SP - General Proposed Mechanic: Clan Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

foredeekay

Recruit
Hello - so after 200+ hours of play it occurred to me, and many others, that Kingdoms lacked depth. I thought that it would be cool to see intra-kingdom conflicts between (supposedly) allied clans. I propose that these conflicts will go through stages of severity if left unchecked. A weak/indecisive ruler would open the doors to chaos in his kingdom!

Stages

Clan spat - Clan Feud - Clan War

These conflicts would evolve over time without intervention from the King. I have outlined below how the king could stop his lands spiralling into chaos.

Casus Belli

In previous posts I outlined how feasts and plots could work. These random events and schemes could be a constant part of Kingdom politics and a source of animosity. Clans would also pay money to criminal gangs in other clans' cities, either as protection money or for intelligence, or a range of other mechanics. This would also sour relations with the clan owning the city (as outlined here).

• Once two clans' relationship deteriorates below 20% a Clan Spat becomes imminent
  • Every time after this when one clan commits an action that deteriorates their relationship, there is an X% chance that this action will lead to a clan spat
  • I think it would be fun to make it so any action could trigger the feud when the relationship is below 20% - this could mean a feud could be triggered by a botched plot or even an insult at a feast. To have the characters constantly refer back to the incident in their dialogue options would be very cool. Much like in history, sometimes massive amounts of blood was shed for the pettiest reasons

Stage 1 - Clan Spat

• Clans would refuse to allow each other to recruit/trade from their villages/cities or take shelter in their fiefs
  • Clan members would not attend feasts held by the rival clan
  • When rival clans attend the same feast, petty plots to insults and even murder may occur. It is also likely they will challenge each other to duel. This would be an event which would fire and the player could watch (if he is not the one being challenged)
  • Rival Clans' parties would not enter the same armies

Stage 2 - Clan Feud

• Clans will begin attacking each other's caravans and parties
  • Plots to murder/kidnap rival clan members will greatly increase
  • Any workshops rival clans hold in each others cities will be seized
  • Each of the above actions are illegal and would need to be dealt individually with by the King - a feud would be seriously destabilising for a Kingdom - I proposed mechanics for a Kingdom Law and Order system here

Stage 3 - Clan War

• All out conflict - clans would seize each other's fiefs, raid villages
  • The likelihood of captured lords being executed greatly increases
  • Clans would call in other friendly clans to join their side, creating a civil war-like situation and coalitions within the kingdom
  • Should the conflict reach the stage, the kingdom will most likely be crippled and the Kings authority and relations with his nobles would take a massive hit

The King Intervenes

The longer these conflicts continue, and the worse they get, the more the kings influence will be impacted. At any stage a (player or AI) King will be given opportunities to intervene by calling a "council". This would involve members of both clans being called to the Royal Court. Once the council is called there would be a ceasefire for some days. When both clan leaders are in the capital, the King would have the following options to end the conflict:

• Diplomacy: Through a charisma test, the king may talk both leaders back to their senses
  • Gold: The King may choose to pay off both clans
  • The law: The King may imprison both leaders. A risky manoeuvre. There will be an X% chance this will end the feud, depending on the relative strength of the King's clan, as well as the authority of the king. Should this fail, the king's relationship with both clans will be hurt and the conflict will continue
  • Choose a side: The King may simply choose to back the winning horse, declare one clan outlaws and seize their fiefs. This would anger all other nobles in the kingdom (bar the rival clan who would greatly appreciate it)
Edit: The Kingdom could have a law which allows Trial by Combat. Sturgian and Khuzait Kingdoms would start with this enabled. Should both parties agree, the conflict could be ended by a FIGHT TO THE DEATH between both clan leaders. Clan leaders could also offer a champion from within the clan.

Anyway, that is my proposal as to how a clan conflict may work. I also share these to the Taleworlds forum when I feel like there is interest. I also am keen to hear your thoughts and suggestions! I am currently teaching myself to mod so I bring some of my proposed mechanics to life. I love this game and see so much potential in it!

Thanks,

foredeekay

EDIT: Some very cool suggestions:

Chitsa_Chosen suggested that clans could also have feuds outside the kingdom - how would this affect things? Some suggestions:

• A clan spat with a subject clan and an external clan would not be a concern for a ruler BUT once things elevated to the level of Feud, he could be called upon
  • The ruler (player or AI) would be alerted to the feud. To solve this feud they would first need to contact the other factions ruler and demand (or offer) compensation OR offer that both settle the issue amicably
  • Each ruler would then need to enforce the ruling on their respective troublesome clans
  • Should the either clan refuse, the King can use the peace enforcement options above
  • Alternatively he can ignore it and leave it develop into a clan war
  • A clan war with an external clan would mean a full faction war
Chitsa_Chosen also suggested that marriage play a major factor. Absolutely - I hope as the game gets more developed then political threads will start to mean more and actions such as marrying off kids start to have a major impact

Declare_var suggested that the players party (should his roguery be high enough) ambush a caravan while pretending to belong to another clan, thus helping spark a clan war between two rivals. How could this work? Some suggestions:

• Upon stopping a caravan, a player with a high roguery clan will have an additional dialogue option "False flag" - following the battle (to avoid savescumming) there would be a X% chance of success based on the players skill

P.S. Here are some previous proposed mechanics, some of which are referenced above.

They need to just hire you to direct the game development and pay for you to come to sweden. Sorry turkey or where ever they are. Sweden is the other game people

Back
Top Bottom