand this is a long way off but I see so much potential in this game, I can't wait to see what it becomes.

Key Points

• Ships can be built in any of the ports marked in the bottom image - this would take a period of time
  • Initially a player will only be able to build the type of ship that matches the port's location, but as they gain naval skill levels, this restriction will no longer count
  • Ships are expensive, with the Vlandian Cog costing some 60/80k while the Imperial Dromon costing even more (100/120k). Smaller ships like the Sturgian Longship or the Aserai Galley being cheaper (20/40k). Upkeep is also expensive
  • There could be a quest for Aserai and Sturgian culture players which allows them early access to ships
  • Ships will have crews but can also carry a party
  • A fleet of ships can be commanded by a companion or by a player
  • Your companions fleet can be set to fight randomly spawning pirates OR even be ordered to attack enemy trade
  • Larger ships can only be anchored in ports, while lighter ships can drop anchor anywhere allowing their parties to go ashore
  • Fleets will be small - 1-5 ships with crews of 20 -30 for the smaller ships and 40-60 for the larger ones
  • Larger ships will require a higher % of their crews to be sailers (poor in close combat) while longships will be almost entirely warriors
  • Should a fleet be anchored off the shore (in the case of Galley or Longships), the party can go ashore leaving the sailors that come with the ships to defend them. In this time they will be very vulnerable to attack
  • Ships in ports will be protected by the town (although a criminal gang in the town can be paid to burn the ships in port, a mission in which the player can also take part). I previously proposed how relations with Criminal gangs can be developed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MB2Bannerlord/comments/hnjfuf/crimelord_proposed_mechanics/
  • The ability to sail up rivers gives the Galley and Longships major advantages in raiding villages
  • There will be regular merchant fleets travelling between ports

Faction ships (Pictures below)

• Aserai Galley - fast, cheap, weak, can sail up rivers, very manoeuvrable, can be anchored anywhere (edit: a commenter suggested a galley rather than a Galley)
  • Sturgian Longship - fast, cheap, weak, can sail up rivers, excellent at ramming, can be anchored anywhere
  • Vlandian Cog - slow, expensive, well armoured, high towers (great for archers), can only anchor in ports
  • Imperial Dromon - slow, very expensive, extremely well armoured, 3x deck ballistae, can only anchor in ports
  • Merchant ship - very large, well armoured, very large cargo hold, medium speed
  • Khuzait/Battania - I understand these guys have been somewhat left out - the reason is I could not see them as seafaring peoples and this could just be a disadvantage to those factions, but I am happy to hear your thoughts!
There could be variations on all of these but each design would fit the basic type above.

Naval Combat

• Given the difficulty of commanding multiple ships on the high seas, companions will be placed in charge of your ships at the beginning of the battle. Broad orders such as "keep your distance/skirmish", "charge/ram" and "follow me" will be given at the outset. The commander will not be able to order the ship to a certain location
  • Different ships will involve very different play styles
    • Larger ships (Dromon and Cog) will try to keep some distance and rain arrows/artillery on the enemy
    • Smaller ships (Galley and Longship) will try to close as quickly as possible to board
  • Boarding a ship will involve fighting through both the top and bottom decks
  • Sailors are no match for hardened warriors - should Sturgian beserkers get aboard a merchant ship - they're in big trouble

Unit Trees

The sailors that come with each ship could gain experience and levels. This troops would effectively fight like skirmishers

While regular troops can be used on boats, there would also be the "marine" troop trees for each of the cultures. These would be recruitable in port towns. They would be lightly armoured with short stabbing weapons and hatchets, perfect for fighting in the tight confines of a ship.

---

Player Experience Example

you enter a port town and speak to the harbourmaster. You order a longship and pay your 18k gold. You wait one week until your longship is ready. You will be notified once it is ready and you now have the choice to either allocate a companion to command it OR leave it in port. A longship is a smaller vessel so it only has 2 sailors, but has a capacity of 22 men. This means once you reduce your party to 20 men you can command the ship and set sail! Longships can sail where they please so you set out for the Vlandian coast for some rich pickings. You see a lone merchant vessel sailing along the coast. With your superior speed you easily catch it. You know from experience there will likely be 30-40 men aboard. The battle begins with the cumbersome merchant vessel trying to turn its flank to you to allow its sailors (who are not involved in the sailing) to fire arrows upon you. With you superior speed you try to approach from the rear or front in order to minimise arrows. Once you get close, you order your men to throw their grappling hooks. You board the ship much as you would climb a castle wall. Your 20 men (- casualties) would them fight their way through the large merchant ship. Upon victory you control the ship but as you only have 2 sailers, you cannot commandeer it. So you sink it and take what goods you can. All in a days work!

---

Anyway, thats the general idea. I understand we are a long way off this but I would love to hear your thoughts! I know this has been a popular talking point, especially when people discuss Viking Invasion.

Thanks,

foredeekay

P.S.

I have previously made suggestions for other mechanics such as:

Aserai Galley - light/medium

venetian%20galley%20(3).JPG

Sturgian Longship - light

91qdDnP-MxL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Vlandian Cog - Medium/Heavy

Cog5-Square_1024x1024.png

Imperial Dromon - Heavy

Model_of_a_Byzantine_warship_%28dromon%29_at_Athens_War_Museum.jpg